Alan Hutton

Rich_D

12 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good game today. Loved his attacking play. Some of his one, two's into the box were new from him. Looks like its a training thing from Smith? Nice to see him adding to his game either way.

I agree he did well last night. You can never fault his effort and whist it should be a given that every player gives his all week in week out that isn't the case but with Hutton it is as he never gives less than 100%.

He gets himself into some great positions going forward due to his desire and drive but unfortunately his final ball is often lacking. I doubt at 34 that is going to improve. For now though he is the best we have in that position although I wouldn't be adverse to Bree getting a look in. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree he did well last night. You can never fault his effort and whist it should be a given that every player gives his all week in week out that isn't the case but with Hutton it is as he never gives less than 100%.

He gets himself into some great positions going forward due to his desire and drive but unfortunately his final ball is often lacking. I doubt at 34 that is going to improve. For now though he is the best we have in that position although I wouldn't be adverse to Bree getting a look in. 

Disagree

Elmo was a very good rb last year. 

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The last 10 years have been pretty depressing as a Villa fan and the fact this carthorse of a player has made so many appearances under so many managers is the biggest symbol of this.

I disagree. In our decline in the last 7/8 years it hasn't just been down to a lack of ability it has been down to a lack of effort and too many players not giving a toss and not putting anything like a shift in. You can forgive a lack of ability but you can't forgive a lack of effort. Hutton has never give less than his all.

Of course there are better players out there and why half a dozen managers haven't found one is down to them not Alan Hutton.

As I have said in this topic and the James Bree one personally I would like to see him get a chance at right back and I'd hope eventually Smith will put him in. Obviously for now Smith, like others before him, sees Hutton as one our best full backs and whilst that is the case I'd hope to see more performances from him like on Friday where I thought he did well.

I realise he splits the supporters but for me when I think of things that depress me about this club over the last few years of decline be it owners, managers, players, Alan Hutton doesn't even enter my thoughts.

Edited by markavfc40

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I disagree. In our decline in the last 7/8 years it hasn't just been down to a lack of ability it has been down to a lack of effort and too many players not giving a toss and not putting anything like a shift ........I realise he splits the supporters but for me when I think of things that depress me about this club over the last few years of decline be it owners, managers, players, Alan Hutton doesn't even enter my thoughts.

The first part is undoubtably true but I refuse to give someone credit for effort simply because of a lack of effort from others, besides which I think this praise of Hutton’s effort is actually rather unfounded. But we can agree to disagree.

Absolutely other things over the last 10 years are more depressing than Hutton. But I’m my view few other things are more symbolic of the decline than Hutton’s elevation in the eyes of some to some sort of cult hero status when he is such a flawed and limited player who gives away so many goals. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I disagree. In our decline in the last 7/8 years it hasn't just been down to a lack of ability it has been down to a lack of effort and too many players not giving a toss and not putting anything like a shift ........I realise he splits the supporters but for me when I think of things that depress me about this club over the last few years of decline be it owners, managers, players, Alan Hutton doesn't even enter my thoughts.

The first part is undoubtably true but I refuse to give someone credit for effort simply because of a lack of effort from others, besides which I think this praise of Hutton’s effort is actually rather unfounded. But we can agree to disagree.

Absolutely other things over the last 10 years are more depressing than Hutton. But I’m my view few other things are more symbolic of the decline than Hutton’s elevation in the eyes of some to some sort of cult hero status when he is such a flawed and limited player who gives away so many goals. 

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Actually I do fault his effort, I always have. He bombs forward which is usually of no benefit

Sorry but this is a lie or rubbish,  or both. Hutton's ability to advance forward has been one of our key attacking threats for quite some time. You might not like it, but it definately has had massive benefits to our attacking game, well it did under Bruce anyway. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Sorry but this is a lie or rubbish,  or both. Hutton's ability to advance forward has been one of our key attacking threats for quite some time. You might not like it, but it definately has had massive benefits to our attacking game, well it did under Bruce anyway. 

It’s neither actually.

If you think Hutton has been a “massive benefit to our attacking game” then there is absolutely no point us even discussing it, I’ve certainly no interest in debating it with you.

• Like 1

It speaks to how bad we've been and how low our collective expectations have gradually become that Hutton has been consistently playing for us for so many years and it's been largely accepted.

I usually try to avoid being critical of players but he's one of few I have to make the exception for, he honestly holds us back and the fact that the only positive that can be attributed to a player playing for a club of our size is that "he gives his all" probably says that he shouldn't actually be playing for us (and even then, there are examples down the years where I'd suggest he in fact hasn't given his all. There was a pretty cowardly red card vs Chelsea in the season we went down that comes to mind). Only echoing what Trent says but our right side is openly targeted by other teams because he can't defend, and all he offers going forward is physically getting forward without producing anything outside of the odd anomaly.

Needs to be one of the first replaced for us to kick on imo, it's important we have full backs that can 1) defend competently and 2) receive the ball on the move and be comfortable on it under how Smith wants us to play and Hutton definitely doesn't provide that. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ForfarVillan said:

This forum was full of praises for him not long ago. Fickle bunch with very short memories. 

I don't think a select few people who presumably haven't rated him for a long time (can only speak for myself but I haven't) expressing so is indicative of a fickle bunch of fans. Presumably the same people that have always thought he was good still do so, considering there's posts in here from the past few days praising him. In fact there's people that to this day think he's our best right and left back. I personally wholeheartedly disagree but c'est la vie.

2 hours ago, ForfarVillan said:

This forum was full of praises for him not long ago. Fickle bunch with very short memories. 

To be fair I don't think much has changed, the same people who have always criticised him still are.

While the people who are full of praise for him still like him, but acknowledge that it's coming to the end of the road.

Love him to bits but it's time to phase him out slowly.

Only here till the summer anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForfarVillan said:

It’s odd isn’t it, it’s almost like there are loads of different posters on here with different opinions. I don’t see anything remotely close to fickle opinions on Hutton, quite the opposite in fact from both sides of the debate.

• Like 2

Â