Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Incredible performance from him today.

Hrmmm, not sure I agree completely.  He was caught out positionally SO MANY times.  That said, he gave a whole load of effort and they didn't score so... 

Yes I agree with that. I thought Saha in particular had the beating of him. 

Hrmmm, not sure I agree completely.  He was caught out positionally SO MANY times.  That said, he gave a whole load of effort and they didn't score so...

Hutton got the better of them when it mattered!

Bolasie just kept running past him.  There were so many balls being played over/behind Hutton to Bolasie.  Thought Weimann did a good job getting back to double up quite often.

Bolasie just kept running past him.  There were so many balls being played over/behind Hutton to Bolasie.  Thought Weimann did a good job getting back to double up quite often.

Yes Weimann helped Hutton a lot. 

Both these things are true, Bolasie is tough to mark no matter who you are but I think in general, considering he was always face up to him that he did a good job pushing him too wide to shoot accurately and making him use his weak foot.

I think he had a great game, supported by an ever industrious Weimann who really helped him out.

• Like 1

It's a wonderful thing to watch this bloke bust his arse for Aston Villa. He's never going to get a move to a bigger club at this stage in his career, which makes you wonder why he even bothers. Maybe he likes the manager a lot, or feels he has a point to prove to himself. Whatever, we'll take it. Well done AH.

I just think he's probably relishing the chance to prove the manager and the club wrong. Putting him in the "bomb squad" was a stupid idea.

That's easy to say with hindsight though. Looking back over this thread, its obvious Hutton didn't have the greatest start to his Villa career and many fans on here wanted shot. Remember that tackle on Long?  

To his credit after 2 years in the wilderness he's taken his chance no doubt, and long may that continue.

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

I just think he's probably relishing the chance to prove the manager and the club wrong. Putting him in the "bomb squad" was a stupid idea.

If his motivation to play well was created by the club and manager, and we're benefiting from it, why was it a stupid idea? He was putting in some awful performances when he got dropped.

We were chanting Alan Hutton's name towards the end last night. He got rapturous applause and led the other players over at the final whistle. There was also a rendition of Alan Hutton, to the chorus of 500 Miles, while heavy bladders were being emptied after the game. His was a top performance once again.

• Like 1

If his motivation to play well was created by the club and manager, and we're benefiting from it, why was it a stupid idea? He was putting in some awful performances when he got dropped.

This.

I don't think it was some masterstroke my Lambert. I think he wanted to sell him.

But its hard to argue that it hasn't benefitted Hutton's performances given the tripe he was serving up previously.

This.

I don't think it was some masterstroke my Lambert. I think he wanted to sell him.

But its hard to argue that it hasn't benefitted Hutton's performances given the tripe he was serving up previously.

Still think the bomb squad was Faulkners doing.

When did he get dropped? Back in McLeish's season?

IIRC, before this season, Hutton hadn't played a competetive game for us under Lambert. He didn't even give him a chance. His recent performances cannot be credited to the club for ignoring him for two seasons. Lambert is just lucky that someone that he previously judged to be 'not good enough', turned out to be good enough when Lowton's performances went to shit.

Lambert has also luckily landed on his feet with Okore. From being told by Trent that 'Lambert thinks Okore isn't ready', to him putting in 3 good performances (minus the penalty give-away), surely brings into question Lambert's judgement.

When did he get dropped? Back in McLeish's season?

IIRC, before this season, Hutton hadn't played a competetive game for us under Lambert. He didn't even give him a chance. His recent performances cannot be credited to the club for ignoring him for two seasons. Lambert is just lucky that someone that he previously judged to be 'not good enough', turned out to be good enough when Lowton's performances went to shit.

Lambert has also luckily landed on his feet with Okore. From being told by Trent that 'Lambert thinks Okore isn't ready', to him putting in 3 good performances (minus the penalty give-away), surely brings into question Lambert's judgement.

And during the two seasons in the bomb squad he apparently put in some very good performances for the Sweaty National side too? I still fail to see how isolating experienced players and good wages was a good idea?

Just noticed someone else mentioned it but I'm sure Lambert didn't play him.

He's been a revelation this season and my god have we needed him, he's not a wonder going forward but I think he's good enough at dribbling (committed), has great awareness when tackles are coming in and he's thrown some good crosses in, like the one we saw yesterday, also he overlaps well and pushes players on.

He plays with experience and he's proving that he could have been part of the team a year or so back, great commitment and attitude from him since coming back.

Â