The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Do you ever think they will establish a proper caliphate? And a successful one at that, whether it be global or regional.

Hard to see it ever happening.

I guess in a way the disintegration of Iraq and Syria was the opportunity had it been done very differently, with a lot less exection, rape, slavery, ethnic cleansing and beheading.

A Caliphate not born out of Waabism but with its routes in the real pilars of Islam may have worked. But you know how the west loves a piper democracy!

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed. 

"Some day soon don't know where or when

You're gonna wake up and see the light...."

I fear we have vastly opposing views on that album .

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I managed it in mid 90's, they're going nowhere - ISIS or not!

While we're shooting the breeze I think ISIS as we've known them since 2014 is on the way out, because they will lose physical control of the 'Caliphate'. But.. ISIS is the latest evolution of a belief system that existed long before them and will inevitably emerge again as a global 3.0 version.

I'd also bet that the eventual death of Baghdadi will clear the decks for a reunification of AQ and ISIS, plus whatever new strains emerge with Iran.  post-the ISIS sectarian mess their 'fall' will precipitate in the broader communities.

... with Iran, you mean due to reacting to whatever Iran are doing to murder their Terrorist asses?

Please remember folks that the US/UK are officially on the same side as AQ in Syria... yes allied with Al-Qaeda, or maybe those conspiracy types have it right.. Al CIA-da.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I guess in a way the disintegration of Iraq and Syria was the opportunity had it been done very differently, with a lot less exection, rape, slavery, ethnic cleansing and beheading.

A Caliphate not born out of Waabism but with its routes in the real pilars of Islam may have worked. But you know how the west loves a piper democracy!

A middle east version of the E.U. is entirely possible and may be the best way of getting some semblance of sense in this part of the world... now, they might call that a caliphate, which of course would be a completely different entity to the E.U. :D  Maybe the USA/China would be more comparable to an actual Caliphate as a federal construction.

Can't see it happening in the short term though, 5-15 yrs out, hmmm...

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wasn't that Gaddafi's idea?

ya, or something along those lines but most crucially he also wanted it to use a gold backed currency (or something non-dollar) as the official currency, and the petro-dollar would not oblige.

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah I definitely thinks they balls it up in the sense that they were way too violent and oppressive. But I suppose in their minds that's the way it had to be.would of been interesting to see how things would of went if they had followed a more peaceful path. Personally I can't see it happening myself as for starters there is just too much in fighting. 

• 1 month later...

I have to admit I'm thoroughly confused by what's going on in Syria. Seems like the narrative in the media is shifting away from Assad being a butcher to the US-UK-KSA working in conjunction with ISIS to oust Assad and get a pipeline built. 

I dunno what to think anymore, help

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I have to admit I'm thoroughly confused by what's going on in Syria. Seems like the narrative in the media is shifting away from Assad being a butcher to the US-UK-KSA working in conjunction with ISIS to oust Assad and get a pipeline built. 

I dunno what to think anymore, help

Everyone is lying. 

On 09/11/2016 at 02:39, villakram said:

... with Iran, you mean due to reacting to whatever Iran are doing to murder their Terrorist asses?

Iranian backed and led militias are murdering, raping and torturing their way through the civilian population in 'liberated' Sunni areas of Iraq. Different tie, same suit.

Wild sectarianism is one of the reasons why there will be no resolution to this mess, you're either a wolf or a sheep. It's brutal.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 04:11, StefanAVFC said:

How ridiculous. So how do they paste over the holes in this " theory"? Such as, as soon as they have sex with one of these gigantic virgins, what happens to them now that they are not a virgin anymore? Are they reincarnated back on Earth, or go to a celestial virgin recycling plant, or are just passed off as a hand me down to lesser muslims? What possible motivation, what dangling carrot, is there for any woman to pursue this faith?

It would be funny if it is true, but it was slightly misinterpreted. Idiot blows self up, and goes to Islamaheaven and receives his 72 virgins. Unfortunately, it is 72 30 something year old guys that still live with their parents and play Minecraft all day.

11 hours ago, Awol said:

Iranian backed and led militias are murdering, raping and torturing their way through the civilian population in 'liberated' Sunni areas of Iraq. Different tie, same suit.

Wild sectarianism is one of the reasons why there will be no resolution to this mess, you're either a wolf or a sheep. It's brutal.

I would say, it's more like same underpants, but one side wears them back to front.

It's so similar to what went on in Europe a few hundred yrs back, just with those extra 100 yrs of tech and all those "productivity" gains.

• 3 months later...
On 30/11/2014 at 17:38, Awol said:

Surprised there has been no post yet about the acquittal of Hosni Mubarak yesterday on the charges of murder relating to the protesters killed in Tahrir Square.

And now, Egypt's Hosni Mubarak freed after six years in detention:

Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has been freed from detention, six years after being overthrown.

Mr Mubarak left a military hospital in southern Cairo and went to his home in the northern suburb of Heliopolis, his lawyer said.

He was ordered freed earlier this month after Egypt's top appeals court cleared him over the deaths of protesters in the 2011 uprising.

Mr Mubarak, 88, became president in 1981 after Anwar Sadat's assassination.

He had been at Maadi Military Hospital since 2013, when he was transferred there on bail from Torah prison.

Mr Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted in 2012 of complicity in the killing of protesters who died at the hands of security forces in February, 2011.

Another trial was held and a judge decreed in May 2015 that Mr Mubarak could be released from detention.

However, the government of President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi was reportedly reluctant to free him because of the public backlash that might accompany such a move.

Mr Sisi served as Mr Mubarak's military intelligence chief and led the military's overthrow of his democratically elected successor, Mohammed Morsi, in 2013.

In all, more than 800 people are believed to have been killed as security forces clashed with protesters in Cairo, Alexandria, Suez and other cities around Egypt during the 18-day uprising that forced Mr Mubarak to resign.

He appears remarkably well - perhaps the skepticism about his illness during the trial was well-founded.

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

He appears remarkably well - perhaps the skepticism about his illness during the trial was well-founded.

If you are able assess someone's health by looking at a picture of them, then you're going to revolutionise science.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you are able assess someone's health by looking at a picture of them, then you're going to revolutionise science.

What are you seeking to achieve with this post?

I said (you quoted it):

He appears remarkably well

Edited by snowychap

I read it and chuckled , I liked the dry wit  , you've read it and appear to have seen some offence .. I seriously doubt any was intended

but that's just my opinion seen through Tonyrama chuckle vision tinted glasses

• Like 1

Â