The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

a brit has been arrested on his return back to the uk after helping the kurds fight isis. hes been arrested on terrorism charges :D **** off and arrest the real terrorists.

Blair and Bush ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

How do you tell the real terrorists apart from everyone else?

if there is proof then arrest them, if anyone is preaching extremist views then arrest them. saying that our prisons are basically extremist centres, or at least some of them are.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Wouldn't you want everyone returning from that neck of the woods to at least be questioned?

apparently uk law doesn't automatically make  it a crime to fight in a foreign war , so whilst the answer to your question is probably yes , are there grounds to actually do so ?

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

a brit has been arrested on his return back to the uk after helping the kurds fight isis.

Was he being questioned about what he was doing? Was he suspected of any involvement with the PKK?

Some more info would be good rather than 'fighting ISIS' and 'real terrorists'.

Anyone returning needs to be detained and questioned, not least to debrief them for intelligence purposes. 

That said in the main the Services know who is who and which group they have been with.

The typical profile of UK citizens  fighting with the Kurds is ethnically white British 'Christian', usually with a military background and a desire to 'do something' in terms of fighting ISIS. 

The chaps to worry about in domestic security terms are those with Al Nusra and ISIS who also have a particular profile.

Incidentally graduation from ISIS training involves beheading a prostrate prisoner so they cross the 'rubicon' mentally and physically in terms of commitment. Every last one of them is a murderer, yet a startling number (in the 100's) are back on British streets being hero worshipped by Jihadi Walts and wannabes.  

Not cool, IMHO. 

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

Was he being questioned about what he was doing? Was he suspected of any involvement with the PKK?

Some more info would be good rather than 'fighting ISIS' and 'real terrorists'.

think it was the PKK yes.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

think it was the PKK yes.

PKK are fighting the Turks in Turkey, not ISIS in Iraq and/or Syria. 

If he was fighting ISIS he wasn't with the PKK.

4 hours ago, Awol said:

That said in the main the Services know who is who and which group they have been with.

Sure they do.

Even if they do, do they know which 'side' whichever group someone has been with is on, was on and will be on tomorrow (or even who we or they will be supporting/shouting on)? :)

17 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

if there is proof then arrest them, if anyone is preaching extremist views then arrest them. saying that our prisons are basically extremist centres, or at least some of them are.

Arrest is a function of the police. They can arrest someone for the purposes of gathering evidence, but only with reasonable suspicion. "Proof" can only be determined by a court, not by someone making an arrest.

It is not an offence to be "preaching extremist views", or there would be a lot of locked up Christian preachers. It is an offence to incite violence.

• Like 1

Some of you may know the answer to this better than I do, so I'll ask the noob question:

It seems like an incredibly bad time for the PPK to break their ceasefire with Turkey. I mean, in terms of strategy. But I suspect I'm missing something here.

With everything going to pot everywhere, and Kurdistan being a particular focal point of a where Western powers and Iran see eye to eye - wouldn't this not be an ideal time to unite as much as possible (between Turkish, Syrian and Iraqi Kurds) to fight ISIS? Because the squeeze of the only two big actual proper fighting forces against ISIS are the SAA now they have Russian support, and the Peshmerga with Shia Iran being in support.... Turkey is caught between all of this with a mad leader who seems to be throwing toys out of the pram at everyone.... I would have seen this as a great time to win backing of the West, Russia and Iran - then put pressure after to get autonomy from a Turkey all over the shop, a due-to-be partitioned-anyway Syria and Iraq (which is already part has)

The PPK don't seem, to me, to have picked up and ideal point to continue the uprising against Turkey....

Edited by islingtonclaret
rephrased

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

All humans in a military specifically train to murder other humans also. State endorsed murder is ok though.

in a ideal world we wouldn't need military, but its in the fabric of humans to fight wars.

2 hours ago, villakram said:

All humans in a military specifically train to murder other humans also. State endorsed murder is ok though.

Professional soldiers killing each other is fair enough (it's what they get paid for) but even then there are rules, i.e. The Geneva Conventions - which also govern the conduct of soldiers towards civilian populations. 

For whatever reason (and I wouldn't like to guess your motivation) you are attempting to draw a moral equivalence between that and sawing the head off bound and defenceless individuals. 

Interesting view...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villakram said:

On top of AWOL's post, I know you're wrong. All humans in the military train to use firearms and other weapons. Most undergo combat training, too. Though I don't believe medics always do to the same degree. But they also undergo training and education on the legal use of force, lethal or non- lethal. In the UK you are given rules of engagement cards, detailing what you can and cannot do. You absolutely cannot do murder. You are trained to not to do murder, it's really rather frowned upon and considered to be "not cricket", which as you may know is about as low as a chap can go.

Â