The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I know why they were awarded it. Everbody does,but this is an absolute clusterfunk. 

Quite.

It can't, I think everyone knows that its just a question of when FIFA will admit it.

I just can't see fans or players wanting to go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Quite.

It can't, I think everyone knows that its just a question of when FIFA will admit it.

I just can't see fans or players wanting to go.

And that was before Qatar were deemed persona non grata by the majority of the rest of the region.  McGrath knows what that'll all be like by the time it all pans out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

And that was before Qatar were deemed persona non grata by the majority of the rest of the region.  McGrath knows what that'll all be like by the time it all pans out.

Image result for football no man's land

25 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well... things just got interesting.

The demands being placed on Qatar are never going to be accepted.

They aren't meant to be accepted, it's about creating a casus belli to annex Qatar and all their lovely gas reserves. 

Unless Trump unambiguously reigns the Saudis & UAE back in very smartly it could easily start the biggest conflict since 1945 - and make the US the worlds primary exporter of oil. 

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

They aren't meant to be accepted, it's about creating a casus belli to annex Qatar and all their lovely gas reserves. 

Unless Trump unambiguously reigns the Saudis & UAE back in very smartly it could easily start the biggest conflict since 1945 - and make the US the worlds primary exporter of oil. 

Oh I know, that's what I was getting at. 

Intentionally unacceptable demands shortly after Turkey sends support, things are escalating.

Take it you are up for going to the WC then?

One thing is for sure, that is that America, Norway, Russia and a whole host of smaller oil producers will earn a hell of a lot of money if this conflict flares up. I have a niggling feeling that Trump knows what he's doing here. If there's a war he'll probably proclaim "Went to Saudi Arabia - spoke about JOBS JOBS JOBS. Our actions have now caused a yuuuge growth in our Mexican Gulf industry. Make America great again."

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yep, a mother of one Al Udeid (I think), their biggest in the Middle East.

Thought so. That's a significant wrinkle in the proceedings.

We're having to keep an eye on this situation at work, as it's seemingly on a knife edge that could bring problems to even the more stable bits of the Middle East which will have knock on effects everywhere. Qatar itself geographically is **** but it wields fairly significant power in it's connections and moreover, resources. A mess waiting to happen poked into being by the Saudis.

Â