The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

I am intrigued to see the letter that Randy has sent to Season Ticket Holders and it certainly has done the rounds with Villa supporters.

A number of things, the terminology, within the letter do contradict Randy's statements when he first became the steward of Aston Villa. I say steward as the club is and always will be owned by its supporters who finance it through rough times and good times.

I also mention it as a stewardship because what you are neglecting, or how it is perceived to be as neglecting is the fans of this Football Club. It is the fact that the fans have no definitive idea of what the ambitions are for the Football Club- in the letter there was no mention of Premier League Table ambitions but rather we will look at another table- the Doilette Football Money Table.

I highly doubt your revenue will increase on ticket sales this season when you have given fans, who are struggling themselves within difficult economic times, who may only spurge with some encouragement, the opinion that their hard-earned money will not be invested nor given them definitive idea and ACTION that will justify spending hard earned money and making sacrifices to accommodate it.

I assure you as a fan I am not in the least bit interested in the Doilette Table. Yes, I want Aston Villa Football Club to compete, I want it to live within its means. But what I want is for the Board to be clear on what the ambitions are. Between 4th and 9th is an unrealistic ambition with the personnel we have. I want an admission that aims have changed, Randy is actually concerned about money and that has changed our ambitions.

We have lots of quotes, articles, now letters from the board/Randy, as well as messages on this board from yourself- you are aware that keeping the supporters motivated, hopeful and the potential for signings or a prosperous league campaign are all ways of keeping revenue up. But being truthful rather than keeping us sweet would save the hassle of justifying contradictive PR.

Thanks for the ride.

VR07

General, I'm excited about the season kicking off tomorrow. I'm fully supportive of the common sense approach that Randy is now taking towards the sustainability of Villa, and I also appreciate Alex McLeish's plain speaking about our current intentions.

There are a lot of realistic and moderate Villa fans out there, but unfortunately not a lot of them tend to publish their thoughts on fan forums.

Are you buzzing, and ready to don the claret and blue for the coming season General?

General

When you said the club WOULD back McLeish, did you forget to add 'up the gang plank' after it ?

It seems he's been well and truly sold a line by the club to me.

There's trying to be positive, and then there's telling folks what they want to hear even though you must've known it wasn't true. And if you did believe Randy would back him and that we hadn't become a selling club (even though apparently we now can't even buy after selling) then I feel as sorry for you as I do McLeish in all this.

Because somebody has been telling porkies to us lot. I just want honesty from the club. It's no good telling me one thing and then not acting on it. I just didn't expect this kind of fluff from this regime.

That's the really sad thing.

Hi Gen,

Just want to say thanks for taking the time to post on here. I disagree with the tone some use to question you and the board.

However the latest letter from randy was really down beat. I don't hold much hope for the future.

Still glad to have you on board, but wish some of that grit, action and fighting talk from the early years came back.

The five yr plan, champs league and all that jazz is so far gone from our grasp it's not funny.

Just wish you'd admit it, and say we tried, failed and have to start from square one again. I could accept that, but right now there are too many things that just dont add up and I dont feel I know where I am as a villa fan anymore.

Up the Villa

General

Easy questions- two if I may. You have said before that Season Ticket sales are where you wanted them to be.

Personally, I find this very hard to believe, as I knew 13 season ticket holders, and 8 have not renewed. I presume this is replicated elsewhere.

So, can I have what the club expects the attendance to be against Blackburn.

If we break 27000, I'll be amazed, and would imagine an average of around 25-28000 over the year.

One good thing, I haven't had to join the cup scheme this year. In the past I have bought tickets even if I couldn't go, just so i had that tick for a final ticket.

Well I think it is fair to say season ticket holders won't have any problems this year in the unlikely event we get there.

Secondly - you have stated in the past, that increases in season ticket sales are necessary to pay for the ever increasing wage increases - you even said "If you want class you cannot pay to see peanuts" or something like that.

So now the wage bill is being drastically reduced, I presume a nice surprise will be in the renewal pack for next year ?

Somehow - I doubt it !

General if your time is now almost fully taken up by your role heading a US university, which I fully understand, is there any possibility or another club representative close to Randy who could speak on these forums? Or are you the only one who can do this? I like to be kept in the know on something I spend a fair chunk of my free money on.

General,

For the last week i have thought about posting, then changed my mind, thinking "he must be putting a post on today", but still, nothing...

I appreciate that you have a full time job, but just a little insight... I have been working 50 hours for the last 3 weeks and still manage to log on and have a look at the forums.

Surely coming on here and posting a few words cant be that difficult or time consuming? Like a previous poster has stated, if coming on here is that low on your agenda these days, then you should get the moderators to close the thread., or pass on the torch to another.

Dare I say it we deserve a bit more. I think the communication from the club the last 12 months has been piss poor and you appear to have caught the bug, or been asked to remain silent.

On a positive note, I hope your new job role is going well for you and the family are well. I think you are a top bloke and if we do not hear back, I wish you all the best.

Onwards and Upwards

SOTC

Hi General,

You have said in the past McLeish will be backed financially. However McLeish says that we need to sell some players (reduce wages) before we bring in some new players. Thats all great in theory - balancing the books.

However have the club forgotten what a terrible season we had last year and that we flirted with relegation for a good part of it? And that was with players such as Ashley Young, Stuart Downing, Reo Coker, Kyle Walker and additional squad players that have since left.

With regard to outfield players why have we just brought in N'Zogbia??

This means we have only replaced one of our quality players when we should be replacing both Ashley and Stuart and buying an additional quality player for good measure. This is all said with last seasons escapades in mind.

Surely there must some scope to improve our already small squad?

We had major problems last season. This season will probably be worse if you look at our squad in a logical manor!

All the best.

Why is the new manager destroying our kids?

Last season we seen them play with huge confidence on the big stage and hold their own against some of the Prem's top teams.. It was exciting for fans to see the future of Aston Villa start to progress and come through..Yes we knew it would sometimes have a reflect on results but the light at the end of the tunnel was a new vibrant, energetic, exciting team was in the making. To see Clark get forward and grab important goals v the Premiership big boys was awsome..To see Bannan put Albrighton through against the best team in the Prem was awesome..To see Lichaj hold is own against one of the best left sided players in the league was awesome.. Yet these players are now placed on the back burner whilst Warnock, Ireland and Dunne etc come to the fore.. Talk about knocking the confidence of thse young players. Pre-season was a joke for these kids and know wonder Albrighton has lost that spark and confidence he had so readily last season..

Why hasnt the transition continued?

Why wasnt the 1st names on the team sheet this pre-season those very kids that stood tall for us last season?

We have gone so far down the road, yet now we decided to go backwards? Where's the progression at Aston Villa in this?

When Fergy bought in Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Neville etc He didnt drop them after a one season tease...He stuck with them again and again and again...They grew and grew and Manchester United were then reborn with a great young vibrant side..Fergy used his time and energy to encourage and turn these youngsters into his vision at Manchester United. I seriously thought we were going to go down the same road.

Yet this season it seems the sleepy old timers are getting the nod AHEAD of this vibrant and hunger..Bannan has already come out and said he is itching for the 1st team berth.

What fans are jumping with joy to come watch Heskey, Warnock, Dunne, Petrov and Collins?

I want to see our kids another season on, lets see them develope even further...Maybe the 2-2 draw against an unbeaten Man United could be turned into a 3-2 win instead? These lads and the set up we used last season should be continued as the new Villa and the 1st team...It should be encouraged and worked on..They had built up a camaraderie with each other..Bannan knew Albrighton and vice versa, they showed little moves, passing that looked exciting.

I sit here on the first day of the season writing a few hours before watching our first game. Normally I'm really excited and feeling this could be the year to win the FA Cup, maybe we can surprise a few and pinch 4th in the league.....all dreams but that's the excitement of the first day, the over expectations or dreams of the elusive. This season though I sit here writing, still very excited but very worried, hoping that we get off to a good start so we are not fighting relegation battle all season, that key players don't get injured because we don't have quality to back them up......the board have changed us from dreaming of what could be to fearing what could happen by your actions....

Are you surprised at how little we created after selling our only two creative players, General?

Still, at least we can look forward to being in or near the top 20 European clubs by revenue, never mind the crap on the football pitch.

Revenue will drop as we go down league places (inevitable for most clubs when they don't invest) and of course a poor league place means most probably no Europe.

Less fans will turn up due to the Board not listening with the managerial appointment. The fans of course have also been lied to about transfers as we enter a season with a weaker squad than one where we just survived relegation.

As for the chances of us getting in the top 20 for revenue in the near future this is about as likely as us getting 4th (sorry 5th) as some predicted not so long ago.

Hardly convincing performance from the Board is it? (if you can spare 5 minutes of your 10,080 minutes a week)

General,

A good point and a cleansheet away from home. I believe the first in 25.

What bothers me though is without a decent supply line we will struggle. I know we are pinning all hopes on Darren Bent but he was a passenger today. Gabby is not a winger and I dont think he completed a cross or looked like assisting.

If we dont invest before the window closes we are in big trouble. Adam Johnson would be excellent.

Two many goalless draws is why Birmingham went down. You need to give Alex the backing and players if he is to succed. Otherwise the trouble will be twice it was last season.

Thanks

Agree with above. Just to add, if the board decides not to strengthen our squad while they can still do so then we will see a lot more of DB9, hands on hips looking increasingly frustrated at his lack of supply. The Villa Board sold that supply line for big money so do not be to surprised if our prized striker starts to cast an eye over more ambitious football clubs come future transfer windows. It would be a case General of 10 steps forward 12 steps back.

Hi General. Not another big whine, I'm fairly happy with how the club is being run!

A lot of fans, myself included, are excited about this seasons NextGen youth tournament, but there seems to be very little information coming out of Villa (or any of the other clubs involved) about this, especially regarding ticketing etc. Could we see a little bit more on the official site please? I think Villa might be surprised by the level of interest in this tournament.

Thanks

Hi General. Not sure if you still come here or not. If so just wanted to say, really looking forward to the rest of the season, we look solid, we've got a good quality no nonsense manager and we should be knocking on the door of the top 4 again. I know McLeish has to manage expectations, but I don't realistically think the hierarchy will be happy with just getting in the top half.