The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General

in the 60's the yanks thought they could be a force for good, went in all guns blazing and for a few years things looked good, then something changed and they had to scale back on their approach to the new problems put in their way, eventually they left with little more than a whimper leaving behind a wreck. my question is, do you see any similarities with your involvment with Villa and 'Nam?

General

As you may have noted the attendances are DOWN

The quality of the team are DOWN

The fans faith in the management of Villa are DOWN

At the end of the season we are likely to go ?????

Tell Randy to invest quickly or pass the batton on to someone who can.

Hope you have not caught a chill in that bunker.

General on 30 Oct 2006 you wrote this

Finally, and most importantly, we all realize that we will have times when things aren't going right...that frustration will set in...that the fans will get angy/frustrated. Having spent 35 years in a VERY tough profession, I know what hard times are like. My advice is probably the same as yours...getting in a pissing contest does nothing but get you wet and voided!! We need to NEVER stop communicating as mature individuals. Even when we are upset, we MUST communicate or we will ALL lose. Randy and the Board are committed to communicating in good times and bad!! All we ask is the same from you.

What's changed?

General

I think the board should do the decent thing and admit total liability for the sham that is Aston Villa fC. Loads of players have been released plus those who were sold and still were looking to make cuts how the hell can we recruit, nobody is going to sign a deal for low wages. The Board was carless when Martin Oneil was in charge he has killled are club with the help of the board.

What has happend here is Oneil overpayed players e/w so he could get them in if a team offered 30k per week he would offer 50k so he could get them in.

I hope the board can sit there with a smile on there face because us hard paying fans who work to give the club revenue are losing our patience.

Please General you are a very intelligent man the board is at fault for the demise of AVFC. UP THE VILLANS

I ain't gonna beat about the bush but I feel there is a total disrespect between the board and the fans right now, espeically the paying ones. This has not always been the case though, I've been a huge fan of the board most of the time. I'm not a season ticket holder simply for one reason, I don't have the money. I go to around 10-15 home/away games a season, each one costs me a lot, compared to what money I have/earn at the moment. I'm finding it hard to part with large sums of cash right now while questions that are being asked are constantly being ignored, and the fact that we have lost not just a few, but a crap load of players, some of them of absolute quality. The worrying thing is, from the letter sent out to season ticket holders about the clubs ambition, it mentions nothing about the teams ambitions, just the clubs ambition to get back in the top 20 richest clubs. The change in attitude between the club and fans has changed so much over the past 12-15 months. The feelings & thoughts of the customer's have been totally disregarded this summer. The attendence for the derby on Saturday summed it up. Action is needed for a reaction it seems. Back the manager!

We have something like 10 or 11 experienced players on our books now (Habib Beye included), the rest are youngster, relatively untested and perhaps mostly not at the level of this league. Surely this squad needs some bolstering, with some quality dont you think? Not talking 1 player like the manager seems to be saying, maybe 2-4 the minimun. Injuries will kill our competativness if not I fear.

Fans know a lot about football these days, a lot of the ins and outs thanks to ultimate coverage, and they are sometimes the first to spot problems and weaknesses. So maybe it is good to take on what fans think a bit more. I think Arsenal is a perfect example of this, seeing glaring problems, seemingly before the manager/board.

General,

Is the reason for your continued absence that it is completely impossible to reconcile the comments that you have made on this thread with the actions quite clearly taking place at the club? I think the majority of us fans would accept that there is some necessity to scale back the wage bill, and even that the club may make a decent net profit on transfers this summer. But this has gone too far, and we're in real danger of falling irrevocably behind. It seems like the board would be happy with 17th - a highly depressing and dangerous game. If this isn't the case, then there needs to be a less complacent attitude towards the playing squad. There's no such thing as too good to go down, and after the decimation of the squad this summer, we're certainly not it.

As a fighter, does it not upset you to see your great friend Randy giving up? I'm sure you would say that this isn't the case, but the scale of the retreat from competitiveness this summer has been utterly, utterly galling and is reflected in our first two home attendances of the season. We were under-strength before hand, we will be relegation candidates again if we don't replace the players who have left recently. And Randy will have to take the entirety of the blame. History won't be kind to him. If there is a medium term plan to get us back to a higher standard, as you insist, then fine. I think the fans would accept the realities and get behind that and the whole place would be a lot happier. But don't jeopardise the short, medium and long term future by cutting too much, too soon. It's at besta gamble that could have catastrophic consequences.

Patrick

General

Over the past few years you and Randy have recieved many plaudits from fans. Suddenly things have turned tough and you've disappeared!! We expected and deserve better

We want to support you, but to do that we need to know what the plan is - at the moment all we can see is a team that has gone backwards over the last 18 months.

If you've got a plan for the future please share it with us and we will get behind you!!!!

General,

I know you've got a new job and won't be able to spend as much time on here as usual, which is a shame in itself. However, what is more shameful is that there's been no contact whatsoever for the last three weeks.....

Saying that, some of the vitriol and 'personal' abuse aimed at you and Randy on this thread is out of order but could've been avoided with a little communication and honesty.

Like it or not, the club appears (in the majority of fans eyes) to be in turmoil. There's no communication from the club (barring the sacharine sweet official website propaganda) and only news of good players leaving with no hint of replacements.

Todays reports of Jean II Makoun being loaned to Olympiakos is awful to read. I feel embarassed by this. What's he done wrong in the six months he's been a club player? How do think this makes our club appear to future signings?

We've fortunately picked up 5 points out of 9 but in a way dropped 4 points as we've played Wolves and Fulham, where we should really be picking up all of the spoils.

I see the attendances are down and don't put this down to austerity measures on the fans behalf.... I just think the board have created a general feeling of disappointment and apathy amongst the paying clientelle.

I've always admired the way the club has been managed by Randy Lerner but the past 12 months have severely dented my support for the board, not the club mind - I'll always love the Villa.

I don't think anyone can knock Randy for tightening the purse strings but not at the detriment to the first team and premiership football. We were lucky last season and the 9th place finish seriously flattered ourselves. I'm not saying we should try and outdo Man City, Utd, Liverpool etc but at least make us competitive in the transfer market (especially when we've lost amongst others 2 quality England international wingers)

GH was a risky gamble, which didn't pay off. AM is more of a gamble and without backing he's in for a rough ride. N'Zogbia and Given are great signings but there are still holes left in a sparse squad.

I don't know whether Randy is currently painting himself as the villain of the piece to give AM a bit of fan sympathy and backing.... if he is, it's a bit of a masterstroke as it appears to be working!

We have a good nucleus of players, no doubt and some of the youth are looking like good prospects but we cannot rely on them entirely.

General, if you've had enough of posting on here then can you let the moderators know and get this thread closed???

Disappointed

general i see makouns leaving another body out

if you dont intend to replace makoun or l young that shows your level of ambition and i wont be using any of my hard earned cash to come to game sif your willing to take us as mugs

30k for wolves should show you and the board that villa fans are unhappy at the lack of investment you have given us for a 2nd summer.

get use to gates like that unless fresh faces are bought in before wednesday

Ive always supported Randy and never doubted him.. but the last few seasons have been poor. Mcleish is a negative and poor manager who is just a yes man..clearing the wage bill. Selling half the squads quality and now young and makoun.. absolutely ridiculous.. im sure one or two loans will come in but its too late. The fans have shown in a derby match only 30k turned up after an unbeaten start. Wait till swansea come to vp after a few losses. Crowds will be 25k.

Time for Randy to sell up and give it to someone who still cares. Really disapointed that everytime it gets bad.. you have disappeared. Hiring agents to sell our players supposedly.. may as well ask them to find new owners.

Turn the light off when this Board leaves and make it quick.

Very disapointed Villa fan.

Hi General

I know your not going to read this but I will go ahead and write it up anyway.

We need answers. I won't go as far as saying I'm a disappointed Villa fan but I am somewhat confused. Iv been to both home games so far this season (prem) and enjoyed it. I was looking at getting a season ticket but decided against it as this is a big year for me with new job, moving out and getting a new car, I simply have no cash to spare but I will hope to make it to atleast 10 home games this season. Enjoyed watching the team, but was amazed at the attendance. Blackburn just 32k for the 1st home game of the season... That's dreadful??

So why? Well, for starters we read an article on Sky sports with quotes from AM saying we will not be selling anyone else. 3 days later, we have lost Young, Hogg and Makoun looks as though he is off... Haha!! What is that about??

And with things the way they seem, ie, Randy has no money to invest, I doubt we will bring anyone in who can help us. The experience that AM is currently craving will not materialise and we go into the premier league season with an average age of about 12. That's not good General...not good at all.

We look much better defensively, granted, but we have got 5 points against Fulham, Blackburn and Wolves. Not being funny, but 2/3 seasons ago I would have been annoyed if we hadn't got 9 points. AM coming here we knew we would tighten up, we conceded 20 goals more than Birmingham last season, but they got relegated... Because they couldn't score... Will that be us this season?? I sure hope not. He looks a good manager... Just imagine what he could do if he was backed? Shame we won't get to see.

Oh, one more thing... Rumours going around that we are going to be sold or will have some possible investors. I thought Randy (and yourself) loved the club, why sell?? I strongly suggest something is communicated to the fans and fast.

Take care. Hope everything is well state side and the recent weather hasn't affected you in anyway and people can get back on their feet quickly. Thoughts go out to those families who have lost loved ones.

Tayls.

^^^^^^^

that just signifies this board and their empty promises to me..

I don't recognise it as belonging to my Villa... And hope that when the incumbents running the club into the ground inevitably leave, we return to a badge that we remember and signified success... A round badge with the words ASTON VILLA on will once again emblazon our shirts

General... Please leave and take your uncommunicative boss with you

Hi General,

Did you see any of the Man Utd v Arsenal game? Man Utd had arguably 5 players on the pitch that most would assume are bench warmers - Evans, Smalling, Jones, Welbeck and Cleverly. Arsenal had a decent 6 on the pitch in Czescny, Koscielny, Rosicky, Arshavin, Walcott and Van Persie and yet still they got a trashing.

Spurs were a little light in midfield and got a pasting by Man City.

God forbid we field a team that's only half full of experienced players to face either of the Manchester sides this season. If we do, the scoreline could be atrocious.