The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

4. mykeyb: Not sure why I am a liar. We purchased two fine players. Randy will be putting out a "state of Villa" statement.

Two fine players isn't enough.. I understand you have wages to look after and money to reserve for loans etc.. but you have to look at the current squad and say we need atleast a defensive midfielder.. realistically we should've overhauled the squad at this stage.. the defence is far past it, the midfield is full of unproven or past it/unreliable players.. wingers we have two, one who has been in poor form the other who hasn't even started pre season.. strikers we are fine with luckily.. investment needs to carry on, even to stand still at this stage.

It does the beg the question why Houllier was working on targets / talking to agents etc.. and suddenly we only have two players in and have seen more than 10 players go? I presume Houllier was looking at more than two targets (it sounded like he was) which begs the question why he was doing so?

Anyway, I also look forward to this statement from Randy.

OK General, I give up, you are not going to answer the question about repaying the loan on 31.5.11 with the Ashley Young money so all we can do is assume thats where it went.

Just dread to think what would have happened if, god forbid, Young and Downing WANTED to actually stay we would have had a major financial problem or would the club have forced one or both out like is happening to Cuellar?

We purchased two fine players

indeed however neither of them are as good as the players they replaced plus we have also lost more than 2 first team players this close season

I was "out" and I still am ... maybe you care maybe you don't ... true it's not just the actions of the board these past few weeks , there are other factors with football in general and I've fallen out of love with the game a little but rest assured the contempt Randy showed the fans recently with the McLeish appointment was certainly a major factor ..

Will we have to wait as long for Randys atatement as we have for the promised action from the Board?

Oh, and when we beat Liverpool and Arsenal, we had Young and Downing in the team. Youve since sold them, and as yet not really replaced them.

So when is that going to happen?

Will it be before Randys forthcoming statement, or not at all?

Im losing faith.

General,

Indeed we have bought in 2 x fine players..

1 x replaces a fine keeper in Friedel.

1x replaces a fine player in Downing.

But who is replacing the fine players in Ashley Young and most importantly Reo Coker? Who were both integral parts of our 1st team squad? And seriously without these 2 x players being replaced, how can you say we have a chance of finishing higher than last season?

As far as I can see it we are still missing a creative and defensive midfielder to replace the losses of Reo and Ashley.

And from pre-season matches so far as a fan I get the impression that Bannan or Ireland will be the replacement of Ashley.. And the replacement for Reo is yet to be decided..Which looks pretty poor considering the season starts in a couple of weeks. And surely with the fixture list the way its panned out, a good strong start to the season is going to be vital. Yet we dont look ready, or look to have any creativity or balance..

I understand the club needs to balance the books with regards wages. But its the key players that seem to be removed from the club to balance the books? And the back up players, or players that proved not good enough to get a starting place last season, seem to be the players favoured for this new season's Premierleague Campaign.

Gen, thanks for your comments.

But I do think there is a slight naievity on your part if you feel we have the neccessary tools to compete where we need to be this season. I'd say the majority of fans think we're short in players and more importantly short in quality in more than one area on the pitch, Im hoping AM can get Randy to open his cheque book before the window closes.... I'm not holding much hope if I'm honest.....

General i understand that we have to be careful with money and balance the books. This summer however we have made money from transfers, we have never done that under Randy he has at least spent what has come in. Do we intend to look for more targets (no specifics) or are we going to leave it as it is. I fear our kids won't last a whole season and we only have 2 wingers, Gabby is never winger, he's just about a good enough striker at times. I don't expect a fortune to be spent just what we have recieved in fees. I know you say players who are available, but two of our better players were made available this summer due to a good fee being put forward, would be the same when we bid also.

Thanks for posting as ever

Dan

General Krulak Wrote:-

"As for Randy, I see NO diminishing of his passion for the Club"

Happy to be wrong general K - but

Randy only got to 10 games last year

He is reducing debt by selling players for £36m - and only reinvesting £13

He is reducing wages.

The last 2 are classic moves as to when someone is looking to sell there business

and indeed if you only get to 10 games a season - why would you invest.

So trust you can now understand why I and a growing number of other villa fans believe that Randy will not be at the helm beyond 18-24 months.

General, I believe that Randy is absolutely 100% right in his actions this summer. I have supported Villa since the 1960's and I hope to cheer AV on for a few years yet. The financial health of the club is the key to future success, so will you please tell Randy from me that tough decisions taken now will pay dividends in the next few seasons.

General,

Thank you for continuing to post on this site, it's one of the few things that I always check on my Internet rounds, so I for one would be disappointed to see it disappear.

I trust that the board's prevailing view that life at a Premier League club is a "marathon not a sprint" will come good.

Are the club looking at fostering any links overseas, particularly in Africa? I only ask as I'm currently teaching out in Ghana, and there's some wonderfully talented young men out here - a little off the beaten track, but they all harbour dreams of playing for Real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea etc. Could we not be the club that they all aspire to play for?

Many thanks for your time and continued input.

General,

Can you tell us the current situation on scouting? how many scouts do we have etc? as someone who listens to fans i'm sure you've heard the saying "do our scouts have passports?"

we persist with english players, granted you know what your getting with them but really we need to invest heavily in scouting and getting scouts in to move forward as a club, I get the impression that the board lack any sort of knowledge to arrange any of this.

General

I agree that you need to run the club as a business but was it not under Randy's leadership that we signed all the mediorce players for huge fees on ridiculous wages for long contracts?

However it is very short sighted to sell or release the main spine of the team in one single summer and expect a bunch of inexperienced kids, some old past it crocks and a raving lunactic to be able to better the performances of previous years? You did the right thing in May and got rid of the cantankerous French buffoon but then to replace him with a failure of a manager is financial suicide by Randy? I hope he can afford to lose the money??

I can't beleive you have come up with the 'I hit the wrong key' excuse??? Funny :crylaugh:

General Krulak here:

5. Chelsea match: I think that both sides were "experimenting"...that it was, indeed, a friendly. I thought we were not as tough in the center of the Pitch that we needed to be...but, again, I think AM was checking out his players.

Exactly and this is going to be a huge problem for us all season unless we recruit some steel in the centre of the park. What we have in centre mid is just not adequate and we will get overrun in the centre time and time again.

Please do continue to post on this site general as the link directly to the club is appreciated by most and unique to Aston Villa.

General Krulak here:

1. Last comment first. I told everyone that I would be on the site once a week. Having flunked retirement for the 3rd time, I do have a full time job running a university (www.bsc.edu) and my ability to come on the site daily just isn't in the cards. I do the best I can. It is up to the fans as to whether the site is worth while....if the Fans say, "Np", then so be it.

My question wasn't meant to mean go away - just do you feel it's run it's course because it just seems to be the same questions asked that you then rebuff and so on.......and on?

I did read what you wrote stating you will only post once a week as I went through page after page until I came across your last post before I asked you the question. The trouble is though, that you yourself must miss some very good questions. For example a poster asked a question about the size of the new shirts even going to the trouble of putting a photograph to show you but as far as I can see this has been either missed, ignored or put into the too hard basket.

Anyway as it will be another week and probably another 6-7 pages I doubt you will even notice this but just in case you do, my apologies to you or anyone else who mistakenly thought that I was asking you to go.

General I have a positive! I know, pick your jaw up off the floor :lol:

I recently received one of the new Villa 'Collegiate' style hoodies for my birthday on July 24th, from a friend who had it delivered to me. Couple of days later I noticed a fault on a button. So I sent it back through the mail using the Collect+ service AVFC are linked to. Anyway I had my new, non-fault hoodie delivered this morning! Just like to commend the service, quickness and efficiency in the whole process. And as a side note, it's a really smart hoodie too, big fan of the Collegiate take on it.

Cheers!