The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

Given your expectations mentioned in your previous comment which is at stark contrast to Alex's who feels 9th will be difficult, if Alex achieves 9th which I assume he will feel a successful season, whereas this will be a disappointing season to you, will you and the board be searching for a new manager? Or will the board review their decisions of this close season and take some of the blame? It seems the manager and the fans agree of our level in the league but the board are setting unrealistic aims or at least one member of the board is. Always great to be optimistic but out of anybody the board need to be realistic.

I think it is time the fans, as they have always done back the club, can I ask will the board be joining us any time soon this close season or forthcoming season? The fans support the club, will the board be supporting us as well? At the moment you are just hurting the club!!!

General Krulak here:

As a Fan, my expectations for the coming season remain high. I see us as high as 4th place

I have no legal background but I'm pretty sure that I could win a case for you against the military, for whatever mind altering drugs you have been given.

No win, no fee.

4th place!

Hello General, I nearly choked on my cornflakes after reading you think we can finish in the top four.Do you still think that, after the Chelsea match yesterday? The game was as good as over after 35 Seconds and even allowing for the fact it was a friendly and the heat and humidty, we were totally outclassed. If it was not for Given it would have been a embarrassing heavy defeat.Our squad looks very light. If either Given or Bent were to pick up serious injuries i think we will be struggling.Up the Villa

General, in your first post on this thread in January you said the North Stand development would not be effected by the 'recent signings' Bent and Makoun. Now as we have turned down the opportunity of hosting the Olympics in order to develop the stand, and clearly not received the appropriate funding for hosting, does this mean the North Stand will be developed next Summer..... or has this been another change in the financial abilities of the club?

Okay... "Do not respond to other posts" - I get it... But my question remains...

General, I just read "somewhere" that APPARENTLY your's and Randy's time at the club "appears to be drawing to a close".

General, what have I missed... I certainly hope this is not the case...

(That okay mods????)...

General,

I have asked this question to you before, but you seem to have either missed it in the past or don't have an answer for me?

There are a heavy number of Premier League clubs that have signed up for, and are now offering FREE tickets to British Troops on the ticketsfortroops website.

Will Villa be joining this excellent initiative and be giving any tickets away to the site?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

General,

What happened to the Claret & Blue magazine? It used to be a free addition with the season ticket purchase, a nice read to come through the door every so often. Also, all the other big clubs stock them in newsagents, I see teams as far adrift as West Ham and Celtic having magazines and memorabilia stocked in Birmingham's WH Smith, for example. It would be nice to get an official magazine out there to help with marketing, particularly in the city where the club is situated.

Also, if we could get the yearbook back in a physical copy, that would be nice too.

Thanks

Hi General,

You recently stated that we as fans would "hear quite a lot from the club over the next couple of weeks." You also told us to imagine what sort of job Alex McLeish could do with a board which backs it's Manager. Furthermore, you told us that there would be action this summer. I would appreciate it if you could summarise what you mean by these comments as I personally feel that the Manager has not been backed. Although I am happy with the two signings made the club has allowed something like 14 players leave the club, ending contracts or loan spells this summer. The current squad is thin. Do you intend backing the Manager in the transfer market as you have indicated or is the spending over for the summer? Can the fans look forward to more communication with the club? Or will we have to wait for the Sunday summary from yourself?

This summer has been a difficult one to understand from a fans point of view. Clarity on where the club is heading would be great, even if you tell the truth and let us know that we are just trying to survive, which, frankly, appears to be the case. Honesty above PR please General.

Steve.

Hi Gen

Just been on www.footballrumours.co.uk and on the Aston Villa rumours the following was placed.

31 Jul 2011 07:23:32

Lerner is apparently being hassled by the middle east to sell some of his shares to them .. Lerner controls 89.6% of Aston Villa.

He is expected to sale some shares so he has 60-70% of Aston Villa .. Meaning new investors who I've heard are billionaires like Randy Lerner but twice as much money.

Are we gunna sell to Billionaires.

Randy has always backed his managers ...

Seems like he's chosen the one nobody wanted to break his golden rule then

I'm ashamed that we'd appoint someone like Mcleish, a bloke that's up against it from the off and then not at least have the decency to back him as promised

I feel for him. He doesn't deserve this no matter where he came from

General I truly don't understand why you're so surprised by how some fans feel. Mainly because I think some of the things you say cause such reactions.

For example

You told us houllier was doing a remarkable job

You told us the board had learnt from their mistakes

You told us imagine how good Mcleish could be if he was backed

You told us we'd see action

You know tell us you think we can finish 4th

You only appear when we're about to or we've just signed a player.

You are randy's right hand man and when your comments turn out to be nothing but pr rubbish then it's hardly surprising that fans who want to see their team do well and who buy into what you say are then a bit annoyed.

Hey General. I would like to say that I am astonished that you keep this site up when some fans choose to use it to do little but harass you and the owner. But more meaningfully, have you and the missus tried Sweet Bones Alabama at the Summit, or Dreamland yet? Will the Panthers have a good season this year? (soccer, of course)

General Krulak here:

1. Last comment first. I told everyone that I would be on the site once a week. Having flunked retirement for the 3rd time, I do have a full time job running a university (www.bsc.edu) and my ability to come on the site daily just isn't in the cards. I do the best I can. It is up to the fans as to whether the site is worth while....if the Fans say, "Np", then so be it.

2. Villarocker and others: Comment by AM....I am not sure how many Managers of any Clubs would go to the media before the first Premiership game is played and claim that their Club (one that ended in 9th place last year) is going to make massive strides. Most managers would do exactly what AM has done....he made a statement that keeps expectations at a level that does not "set the club up." NOW, I have been taking huge amounts of "stick" for my prediction....so let me make a simple (but true) confession. I was typing so fast that I hit the 4 key vice the 5 key. That is the truth. I would hope that most fans would realize that I DO recognize that ManU, Chelsea, ManCity and Arsenal DO play in our league! I do not feel we are yet at the stage where we can logically expect to knock one of them off. I do stick by my comment that I believe we are going to surprise folks this year and that we will end up anywhere from 5th to 9th. As I indicated, I say this as a fan and I just have a sense that we are going to do better than many believe. I also know that I am now open to massive criticism if we don't get there....and you can have at me if we don't. BUT, let's at least wait and see. Who would have guessed we would have beat Arsenal at their "home" and Liverpool at Villa Park as the last two games of last year. Think back to those two weekends....who really thought we were going to win both of those games? My point is pretty basic....football is a funny game and things can happen that are good.

3. smetov: "Time at Villa drawing to an end." Not sure what you mean. I have just told you all why I have not been a regular, daily, member of this site. That does NOT mean my days at Villa are drawing to an end. I have not lost my passion...even after the events of last year. As for Randy, I see NO diminishing of his passion for the Club.

4. mykeyb: Not sure why I am a liar. We purchased two fine players. Randy will be putting out a "state of Villa" statement. We did get a Manager (you and others may not like him but we think he will do a fine job.) etc. etc. The fact that the "action" that has taken place at this time is not what you or others may have wanted does not lessen the fact that action has taken place. I don't know how many times I have to discuss the "business of football." It is a balancing act of expenses vs. revenue....of new players and youth, vs experienced players already on the team...of trying to find the right players to "fit" into the Squad (the way we want to play the game) vs. players who are available...etc. etc. I recognize the fact that the "right" solution for most Fans would be to go out and "splash" money around, forget about the business aspects and just shoot the moon. It just doesn't work that way...unless you happen to own half the oil reserves in the world or something like that. Randy has splashed a good deal of money...and has done so since his arrival. Again, I recognize that most Fans want more...I am not naive.

5. Chelsea match: I think that both sides were "experimenting"...that it was, indeed, a friendly. I thought we were not as tough in the center of the Pitch that we needed to be...but, again, I think AM was checking out his players. I was neither overjoyed with the win in the tournament nor devastated by the loss. I would imagine that the Manager got out of both games what he wanted to get out of them.

General

This site is definitely worth while and you coming on here makes it more valuable. You coming on here once a week is appreciated and hope you continue to come on here.

Do you look at other boards and topics on this site ?

4. mykeyb: Not sure why I am a liar. We purchased two fine players. Randy will be putting out a "state of Villa" statement. We did get a Manager (you and others may not like him but we think he will do a fine job.) etc. etc. The fact that the "action" that has taken place at this time is not what you or others may have wanted does not lessen the fact that action has taken place.
General withh all due respect getting a manager was done before you said "Just imagine what Mcleish can do with someone who will back him" and "You'll see plenty of action from the board in the next two weeks"

So just to confirm then that the action you said we should expect to see was the signing of Given and move for Nzogbia?