The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

how will the club be able to put a stop to our best players wanting to leave to play CL football???

As soon as a club like Villa get to a position where they are threatening the ''establishment'' with a fine squad of youngsters that have a chance of progressing and once they have progressed they will come knocking on the door and take them away. In doing so break up the nucleus of the team and we have to start all over again. And in reality making us a feeder club.

Also, as you are now working full time for a colleage/university and can only come onto the site and reply once a week, what is your source of information from the club???

How often are you in contact with the club and the inner echaleons???

You are indeed an an executive director....what does that actually mean???

what influence do you have???

Where and how often do you get your information from???

Are you on every board meeting that takes place???

Over your last few postings in responses to questions there has been a conflict of interest from what you are saying versus what the manager and the board is saying....please explain....

lots of questions.....answers????

General,

Is there anyone else at the club that could take on your role on these forums? I understand you have a new job, but you haven't been on here for 2 weeks now...and we don't hear anything from Randy or Paul Faulkner either. I want to know where the club is heading. Have we now given up on the top 4 dream forever? Is Randy actively looking for Investment?

Thanks

Hi General

2 weeks and no comment or answers to the questions on the forum.

It appears that you and the so called management of Aston Villa have gone into keep you head down mode.

My experience tells me having a bunker mentality never works long term, the management of Aston Villa need

to explain the present situation and hope the customers (ie fans) go along with it.

Come out of your bunkers speak to all the fans not just the season ticket holders but you must also think what use Villa Park would be with lovely stain glass windows but empty.

After watching that drivel served up the weekend (Given exempt) and knowing that Randy Lerner's Aston Villa sell off the best player's each year could I ask just who do you think from this squad will sold next summer?

Also should you ever discover how to log onto VT again to reply please don't bother saying we wont sell as it has been proven that under RL that is exactly what will happen and now (imo) you will be hard pressed to get a profit out of these players left.

With this in mind do you agree with RL's letter? because from spending (if reports were correct) 12m each on Downing and Milner, 9.65m on Ashley Young and then selling these players on for a combined total of 62m (26m inc Ireland for JM, 20m Downing and 16m AY) Villa appear made a profit of 27m, which due to the stop on transfers will now not be continued. As the old saying goes "you have to speculate to accumulate".

Don't give me any of the crap spouted that we need to reduce the wages bill more, after all the outgoing players this summer there has been plenty of cost cutting. If more cut's are need you really need to look at Paul Faulkner roll and ask what the hell he has been doing.

Sorry if my tone sounds angry/rude it isn't meant to be disrespectful towards you or Randy as I really want you to both stay, it's more out of frustration of watching what I believe is a mistake that is playing out in front of us.

Can I ask why the Cup fixture has been set for a Tuesday. Traditionally, and for as long as I have been following the Villa (and presumably well before) our club has played on Wednesdays with Small Heath Alliance playing on Tuesdays.

As SHA are not in this competition yet, there is no conflict - so why ?

I am very disappointed, yet another disregard for tradition. It really fathoms me, it does, on arrival our board made it plain and clear that the clubs heritage and tradition were paramount to their thoughts.

Since this time, everything just goes to show they haven't a clue.

General, your visits to this site now appear to be very few and far between.

I think this is such a shame as I did once really enjoy looking on here and seeing correspondence at least twice a week.

Now it appears a post once every 3 weeks or worse is the norm.

I can appreciate that you're busy but given the club started this intiative don't they have some interest in keeping it operating at an appropriate level of interaction.

In addition, by making visits so few and far between you are arguably making things even more difficult for yourself, should you wish to respond to fans questions/points with any meaningful reply. That's because you'll have nigh of 35 posts or more to trawl through!!

All the best, hope to see you at VP soon.

Giddy

General,

If you are going to appear so infrequently on this board or others of a similar ilk whats the point of posting here at all? As a board member your presence here means that fans are looking for answers and are not getting them. This I believe is adding to the general feelings of antipathy about those who are running the club (or perhaps not) at the moment.

Can you find someone who is happy to engage with the fans in this manner in a better frequency? This mode of communication has done you the world of good since 2006, it would be sad if it were lost. The Chief Executive of my workplace has a blog where he keeps the workforce informed of what is going on, and posts most if not every day. When he can't do it due to holidays or other commitments he has a few other officers who can deputise. Can't you have someone else do the same? Although some questions you get are unanswerable like transfer questions for instance, some questions are actionable or at least worthy of consideration by someone at the club, not this current wall of silence. This is one of the reasons fans were angered and alienated by Doug Ellis, because he never spoke to the fans (well apart from annual shareholders meetings).

Don't make the same mistake and expect to be treated lightly. Fans aren't stupid.

General, have the club heard of the rules on unsolicited telephone calls in this country?

Do the club know about the telephone preference service?

The club appear to be ringing my house asking me to buy tickets or to renew my season ticket neither of which I can particularly afford this season, I consider this a form of harassment, especially as I am registered with the telephone preference service and you shouldn't be calling me!

Next call gets reported!

Just on a sidenote regarding ticket sales, I would just like to let you know the experience I had.

I renewed, out of habit more than anything but I renewed. I have a 64yr old father who said he wasn't. On renewing mine, I said to the guy "Look, I am not promising, but my father is 64, 65 in a few months. If he was 65, he would get OAP rate (half price) , he is not going to renew at full price, if you want to keep him, it may be worth offering him the OAP rate"

Answer "Sorry, we cannot do that, if he wants a ticket he will have to pay full price" - and that was it !. So, congratulations, you have lost a season ticket holder of 40 yrs forever !.

I cannot believe how everything at the club has completely been obliterated over the past two years. Then, I prided myself that the club was customer friendly, would go out of their way to help etc..

Now, for some perverse reason, it seems they are doing everything possible to alienate fans.

If possible, could you (as I have asked before) give a prediction for the crowd against Blackburn.

In the words of Lou Reed "You're going to reep just what you sow".

General,

1.) With our first home game now just days away can you give a figure as to how many season tickets we have sold and how this compares to the previous seasons during Randys ownership? also before you go on the attack accusing supporters of taking pleasure and wanting sales to be low as someone who has just renewed for the 24th year on the spin I love nothing more than seeing a full Villa Park.

2.) What is the attendance against Blackburn likely to be? ( I am of course possibly wasting my time asking this as its optimistic to think you will be on here before Saturday :winkold: )

Regards

Mark

General

I think its time for you to do the honourable thing and pull the plug on this thread, Fans are clearly unhappy about how things have been done at the villa this summer, Randys statement wernt worth toffee and basically the whole thing is a joke. B prepared for Darren bent to hand in a transfer request you have mis-sold the club to him, he is wordclass at what he does ( score goals). On a serious note how could you ever dream of keeping him if he wants out.

Having Benty up top with nobody to supply chances is like have a chocloate fireguard it is absolutely pointless

Hi Gen

I've been reliably informed that Peanut Butter M&Ms are, and I quote, "Quite the treat". Sadly, I am also told that such a treat can only be procured in the United States of America. If I wire you a few of my finest English pounds, would you be able to bring some over for me on your next visit to Villa Park? In return I will buy you a traditional Balti pie, on top of remunerating you for the cost of the M&Ms.

Hope all is well.

General do you feel that the whole club (owner, management, board, players, coaching staff and most importantly FANS) are all pulling together still or do you sense there is a divide along there somewhere?

If you feel there is a divide can you tell me how the board plan to correct that so that we are all pulling together?

General

With the news just being confirmed that Black Sabbath are back together, before you decide to throw in the towel please get em booked in to play a big back in Aston show next summer at VP. It just seems fitting for them to come home for a farewell gig

Ulver

General

We pay close to approximately £5m combined for the services of Emile Heskey and Habib Beye per annum. In return for that we get very little. They're not outstanding players, or even good ones. They certainly won't help us achieve our new aim (or the aim that was told to the season tickets but disregarded the non season ticket holders) of maximising revenue.

In short, they are players who do not make you want to part with your money!

For about 1/100th of the annual salary of those two (IMO pretty useless) players combined the club could get someone to answer questions on here and similar forums that attract a decent number of fans with genuine queries about the club.

It seems fairly obvious that you are struggling to dedicate 5 minutes out of over 10,000 minutes available to you each week so perhaps it would be a better idea if someone else who is up for the challenge should take it on?

For it to work we need honest answers - not PR nonsense about the club and how great Randy is. Let's not forget if that were true wages wouldn't be out of control in the first place!

The club have lost a lot of goodwill. For a relatively small fee it could at least start building bridges between the Board and the fans.