The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

I must say that I am dissapointed with Randy's statement. I appreciate that the took the time to do it and tries to answer some questions. However, key questions about where we are going as a club remain un-answered. He seems to deal primarily with finances rather then where we want to be i.e. CL or Europa or competing in the cups. Fans need an idea of what the club is working with and where our ambitions lie.

Here is one of Randy's first statements as AVFC owner

'"What is my prime motive? I can tell you it is certainly not financial," said Lerner.

"You can get more out of buying a 30-year bond and I could be by the pool. But where's the fun in that?"

"I want a life of good sport, good people and the competition that goes with it. I'm here to try to get something accomplished."

And now

As regards our personal ambitions for the Club they remain as they've been from the beginning: to manage the club for growth. More precisely, our focus is to manage the investments we've made at Villa Park to promote strong financial performance in terms of our commercial activities in order that the Clubs revenue can grow and contribute accordingly to player, manager and other football related wages and costs. This approach is at the core of our broader strategy yo create an enduring business model that is stable and yet has the potential to grow, as we feel that the club revenue and player wages are the key to consistent competitiveness. In connection with this strategy, we have targeted being at or within range of a top 20 ranking among clubs in Europe by revenue, which was achieved in the last Deloitte Football report

It's all about Revenue and Wages. I appreciate this is important but fans, especially AVFC fans, want their club to win things or at least aim to win things. Not just make up the numbers and pick up the TV money cheque each year.

I cant understand why Lerner didnt want to get a decent manager in to clear out the deadwood and have another stab at cracking the top 4. He has the money and obviously loves the club, ***so why the scared,over-cautious approach?

Why not get a top European coach in and ask him to clear out all the shit MON brought on high wages. Then back him to bring decent football with a great mix of youth, home grown and continental players? I actually thought with Houllier that the club had the right idea and thinking. I mean Houllier/Duverne are top European coaches/trainers and the no nonsense approach was starting to clear out the players that were not 110% commited to the cause. Look how well the youth all performed under them..And are you telling me that you couldnt see the results at the end of the season regards fitness?

There are better managers out there than MON.Managers that could well have broke the top 4 with a similar spending power to what MON had..So I surely hope that the way MON left the club,has not frightened Randy into having another crack at it with another manager?

***Has the mess MON left us with,turned Randy into being over-cautious/less trusting in his approach?

***Why was MON heavily backed and trusted to deliver Champions League football to Aston Villa...Yet the new manager is not trusted?

---------------

This is a personal request;

("If" it all goes pear shaped with McLeish and we have to search for a new manager..Can you please change the policy so that the search can be widened to over-seas managers like, for example Deschamps, Kluivert, Flores? And not just Premierleague Experienced only?...Thanks..)

P.S,

Please dont give me all this about the new spending laws..Because the manager could still be backed and "then" sell off the deadwood to balance the books regards wages..At the moment, which players are going to search for another club knowing their 1st team place is only at threat by a youth player with very little experience? Isnt the idea, to improve on each playing possition, thus unsettling the players that currently "think" their 1st team place is safe?

The statement made at Fulham press conference by the manager goes against what you have told the fans over last season and before:

1)Villa are not a selling club. I can understand the position when a team pays above the odds for a player but we we have sold our best players over the last three seasons.

2) Randy will back the manager. The manager is now saying we can't even get a loan player unless someone goes out of the door first. THIS IS NOT BACKING THE MANAGER.

I have followed the Villa for 50 years from the old 3rd division and I have never felt more let down by the Villa management and I hope Randy sells up and moves out soon before we end up going down the divisions.

The present management can blame MON for the high wage bill but surely his spend was being monitored by Randy if not this again shows very poor management which would not being allowed in any company I have worked for.

I hope I am wrong with my pessimism and I expect I will keep throwing money down the drain by continue buying season tickets for myself and my family.

Lets stop the bull shit Villa are a selling club and we got no money unless we are about to go down (Bents purchase) :cry: :cry:

"What is my prime motive? I can tell you it is certainly not financial," said Lerner.

"You can get more out of buying a 30-year bond and I could be by the pool. But where's the fun in that?"

"I want a life of good sport, good people and the competition that goes with it. I'm here to try to get something accomplished."

Summer 2011

General Krulak "Image what McLiesh could do with an owner that backed him like Randy."

Alex McLiesh

"I have no money to spend."

He even acknowledges we have lost a lot of good players and only replaced them all with 1 outfield player. Eggs all in one basket, that the players Houllier didn't deem fit enough for reserve football will be filling the boots of the stars that have left.

Something has obviously changed with Randy, his ambition to make Villa a winning club competing in the top quarter/third of the league has clearly gone or dampened.

If you've watched our preseason games, you would have noticed that Dunne is still a liability like he was last season and that our midfield gets walked over. I've watched football for nearly 25 years religiously and I don't know how you can say that 9th place is the lowest we will likely finish this season. I'd say, without no more new additions, an injury crisis like last year, and the lowest we could finish could potentially be 18th and as high as 7th (if players stay fit and fresh all season). I know its not gospel or anything, but if you read what most pundits believe, they feel we are destined for a bottom half finish this season.

Also, Mcliesh said the money for Young and Downing is paying for the 2 January signings. Wasn't that the Milner money mostly paying for that? If not, surely that means the club always were gonna sell both Downing and Young, despite the apparent tough stances. Also don't forget, we didn't strengthen last summer. A lot of things said by you, the club, manager and chairman, does not add up at all. Feels like we the fans are being messed about by contradicting statements.

It honestly feels like we are lying over and given in to mid-table mediocrity or lower. This club has a lot of potential as proven in the past with fans coming to watch us and the teams success. We're the biggest club in the countries second most populated area easily, but the way this club is going, that potential the club has seems a millions miles away from achieving again.

Extremely disappointed in the board.

General,

Do you agree that last summer with MON leaving that you guys tried to use that as some sort of an excuse to not do any transfer business? (Milner leaving, Ireland in - still not clear as to who authorised this either)

Also do you agree you are using the "Financial Fair Play" rule here and the "new manager needs to assess squad" excuse this year?

Did you let Houllier go because he had major plans in terms of changing the squad but you felt you couldn't fund his requirements and that played a part (not completely) but played a part in parting ways with him?

Also why isn't Randy seeking investment from others? I hope he makes the right choice and seeks additional investment if he cannot cope, after all we are Villa fans not Randy fans, I am happy we have a chairman like him even though it may not sound like it (despite making plenty of errors) but I would be lying if I said i wasn't losing faith.

My faith in Aston Vila FC is unwavering.

My faith in the board and yourself however is now as low as it was when Doug was in charge. Everything you post on here is either incorrect, vague or pointless and you have seemly become just a vehicle of propaganda. I am trying to judge Randy on his actions like you asked, but the complete lack of action makes this difficult. Yes, the training ground is nice, yes the Holte pub is cool and the support of Acorns is hugely admirable but all of this becomes irrelevant should we lose our PL place. Past actions do not retain a league status.

During 2006-2008 I used to continuously bleat on about having the worlds greatest owner. At this point in time I find this boast extremely difficult to justify and I wonder if even you could do the same. If you could, I'd like to hear your reasoning. I am not excited about this season, I am anxious and despondent. I would be happy with 17th place come the season end so you would expect it should prove fairly easy to make me a happy fan by equalling or beating my expectation. However the fact my standard for this clubs season is now so low is, quite simply, depressing.

Regards

General

What the hell was the point in not getting any sponsor money in order to shove Acorns on our shirts, if only 2 years after you've done it, we decide we have no damn money and start selling everyrhing and everyone with no further investment!?

It's getting ridiculous now.

You've completely lost the trust of a lot of the fans now. As I said before McLeish will tell us it like it is. Honestly.

10 minutes a week of propoganda doesn't make you a Villa fan. Many of the rest of us have full time jobs and get on here far more often (then again we are true fans of the club and will always follow the club).

We have no money and we have to sell to buy. Is it time to change the club motto to unprepared?

Also, why don't we do gradual transitions at Villa?

Examples being Houllier making far too many changes at once to the team when he was there and now it seems like we've gone into overdrive to reduce wages when a more sensible approach might be to say reduce wages by a set % each year. There's no chance of us getting in Europe this season which makes the clubs stance even more confusing.

Hi General, I'm not sure if you're aware of Leeds' Premier League history but if you get a chance please look it up and tell Randy that he's doing the right thing trying to steady the ship. However, as we have a sell to buy policy please can you also advise Alex McLeish that not every player deserves a chance in our team because some are simply awful and part of the reason we are in this quagmire. Giggidy.

Hi General,

The letter sent from the owner and the comments made by our manager in the last 48 hours are very much at odds with your comments made concerning our manager being backed by the owner. Simple question really, has there been a change of direction since your statement on here, was your post made on an assumption that the manager would be backed or was it a failed attempt at propaganda.