wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Genie said:

BBC running headline “Ronaldo Scores one of the greatest goals you will see”.

Nice goal, but is that a tad OTT?

I think from a technical standpoint they're probably right.  You've got to compare like for like goals, as it always seems unfair to compare something like this with a 40-yarder and 20-pass team goal.

He's running away from goal when the ball comes in, and it's behind him (well, in front of him - but you know what I mean).  The ball must be 7-8 feet off the ground when he connects, and he's caught it absolutely flush on the instep, generating power AND finding the corner.

Goals like this you've seen before don't always have the same level of technical acumen - Rooney's famous one for example came off his shin really.

If you add in that it's a Champions League Quarter Final, and it's Gigi Buffon in goal with Barzagli and Chiellini in front of him, it does become one of the greatest goals you'll see.

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think from a technical standpoint they're probably right.  You've got to compare like for like goals, as it always seems unfair to compare something like this with a 40-yarder and 20-pass team goal.

He's running away from goal when the ball comes in, and it's behind him (well, in front of him - but you know what I mean).  The ball must be 7-8 feet off the ground when he connects, and he's caught it absolutely flush on the instep, generating power AND finding the corner.

Goals like this you've seen before don't always have the same level of technical acumen - Rooney's famous one for example came off his shin really.

If you add in that it's a Champions League Quarter Final, and it's Gigi Buffon in goal with Barzagli and Chiellini in front of him, it does become one of the greatest goals you'll see.

Very good goal, but I guess across Europe there is a dozen of these per year.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Very good goal, but I guess across Europe there is a dozen of these per year.

You could pretty much say that about any goal though really, if I think about it.

Could be an interesting thread to start up "What makes a great goal?"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

You could pretty much say that about any goal though really, if I think about it.

Could be an interesting thread to start up "What makes a great goal?"

In my opinion not lobbing the keeper from 60 yards, rooneys goal vs west ham for example is a shit goal, its bad goal keeping, ibrahimovic vs england to a certain extent too

Its the context of goal that makes it great along with technique. Champions League last 8 away to best defence in Europe with possibly best keeper ever with an amazing home record

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

This one was far better. Best overhead kick I’ve seen.

I think the one thing I'd say about this is that it's very much hit-and-hope.  Sinclair is basically aiming to get a good connection and send the ball towards goal.  The same as Ibrahimovic.  The same as Bressan.  They're all long range shots that are more spectacular, but are just aimed "towards the goal" really.

Ronaldo's effort is right in the bottom corner - it's a deliberately placed effort.  I guess it's tough to say which is better because, in many ways, Ronaldo's chance is "easier" to score from... but there's maybe less fluke about the execution of it.

• Like 1

I think it’s fair to say if Sinclair had scored the Ronaldo goal in his game, it would have largely been forgotten about now.

If Ronaldo had scored the Sinclair goal last night in his game, it would have broken the internet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think it’s fair to say if Sinclair had scored the Ronaldo goal in his game, it would have largely been forgotten about now.

If Ronaldo had scored the Sinclair goal last night in his game, it would have broken the internet.

This is it.

Like @bobzy proved, when big names do it then it’s already more special than another player. Sinclair’s was called “hit and hope” but Ronaldo’s was a “deliberately placed effort”...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is it.

Like @bobzy proved, when big names do it then it’s already more special than another player. Sinclair’s was called “hit and hope” but Ronaldo’s was a “deliberately placed effort”...

You dont think he meant it? :o

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think the one thing I'd say about this is that it's very much hit-and-hope.  Sinclair is basically aiming to get a good connection and send the ball towards goal.  The same as Ibrahimovic.  The same as Bressan.  They're all long range shots that are more spectacular, but are just aimed "towards the goal" really.

Ronaldo's effort is right in the bottom corner - it's a deliberately placed effort.  I guess it's tough to say which is better because, in many ways, Ronaldo's chance is "easier" to score from... but there's maybe less fluke about the execution of it.

what a load of cobblers. 

The audacity to try it, already shows the intent of trying to score.  

Ronaldo's is a good goal, but the amount of spunk flying around everywhere is making a right mess of my hair. 

The actual goal is "good" - the situation of the goal (CL Q/F against a good team), makes it better.  

But there are loads of goals better than it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You dont think he meant it? :o

I think he meant to try and score of course. I was just saying how can someone label the Sinclair goal as “hit and hope” but Ronaldo absolutely intended to hit the exact blade of grass it struck in the back of the net...

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s a very, very good goal from an exceptional player.

It’s just not the best of all time. 

Agreed.

The conversation started with "one of the best of all time" which I think you can justify.  It's got to be in the conversation.

Sinclair's is absolutely top drawer too.

Â