• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Albrighton (for Agbonlahor 85)

Brad Friedel hailed the fighting spirit of his Aston Villa team-mates as they twice came from behind to snatch a draw at Chelsea with an injury-time equaliser.

Villa trailed early to a Frank Lampard penalty, then turned it around to lead 2-1 with an Ashley Young spot-kick and an Emile Heskey header.

Big Brad's reaction. http://tiny.cc/6c6ig

I watched that interview, they asked him if the players have been having meetings or something like that, he said we've talked a lot, but the talking is over we now need to start showing it on the field.

Something along those lines anyway, but he looked like he meant it when saying it.

Great to see some fight and spirit finally back in the team, if mon taught us one thing it was how to fight and scrap till the last minute, god knows how many points we won with that mentality. Let's hope we can keep it up now for the next few games, need to get some points on the board and start climbing the table.

Back to the old battling ways.

Honourable mention for Petrov. I've got him as my MOTM as he was excellent today, drawing fouls, relieving pressure, shielding the back 4.

Everyone else was also super.

I have to take issue with anyone saying we sat back and invited pressure - it doesn't work like that. Chelsea, defending champions, in a low state like us, everything to prove will throw people forward and pressurise us. We don't invite pressure, if we don't pull enough people back to properly defend then we're derelict in our duties. It's a game of Chess and sometimes you have to sit back and soak up pressure.

A much much better performance. I thought we should get something but my expectations were absolute zero.

Did not see the game anywhere as I was watching my son play football (they lost 6-4 for the record) but the four Dads watching with me were all Villa fans and I have so say no one but no one thought we would get anything from the game. When we went 3-2 down the consensus was another Villa **** up. How wrong we were!

Proud of the lads today. I just hope we maybe have turned the corner.

Excellent performance and fighting spirit shown by the lads. Loved the team celebration after the 3rd goal.

I thought everyone was good today, but I have to give MOTM to Dunney. Great comeback from someone I thought was on his way out. So he made a mistake? Name one player who didn't.

9 - Dunne, Friedel

8 - Cuellar, Heskey, Petrov, NRC

7,5 - Clark, Young

7 - Collins, Downing, Gabby, Albrighton

Back to the old battling ways.

Honourable mention for Petrov. I've got him as my MOTM as he was excellent today, drawing fouls, relieving pressure, shielding the back 4.

Everyone else was also super.

I have to take issue with anyone saying we sat back and invited pressure - it doesn't work like that. Chelsea, defending champions, in a low state like us, everything to prove will throw people forward and pressurise us. We don't invite pressure, if we don't pull enough people back to properly defend then we're derelict in our duties. It's a game of Chess and sometimes you have to sit back and soak up pressure.

Well said :thumb:

I thought Terry was lucky not to get sent off for his lunge on Young just prior to him scoring - the one he got a yellow for - he clearly went into the tackle with two feet aimed at Young.

Friedel was superb today and not at fault for any of the goals.

Was very proud of the lads for all their desire and heart and finally showing themselves to be men with something to play for other than their paychecks.

I thought Terry was lucky not to get sent off for his lunge on Young just prior to him scoring - the one he got a yellow for - he clearly went into the tackle with two feet aimed at Young.

FA Cup Semi final Milner memories spring to mind.

first time I've seen us play at the pub in a long time ( as opposed to barely even seeing highlights ) and I've not good a good record at the local ( with villa results ), but the opportunity arose and it seemed all those their were villa fans too. Emotional rollercoaster but some wonderful things to take from it. at the end had a large jim beam and drank it within a minute, could barely walk to the bar was such a bag of nerves after that clark goal :lol:

need a proper left back as for all clark's endeavour he was beaten too easily. I have a feeling Cuellar may stay at right back even when Luke comes back.

Heskey was **** brilliant today.

Albrighton cost us and made us one right back in fairness but yes learning all the way.

Friedel 9 - super - which was a return to form for him.

Cuellar 8

Collins 6 - dodgy challenge always could bring a penalty especially away from home

Dunne 8 - good performance back in the squad, surprised to see him though1

Clark 5 - most of that is for the goal, a bit harsh as he's not a left back, but even so.

Young 8 - such a good player for us, and very professional too, whether he's going or not, you don't know as his energy and committment is always there. Need a good finish to the season to persuade him to stay

Reo Coker - 7 - one of the few to be unluckily booked I thought.

Petrov 7.5 - good to have him back, but bloody hell Stan, I almost thought he was off after that tackle!

Downing 8 - really turning into one of our key players this year, another assist and always threatens when cutting back inside.

Heskey 9 - MOTM - outstanding I thought, his value to us as that physical outlet is understated at times.

Agbonlahor - 7 - good hussle and energy, hopefully the goals will come

character in abundance today, such an odd season this.

Super, super effort by everyone and a totally deserved point which almost feels like a win somehow.

I don't know if any one else has mentioned it; but we were forced onto the back foot and had to defend too deep in the 2nd half because of all those bookings. No one could commit to a tackle because I am sure GH had implored the players at half time not to get sent off. I also think he was reluctant to substitute when players were out on the feet and we were still winning because he has lost points through late substitutions (eg: Fulham, Man Utd) when winning previously.

Anyway, much, much better. And what a game. My dog has had a nervous breakdown!

Aston Villa have now collected 6 bookings in 2011, more than Joe McElderry achieved throughout the whole of 2010.

Make that 7.

:oops: I meant 7, someone texted it to me earlier! :lol:

The first game I've managed to get to this season and I'm still pinging off the walls with excitement. Here are a few random thoughts:

1. How crap are Chelsea as a club. I paid £69.50 for a seat right at the back of the West Stand where I couldn't see the big screen and couldn't hear the PA.

2. How crap were Chelsea the team. Think they had been New Year partying too hard.

3. How good were Villa. Looked like we were back to the committed, exuberant performnces of the last 2/3 seasons. It was good to see old stagers like Petrov and Cuellar strutting their stuff, and good to see Cuellar at Right Back - with Young out there really isn't a better alternative.

4. Haven't really sorted out individual performances - it was above all a good team effort - but Cuellar, Friedel, Petrov, Downing, Agbonlahor and Heskey all had decent games.

5. First time I had seen Dunne in the flesh this season and he has rather more of it than previously.

6. Well done Villa, made my afternoon.

FA Cup Semi final Milner memories spring to mind.

And then the game before that against Gabby. In fact, it seems every game against us Terry sets out to maim one of our players. I can't remember a game where he hasn't gone in two-footed or knee-high against someone.

We are such a different team with Heskey in attack - he stands front and centre to receive the ball - when Gabby leads the line he is usually to be found deep on the left wing.

I thought Gabby did a decent job on the left today as well - his work rate was far higher than we are used to seeing from him.

Excellent performance and fighting spirit shown by the lads. Loved the team celebration after the 3rd goal.

I thought everyone was good today, but I have to give MOTM to Dunney. Great comeback from someone I thought was on his way out. So he made a mistake? Name one player who didn't.

9 - Dunne, Friedel

8 - Cuellar, Heskey, Petrov, NRC

7,5 - Clark, Young

7 - Collins, Downing, Gabby, Albrighton

a much better performance but how can you give big scored to a defence that let in 3. If it hadnt been for a few great friedel saves it could have been even more.

We were undoubtedly better and the effort was there but we cant ignore the big issues that still persist.

Â