SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Wigan to sell N'Zogbia

Latics supremo admits club will be selling star winger

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has revealed the club cannot afford not to sell star winger Charles N'Zogbia this summer.

The Frenchman has been linked with a summer move with the likes of Aston Villa, Liverpool and Sunderland all mentioned.

The 25-year-old is entering the final year of his Wigan deal and the club do not want to run the risk of losing him for free.

Only recently manager Roberto Martinez said the club could retain its star players, Whelan now admits they have little option but to sell.

The Latics supremo would love to extend N'Zogbia's deal, however, he concedes it is a 'very difficult' situation.

Sale

"We have to sell Charles N'Zogbia because he's on the last year of his contract," explained Whelan.

"We can't keep him if a big club comes for him and he does deserve a big club because he's that kind of quality player.

"We would love to keep him and pay him what he wants to stay with us but it's a very difficult situation.

"He's such a great player and we are such a small club sometimes we don't go together."

Weird!! Strange that came out after I put that!!

GET IT DONE VILLA!!! Got a feeling we could miss out now that has been said.

Very weird......Here's hoping that we have already tabled a bid and it is Whelans way of addressing the media before the announcement.

The media are making him the obvious replacement for Young but there has been nothing concrete to suggest we are even after him let alone going to sign him. I have to admit signing him would restore a lot of belief in the clubs ambition this summer.

Weird!! Strange that came out after I put that!!

GET IT DONE VILLA!!! Got a feeling we could miss out now that has been said.

Yes. I'm sure none of the other potentially interested clubs had thought about NZogbia before Whelan mentioned that they might have to sell him. :winkold:

Yes, but now they know he is definately available and likely to settle for a smaller fee than first thought. Sounds as though Wigan need the money! Could be MORE clubs interested now.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't act quick with this one?

Sounds like Whelan's trying to start a bidding war by letting everyone know that N'Zogbia is available. Of course, it could just be that he's already off somewhere (hopefully us) and he's preparing the Wigan fans for his departure.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't act quick with this one?

Don't think I've suggested any such thing. I was advocating signing the Zog way back and would love it if it was a done deal by this time tomorrow.

However, I don't think we were ever in a position to do a "Benty" as it has been well publicised that he wants to leave Wigan (nearly completing a deal to the Scum last January - ffs he must have been desperate to get away!) and I should think it is common knowledge that he is entering his final 12 months.

It's a cliché but this isn't Football Manager here, it's real life. Sometimes these things take time. Would I like our business to be done quickly? Yes of course, and do I think we go about things a bit slowly sometimes? Yep, but we don't know the ins and outs and sometimes it's not the fault of the club that things take time. If it happens, it happens.

Sunderland are our closest rivals to N'Zogbia's signature. They are our main threat.

Except they've told SSN they're not bidding for him.

All the rumours from Wigan were a few days ago that CNZ won't be on the plane flying out to Sweden tomorrow,

and that he's Villa bound.... then Whelan confirms he's being sold.

but who knows..

Sunderland are our closest rivals to N'Zogbia's signature. They are our main threat.

Except they've told SSN they're not bidding for him.

All the rumours from Wigan were a few days ago that CNZ won't be on the plane flying out to Sweden tomorrow,

and that he's Villa bound.... then Whelan confirms he's being sold.

but who knows..

Well ask who then if he knows!

Come on, what clubs know and what the media know is completely different. Newcastle wont pay the 9m Wigan want and Liverpool want Downing. Sunderland pose the biggest threat. From what ive been told N'Zogbia prefers it up in the north east as well. Im still very confident he will be a Villa player though.

I would agree, but for the fact that I really, REALLY want rid of that ungrateful little prick Downing. Any money we get for him is an advantage.

Don't want to see him in our shirt again.

That is a prime example of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

It is obvious he is angling for a move, but I dont think he has openly come out and said as much (ala News of the World and Barry)

Worse case scenario:

Arsenal buy Downing

Liverpool buy N'Zogbia

We buy Shaun Wright Phillips

Given the summer we've had so far, I can almost see it happening

Or even worse would be if Liverpool get Downing and N'Zogbia, which could very well happen.

I'm trying to remain positive, yet there have been no solid links as such between us and N'Zogbia. This is what is worrying me a little.