SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Its only my opinion but Zog coming to us is practically a done deal as a direct replacement for Ashley Young and selling Downing will have no bearing on it.

I don't think even AM is stupid enough to expect Albrighton to step into the shoes of Ash and play in that position for the whole season.

Its only my opinion but Zog coming to us is practically a done deal as a direct replacement for Ashley Young and selling Downing will have no bearing on it.

I don't think even AM is stupid enough to expect Albrighton to step into the shoes of Ash and play in that position for the whole season.

Irrespective of whether he thinks Marc could step up to first XI it would be crazy to go into a new season with only two wide options. There will be injuries, suspensions, rotation and times when we will need to make tactical changes which mean we need at least three proper options for wide players with probably Gabby and Delph covering as makeshift back up.

Even if the Zog comes in, if we lose DJ we will need to buy a third wide player IMHO. I'm getting really frustrated with people saying we don't need a replacement for Ash as Marc can step up as if we could go through a whole season using only 11 players - its as if MON is coming back??

I agree wholeheartedly that we need third winger, if not even third and fourth, be it/them N'Zogbia or someone else. There should be two players for each position in case of injuries, suspension and need for rotation.

Irrespective of whether he thinks Marc could step up to first XI it would be crazy to go into a new season with only two wide options. There will be injuries, suspensions, rotation and times when we will need to make tactical changes which mean we need at least three proper options for wide players with probably Gabby and Delph covering as makeshift back up.

Even if the Zog comes in, if we lose DJ we will need to buy a third wide player IMHO. I'm getting really frustrated with people saying we don't need a replacement for Ash as Marc can step up as if we could go through a whole season using only 11 players - its as if MON is coming back??

Totally agree...As I said earlier...Albrighton is a great,great young talent, but the guy is still learning and needs to progress gradually. I have no doubt he will be a great player for us over the years to come, but he needs to mature and develop at his own pace. Let's not put undue pressure on the kid so early. We need to have two more wingers in place come the start of the season to help the kid develop and learn more about himself as a player and how to cope with the demand of PL football.

It would be madness not to bring two more wingers if Downing leaves. If he doesn't we are still short one winger. You can't expect so much of a player so young.

Totally agree...As I said earlier...Albrighton is a great,great young talent, but the guy is still learning and needs to progress gradually. I have no doubt he will be a great player for us over the years to come, but he needs to mature and develop at his own pace. Let's not put undue pressure on the kid so early. We need to have two more wingers in place come the start of the season to help the kid develop and learn more about himself as a player and how to cope with the demand of PL football.

It would be madness not to bring two more wingers if Downing leaves. If he doesn't we are still short one winger. You can't expect so much of a player so young.

This wasn't really my point. I am not saying that Albrighton couldn't step up and be first choice. Although personally I agree with you that he needs to be handled more carefully at this stage of his career.

My argument was more along the lines that we need wide options and that it would be folly to go into the new season with only one option in any position.

This wasn't really my point. I am not saying that Albrighton couldn't step up and be first choice. Although personally I agree with you that he needs to be handled more carefully at this stage of his career.

My argument was more along the lines that we need wide options and that it would be folly to go into the new season with only one option in any position.

I know it wasn't your point...I was stating my argument. Of course Mark could step up.....And I agree; yes it would be foolish to go into the season with only one option in each position.

Downing although being a very good player is certainly not irreplaceable. Totally agree that we need more options and thats why i have continually avocated that if Downing is to leave then we must have a replacement lined up such as Johnson from Citeh. A first choice of N'Zogbia and Johnson with Albrighton as backup would be ideal. I believe Johnson would come here as he is not playing regularly for citeh and it wouldn't harm his place in the England squad at all!

Downing although being a very good player is certainly not irreplaceable. Totally agree that we need more options and thats why i have continually avocated that if Downing is to leave then we must have a replacement lined up such as Johnson from Citeh. A first choice of N'Zogbia and Johnson with Albrighton as backup would be ideal. I believe Johnson would come here as he is not playing regularly for citeh and it wouldn't harm his place in the England squad at all!

Would be very happy with those three as options. The other player that I wouldn't mind us picking up, instead of the Zog or Johnson, would be Shaqiri, the young Swiss guy - I think he can play either side but is also capable of playing off the striker as a no. 10.

This is the new Villa though, nothing would surprise me!

The new villa? Didn't we go a few years without a recognised RB an the when finally signed one played him at left back?

I'd like to think this is the new villa under a new manager. I hope I'm right.

DelboyVilla wrote:

Quote:

The new villa? Didn't we go a few years without a recognised RB an the when finally signed one played him at left back?

I'd like to think this is the new villa under a new manager. I hope I'm right.

Sorry my bad!! :oops:

This is just like Villa to do this??

Xherdan Shaqiri, the 19-year-old who has already won 12 caps for his country and played over 60 first-team matches for his club.

Said to have been on Aston Villa's radar for the past four months, Shaqiri has been impressing scouts all across Europe with his sheer quality.

A diminutive yet explosive player, Shaqiri has the pace and power required to be a success in the Premier League, having proved his ability to bully full-backs by sprinting past them and shrugging off their challenges.

With the ability to play on the right or left, he's also a very versatile footballer, and is able to play as a second striker or trequartista, due to his highly accurate short-range passing, or even as a wing-back due to his acceleration and upper body strength.

And for an Aston Villa team which likes to positionally inter-link a playmaker like Young with wingers like Downing and Marc Albrighton, such adept versatility from Shaqiri means he'd fit right in with the Villans.

He also has a high tactical awareness, drifting into various positions to open up defences and send a teammate through on goal, being something of a dream player for any coach.

An almost complete attacking player, Shaqiri also has a very accurate shot from long distance, something which could come in handy for a Villa side who have lacked goals this season.

Overall, Xherdan Shaqiri could well be the perfect replacement for the probably outgoing Ashley Young and/or Stewart Downing.

An exciting young talent, Shaqiri's signing would again bolster Villa's reputation as a club full of future superstars with the likes of Albrighton, Barry Bannan and Ciaran Clark.

And considering the wealth, reputation and infrastructure around Aston Villa, luring Shaqiri to Villa Park is very much a possibility.

However, with Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Lazio, Fiorentina and Juventus also reportedly keen on the Swiss star's signature, it's by no means a certainty the player will move to the Midlands no matter how much Villa offer.

An inflation-adjusted fee of £10 million could be enough to sign Shaqiri, and if Villa do decide to make a bid for the starlet, he could well be the man to fill void left by Young and Downing.

With N'Zogbia looking likely to be an expensive all round signing on both wages and trans fee. A better option could be to go all out to sign shaquiri..A 10m offer to Basel would make their eyes pop out and im sure he wouldnt want the sort of wages N'Zogbia will be looking for..