SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

So Whelan agreed to sell him last year for £10 million, and now he’s become more than twice the player as he’s now worth £20 million and he’s got one year left on his contract. Bizarre maths to say the least...

Whelan says that when he looks at some of the prices players are going for then 20m is acceptable for N'Zogbia. And hes right. 20m for Henderson? Absolute joke. Liverpool have inflated the market to such an extent that anybody half decent is suddenly worth 20m+. And that is the reason they are trying to get Downing on the cheap. They have probably done most of their budget on average shite (Henderson and Carroll are average IMO). But they have set the precident now so they can **** off if they think theyre getting Downing on the cheap

From what I can see, Whelan is doing nothing wrong. We bought Downing for 12m - now we want 20m.

Is Nzog any worse than Downing, debatable, but if we get 20m for Downing you can't blame Wigan wanting the same.

Which is why we shouldget him BEFORE we sell Downing.

Is Nzog any worse than Downing, debatable, but if we get 20m for Downing you can't blame Wigan wanting the same.

It's the length left on the contract that makes all the difference though. If we keep Downing, will we expect the £20m next summer? No, of course we won't. So it stands to reason the N'Zog should be cheaper

Personally I'm not too bothered about replacing Young if we can sort the centre out.

Albrighton will come in and do a very good job, but I'm not convinced this obsession with wingers is for the best anyway. I've always much preferred quick, incisive passing through the middle with defence splitting passes for midfields making clever runs. One of the major things that annoyed me with O'Neill was that everything had to go down the line to be whipped in to the box. Predictable rubbish.

The Barcelona system doesn't rely on wide players, in fact they don't have rigid positions at all. They use mobile players who move all over the pitch to create mahem.

If we can get someone in who is solid but can also drive forward, play a pass and pop up with the odd goal (Parker, maybe, though perhaps a younger player from the continent, I don't know), then players like Delph and Makoun, possibly Bannan and even Ireland, could excel in a more narrow, triangular system.

All that said, I'm not confident McLeish is the one to turn us in to the next Barcelona, but you never know...

One of these two will then line up alongside Delph in the centre of midfield.

I'm pretty sure if Ireland proves himself, he will also be playing a pivotal role.

Key word being 'IF'. If my information is correct, Villa are trying sell Ireland at all costs....Problem is, when you have a nutcase on your books being paid 70k a week, there are not many takers.

I hope he comes good though.

Of course, you know everything. Ireland is staying.

Quote from Whelan:

'We have to sell Zoggy because hes in the final year of his contract'

According to the website of the club he owns, N'Zogbia's contract runs out in July 2013. (3.5 years from Feb 2009 = July 2013 end date!)
N'ZOGBIA ARRIVAL TAYLOR MADE

Posted on: Mon 02 Feb 2009

Charles N'Zogbia joins from Newcastle United as Ryan Taylor moves the other way

The club have confirmed that they have paid a club record fee to land the highly coveted France Under 21 international midfielder Charles N'Zogbia from Newcastle United. Ryan Taylor has moved the other way as part off the deal.

N'Zogbia has completed a medical and has signed a three and a half year deal at the JJB Stadium, immediately declaring "I can't wait to get started!"

Quote from Whelan:

'We have to sell Zoggy because hes in the final year of his contract'

According to the website of the club he owns, N'Zogbia's contract runs out in July 2013. (3.5 years from Feb 2009 = July 2013 end date!)
N'ZOGBIA ARRIVAL TAYLOR MADE

Posted on: Mon 02 Feb 2009

Charles N'Zogbia joins from Newcastle United as Ryan Taylor moves the other way

The club have confirmed that they have paid a club record fee to land the highly coveted France Under 21 international midfielder Charles N'Zogbia from Newcastle United. Ryan Taylor has moved the other way as part off the deal.

N'Zogbia has completed a medical and has signed a three and a half year deal at the JJB Stadium, immediately declaring "I can't wait to get started!"

Feb - July 2009 5 months

July - July 2009 - 2010 12 months

July - July 2010 - 2011 12 months

July - July 2011 - 2012 12 months

Add them together that's 3.5 years.

Well 3.5 years if you add another month to the last year.

I can't believe this thread is up to 40 pages, I'm yet to see a single thing to suggest we have as yet shown any interest at all in this player. In fact there seems plenty to suggest we haven't according to the manager and chairman of Wigan, which given that Whelan seems to be doing all he can to flog him suggests we are perhaps not as interested as the press would suggest.

To me it seems we are not in for N'Zogbia in the wake of the sale of Young and that if we do have an interest in N'Zogbia it will only be acted upon if Downing leaves. Given that we are told there hasn't actually been a bid for Downing, he hasn't requested a transfer and McLeish is quoted via the fans as saying he isn't going anywhere it kind of leaves me concluding that there really is nothing to see here.

It does seem that we are looking to get Nzogbia in if Downing goes...That is madness to me. We will be short of a winger, unless AMc uses the option of Gabby out wide....and we sure know how well that worked last season.

As I said earlier...Albrighton is a great,great young talent, but the guy is still learning and needs to progress gradually. I have no doubt he will be a great player for us over the years to come, but he needs to mature and develop at his own pace. Let's not put undue pressure on the kid so early. We need to have two more wingers in place come the start of the season to help the kid develop and learn more about himself as a player and how to cope with the demand of PL football.

Bri, Newcastle would be in for him too, he's played at Newcastle before and I'm sure he has a house and friends up in Newcastle so that may be his prefered choice, but it would be down to wages I think, who offers him the most.

Yeah but i just dont see newcastle giving nzog what he wants.

IMO if downing stays then we will not be in for nzog and i think we might see him goto liverpool.