Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STEPHEN IRELAND is set to escape his Aston Villa misery - with a loan deal to Newcastle

Ireland, who was taking his time over deciding who to join, has told pals he is now open to a move to Tyneside.

He is primed to go for talks today after the Toon money men sanctioned paying £40,000 of his 65 grand-a-week salary.

Villa are willing to let Ireland go – despite boss Gerard Houllier’s denials – and have been haggling about the size of the contribution to his earnings.

Newcastle have now emerged as clear favourites after Celtic pulled back following the capture of Kris Commons from Derby.

Bolton also took an interest but have decided against a deal.

Ireland would give Newcastle chief Alan Pardew a fresh option in midfield and he would also hook up again with old pal Joey Barton in the Newcastle midfield as they go for a top-eight finish.

The People

I was devastated when the inevitable happened and we sold Milner. I thought getting Ireland as part of the deal would help cushion the blow but unfortunately it hasn't worked out at all. Such a shame too as he is a decent player. I remember when he first signed and there was an interview that he'd done and he was saying Villa got a great deal as he is alot better than Milner lol. Do us a favour you delusional tw@! I'd drive Ireland to Manchester to dump him and take Milner back to Bodymoor Heath anytime (I'm allowed to dream)

I was devastated when the inevitable happened and we sold Milner. I thought getting Ireland as part of the deal would help cushion the blow but unfortunately it hasn't worked out at all. Such a shame too as he is a decent player. I remember when he first signed and there was an interview that he'd done and he was saying Villa got a great deal as he is alot better than Milner lol. Do us a favour you delusional tw@! I'd drive Ireland to Manchester to dump him and take Milner back to Bodymoor Heath anytime (I'm allowed to dream)

I personally think it's more of a case that Milner fit our playing style perfectly while Ireland didn't.

If MM is right no players who want out will have part wages paid, the difficulty here in my opinion is that he wont play for us so do we we play hard ball with him or just part pay his wages? The other problem is that the guy is as mad as a box of frogs and any loan spell will more than likely scare suitors off. I would say let him rot in the reserves but our reserves dont deserve that and he would struggle to get in that team.

There's a decent player inside Ireland, it's all about him getting his head right.

You know when I read that I thought that of all the places for a player to go to get their heads straight toon town would be the last one I would choose but then it might just be the place for SI providing that Pardew will pay what he is worth.

He won't go this window. He will get a decent chance in the team in the run-in, and GH will decide whether he can use him next season. If he fancies him he stays, if not they'll cut their losses and buy quality in the summer, GH won't mess around.

A lot will depend on Young staying. However they both may go and would expect another Bent style marquee signing to continue he push.