Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MIDFIELD misfit Stephen Ireland will still be a Villa player in February, Gerard Houllier has confirmed.

Ireland has been linked with a series of moves during the January transfer market after struggling to kickstart his claret and blue career.

But the former Manchester City favourite, currently sidelined by a knee problem, will remain at Villa Park at least until th end of the season.

Asked by the Birmingham Mail if Villa will keep Ireland beyond Monday’s transfer deadline, Houllier replied: “Oh, yes. He should be back next week.

“The doc knows more. I’m looking after the players who are available and fit, I can tell you that. I’ve got enough of the squad to look after. When the players are injured it’s the doc’s responsibility.”

Houllier hinted that Ireland, who has three-and-a-half years left of his contract, could have a future at Villa.

He added: “Of course, if he shows he’s better than what I have, yes.

“I’m not stupid, I’ll play the best players

Birmingham Mail

Never doubted Irelands talent. I just hope he can get his act together and find his feet, and maybe more importantly, get the chance to find his feet and start to play a bit more. Rather have him on the bench than Pires. And I think the point with Bent taking up all the focus is a good one. It can help Ireland a lot. And the fact that he's a whole different striker to play with. An Ireland in form would be one of our best players.

He ain't which is why Toon won't fork out for his full wages or pay a fee. Next week when he might be fit is too late for this window.

The Downing thing was different as we wanted him long term and missing a couple of months was no consequence.

My real worry is as he says he doesn't like football is he will sit on his arse and collect millions in wages for feck all.

Thing is Irelands problem is entirely mental. If he can buck up his ideas and play with guts and passion then he'll become a Villa favourite. If not, then he's a waste of space. HOWEVER for the past 2 months I am not afraid to admit I've wanted him gone as he's put 0 effort in. With Bent though, I'm hoping we can see a situation similar to him and robinho, where Robinho's clever runs and instinct coupled well with Ireland. Gabby isn't "clever" enough as a football, but maybe if Ireland is put with Bent it COULD work.

Which makes me appreciate GH a bit more, that he's gone and got a proper striker!

Pull your socks up Stephen and you will do well at Villa. If you don't, you won't.

personally i would give him another chance just because we are playing better now and him and darren bent could potentially link up very well. I think it was hard for ireland coming into the team having gabby or heskey up front as they are not going to make the runs that ireland can make passes for were as darren bent has a good football brain to get into the positions.

I'm really split over Ireland. It is obvious that the boy has talent but with his attitude and body language, I don't want him anywhere near our club. However, being treated in this way may well be the best thing for Ireland's career in the long run in that it may well get his head right. If that is the case then like Gazton has said, having a proper striker like Bent could be perfect for him if he gets the chance to play again.

Interesting from Houllier. Ireland really needs to step it up, as ridiculous as it sounds now if Ash was to leave it opens a gap for Ireland in the team and if he can play like we know he can, it would help stem the loss.

I think the fact GH always says pretty positive things recently and always mentions been good enough to get in the team, he thinks SI is good enough to play he just wants him to show it and perform.

Still not forgetting he made a mess of the relationship at the start though.

^^^^^^^^

You need locking up if you think we should get Barton. He is one a few select players I would stop going to VP until he was gone.

^^^^^^^^

You need locking up if you think we should get Barton. He is one a few select players I would stop going to VP until he was gone.

agreed. barton is just pure thug should not be allowed to play football.

Those players are:

Stephen Carr

Joey Barton

El Hadji Diouf

Kevin Nolan

Much as I detest Stephen Carr, I would out Lee Bowyer ahead of him in that list any day of the week. That would be a team I would find very difficult to get behind. My nose flat mate struggles as it is.

Those players are:

Stephen Carr

Joey Barton

El Hadji Diouf

Kevin Nolan

If you'd stop supporting you club just because they signed some player you don't like, i'd suggest that says more about your so called support than anything else.

Rather ridiculous.