Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could turn out to be a smart move by Houllier. I don't think he rates Ireland and is unlikely to play him, so the hope is to send him out on loan and hope that he gets a new lease of life. Put him in the shop window and you never know, we might even make a profit on him.

Good move, this way he can be someone else's problem for the remainder of the season at least. What is so frustrating is the fantastic potential he has which at the moment is little more than potential. He had one blistering season at Man City and that's it. Ok he had injuries but you would have thought that the move to us would be a real chance to reestablish himself.

Sadly I think many of his apparent problems are in his head. Much as I rate him I think we will not see him in a Villa shirt again which is probably a good thing in the longer term.

Thing is that all players in all sports lose form at some stage.

What separates being able to stick with someone through a bad patch is their effort and attitude.

Rooney (sorry to bring spudface into it) has been poor recently but tears around the pitch like a kid and can still have a positive effect on the team.

The likes of Warnock, Ireland and Carew have been going through the motions when they've had opportunities this season and have been prone to not working hard enough or guilty of giving the ball away very cheaply.

Ireland was consistently beaten to the ball up at Sunderland by his marker, even though his marker often had to go around Ireland to win the ball. You cannot play a player in 'the hole' if he doesn't work to get into space, gives the ball away and then makes no effort to win it back.

A loan could potentially raise his value. If he can be phenominal for Newcastle (as we know he can be) we can demand 8m or so for him. At the moment we'd struggle to get 3 for him. Get's him off the wage bill for the rest of the year, gets him playing football again and hopefully he can regain some form.

Well, looks like Houllier got his way eventually I suppose.

For the record, I am all in favour of a new manager putting his stamp on the team, bringing in his own players and moving on players he does not want.

However I object, strongly, to the manner in which he has handled Stephen Ireland. There's a difference between playing mind games in the media and blatantly lying and playing games with a man's family life.

How about if he's phenomenal for Newcastle and we sell Young he can come back and be phenomenal for us? Just a thought.

I think if he's phenomenal for Newcastle there's a good chance he'd rather stay there. He hasn't seemed to want to be here since he arrived, and if he's doing better again elsewhere he's hardly going to want to return.

I find it odd Houllier hasn't seemed at all interested in Ireland, but I highly doubt we'll see him for us again now. Big shame.

For the record, I am all in favour of a new manager putting his stamp on the team, bringing in his own players and moving on players he does not want.

However I object, strongly, to the manner in which he has handled Stephen Ireland. There's a difference between playing mind games in the media and blatantly lying and playing games with a man's family life.

Really? He tried Ireland, didn't work. We had players playing better so he was left out which was fair enough. GH thought Ireland needed to pull his socks up which he stated int he media, which was bad on GH part.

GH said the other day he wouldn't be going anywhere which was probably playing hard ball with teams who were trying to sign him.

GH said that Ireland had been doing well in training and may get a chance soon but other players were playing well and I think Ireland may have sustained his injury not long after this.

Sometimes it just doesn't work for a player at a certain club. I'm sure the door will still be open here if he does well after his loan spell.

This is what happens in football all the time.

Really? He tried Ireland, didn't work. We had players playing better so he was left out which was fair enough. GH thought Ireland needed to pull his socks up which he stated int he media, which was bad on GH part.

GH said the other day he wouldn't be going anywhere which was probably playing hard ball with teams who were trying to sign him.

GH said that Ireland had been doing well in training and may get a chance soon but other players were playing well and I think Ireland may have sustained his injury not long after this.

Sometimes it just doesn't work for a player at a certain club. I'm sure the door will still be open here if he does well after his loan spell.

This is what happens in football all the time.

GH 10 SI 0.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Make it permanant and make it quick

I couldn't care less if he rediscovers that '6 month' form he had a few years back either or continues the same way the majority of his career has gone. He's a lazy bastard with an appalling attitude.