Stephen Ireland

Richard

"There's also a lot of talent [at Villa]. We will look for one or two players who have been a little bit dormant, in whom Villa have made a massive investment," he said.

"A couple of years ago, he [ireland] looked an amazing player, he was making runs from midfield, getting in the box, scoring goals, picking out the right passes. Every ball he touched turned to goals.

"Now, all of sudden, his game hasn't gone the way you'd expect.

"Since [McLeish's] coming into Aston Villa, the player has excelled in training. He's looked, really, as if he's making those piercing runs in the practice matches, and I'm looking forward to Stephen Ireland being fully fit and competing for a whole season.

"Again, as a manager, you have to try and get the best you can out of every individual. That's what I'll do.

Good words from the gaffer :D

here

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has had a full pre-season, a manager who is backing him, a goal machine in front of him and no Ashley Young hogging the ball and refusing to pass to him.

If these are not the right conditions for Ireland to succeed at Villa then there is no hope for him.

That's probably true.

I think he will have a great year, personally, but then again I am one of the "glass half full brigade"...

Where the difficulty arises is when people say that they think (or in some cases expect and 'know') he will have a great year.

Without going back over the Milner transfer thread for details (and thus just going from memory), Ireland's part in that deal led some people to declare that we had the better player in the deal* and more to suggest that Ireland was just the player we needed and that he would be great for us last season.

A few may have dissented but it appeared that this was the majority view.

Last season, though, didn't go very well at all. Even though we were told early on that he was one of the hardest working people ever, was brilliant in training, was glad to be here and how much better Villa felt than Man City, the short time that he spent on the pitch didn't set the club or the league alight. Sure, some things could have gone differently and that may have helped him produce the goods: Houllier could have kept his mouth shut, he might have scored that one chance early on which may have given him a great start, &c.

It didn't go well, though, and he found himself on loan at Newcastle (hardly playing/injured?) and the subject of some Villa fans' disgruntlement.

So far this year, we have had stories of him working hard, wanting to do well and being brilliant in training. And he played decently/really well (depending upon whose judgement one reads) against Walsall in a pre-season game.

Now let's all hope that this season turns out differently to the last with respect to Ireland and be very thankful if/when it does but I think we should be very cautious before expecting or believing it to turn out better.

*Edit: Just had a quick scan back through a thread or two and it seems my recollection was slightly wrong as it had some people saying that we had the better part of the deal - not sure many if any said we had the better player.

A few may have dissented but it appeared that this was the majority view.

I never thought anything other than we'd miss Milner dreadfully.

We absolutely thumped West Ham last year first game of the season with him in the team. Soon as he walked out the door it took us a long while to adapt. He was the powerhouse in our midfield. Ireland is a creator not a powerhouse.

Ireland is more of a Barry Bannan type player.

Some of Ireland's through balls for Bent last week were just brilliant. No one spotted them apart from him and Bent.

I said before Houllier made a mistake not pairing these two together with or without Gabby.

posted this in Zogbia thread by mistake, should be in here

"A couple of years ago, he [ireland] looked an amazing player, he was making runs from midfield, getting in the box, scoring goals, picking out the right passes. Every ball he touched turned to goals.

"Now, all of sudden, his game hasn't gone the way you'd expect.

"Since [McLeish's] coming into Aston Villa, the player has excelled in training. He's looked, really, as if he's making those piercing runs in the practice matches, and I'm looking forward to Stephen Ireland being fully fit and competing for a whole season.

"Again, as a manager, you have to try and get the best you can out of every individual. That's what I'll do.

I know ive gave Ireland a fair amount of stick since hes got here but i really am quite excited to see what he can do under a manager that gets on with him and shows him a bit of faith. Im not holding my breath, but if McLeish can get him anywhere near his best he will be a valuable asset for us.

Technically, alongside Makoun he is the best at the club.

Mentally, he really needs to be supported and encouraged by not just the manager, but the fans and his teammates. If Shay Given can do what he said and get the best out of Ireland, it may just be the best 3.5 million Villa ever spent!

The epitomy of a confidence player to me.

I agree PieFacE. Last year he was decent at times. His lack of tracking back was shown up more because the whole team played poorly. But his vision and general attacking play was still pretty good. I remember him having a few chances against... Cheslea?... and if one of his chances had gone in, then people would have been raving about him.

The miss against Chelsea was a bit of a sitter, but like you say, had it gone in the place would have erupted. A simple goal can break or make a player, especially when everyone in the place is waiting for him to make his mark.

It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Ireland is arguably the best player at the club from a technical standpoint.. He was arguably the best player at Man City before he was dropped and shut out for a whole season. If he can get some match practice and a bit of that near on arrogant confidence back he'll be a star at Villa.

Ireland playing at even 90% is an amazing thought, I think he was at 20% last season. Him linking with Bent is very mouth watering, I hope we can get him back to something like his best. I'd have us top 6 with him on form.

Half time. Good to see Ireland frustrated. Means he has Passion.

Ball gets played past him and his midfielders behind him are not applying pressure.

Has had the ball passed to him maybe twice in the whole half of football.

Half time. Good to see Ireland frustrated. Means he has Passion.

Ball gets played past him and his midfielders behind him are not applying pressure.

Has had the ball passed to him maybe twice in the whole half of football.

Agree with you mate, the distribution to him has been non existent. He is running about more, along with trying to get the team to wake up.

I must say Delph has been dissapointing again. I just cant see him making the step up to this level. Same with the Fonz.

Warnock looking solid again, however.

And Given is quality already. Brad who?

I feel for Ireland today, he did go missing but where was the supply from the defensive midfield? petrov and delph just wernt supplying the balls, they do not create the space needed to give the defence a breather nor can they supply the balls. with Makoun on he does have that ability, we soo badly need a quality defensive midfielder, our midfield was soo poor in the first half it was unbelievable.