Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game but the criticism of Ireland is hardly surprising.

Starting to wonder if he was just a one season wonder.

Or if he's just the easy target.

Nevermind the fact that Delph and Petrov were chasing shadows the whole match.

I think it would be best to give him a full season under a manager who actually wants him here and then judge him rather than a preseason game against a very strong Chelsea side in which there were plenty of other below par performances.

palacios and makoun would be 1 of the best cm partnerships in the league imo

But why?

Makoun did not have a very good start to his Villa career last season, although I am not one to judge him completely given some red cards and injuries. However, he did have trouble with the pace of the game. Probably capable of getting 2-3 goals and 4-5 assists next season if he plays every game, but he is not the attacking midfielder some seem to think!

And then there is Palacios. A player not good enough for Tottenham, being benched so that Huddlestone (another pretty average player) can play instead. Rash tackles, slow and sluggish as well as absolutely no attacking capabilities.

As for "best partnership" in the league, they probably would not reach top 10! There is a reason why Palacios never plays for Spurs and why their fans want him to **** off!

Both have been criticised ...Petrov's criticism is just as strong from some.

Both have been criticised ...Petrov's criticism is just as strong from some.

Yes but people love to pick on individuals rather than accept the whole team was completely and utterly outclassed.

Yes but people love to pick on individuals rather than accept the whole team was completely and utterly outclassed.

Very true, we looked lacklustered and disinterested and seemed glad just to be in the final and had given up on any chance of beating Chelsea before they got on the pitch. Given looked absolute class and made some fantastic saves the poor lad will be bombbarded this year if we continue this way.

And OT but Palacios used to play for Wigan didn't he??? Be careful now!!

^^^^

I havent been on villatalk long but that post above it the funniest thing ive seen in a while. Does this person watch football?

Take a CM who doesnt get in a 5th place team. Pair him with a CM who has barely played in a 9th place team. Put them together...what do you have?

One of the best CM partnerships in the league...

Laughable post.

I havent been on villatalk long but that post above it the funniest thing ive seen in a while. Does this person watch football?

If you're ever depressed go to the history of posts there are some real legendary one's in there!!!!

We are weak in CM this year and it really is a worry IMO. No one who knows how to tackle, all small, lightweight and slow!! And the most consistant player cannot do 90 minutes week in week out for a whole season!

I don't get this obsession with needing players to run around like mad men, we had a try hard who the fans loved and when he was out of contract the best team who wanted him were Bolton wanderers.

Forget last season, Ireland left a club that he didn't want to leave, he joined a club where the manager who wanted him had left and his new manager had a go at him in public pretty much straight away.

Ireland deserves a fresh start this year. He should be treated as a new signing this summer and given a chance this season. He has proven he has the ability to perform at this level, which can't be said for other players we have that seem to always get full support.

He is still only 24 years old and I hope Mcleish does his best to get the best out of a player who could be very important for us and our top striker this season.

I've said it before but I can't understand why CM hasn't been the absolute priority this close season. Anyone could see last year that despite having two very good wingers, that two of the best teams in the league paid out nearly £40m for, we still scraped to 9th place - the real problem was a very lightweight and poor central midfield. I'm happy that N'Zogbia and Albrighton can provide balls from the wings that will be quality but if we're overrun in the middle it won't make the slightest bit of difference. Our defence could be world class but with no protection in front of them they're always going to ship goals. We MUST get the midfield sorted.

It's just possible that the head case that is Ireland could come good, Makoun is actually half as good as some on here think (I'm from the 'say it as you see it' rather than 'I'm a football expert and if you can't see that he's world class then you're an idiot' brigade - IMO he's not going to cut it in the Premier League, he's been less effective than Sidwell so far) or Bannan really steps up BUT if I was manager I'd be absolutely pleading with RL to bring in some KNOWN quality. Parker is the outstanding candidate for me, but even Barton (gulp) would improve us.

Last piece of the jigsaw for me and if we did get Parker I think that he'd make more of a difference than just one player. We've never had a decent 'spine' as a team over the last few years, just when we had a class central midfielder in Milner, we didn't have a decent CF, when we sorted that out with Bent we lost Milner. Given, Collins, Parker, Bent looks good enough for me.

the real problem was a very lightweight and poor central midfield. .

Without wishing to agree or disagree, that "lightweight and poor" central midfield cost us a whole shed load of money.

Whats the combined transfer fees for Petrov, Ireland and Makoun? Over £20m? The recently released Reo-Coker was also very expensive

Do you suppose we could move any of them on, to get them off the wage bill? If not, we are pretty much stuck with what we've got. Here's hoping Ireland discovers he's a proper player again. Hope being the operative word I guess.

[edit] And I forgot completely about Delph .... so thats a midfield that cost nearly £30m ..... blimey

^^^And that's my point. I don't think a single Villa midfielder has been linked with any other team - because they're not good enough. RL needs to manage the wage bill fair enough, but that has to balanced with finishing several places higher, higher attendances, sales of shirts, etc. We NEED another CM player, otherwise keeper, defence and strikers will all fail to do their tasks to the ability they can.

Well in typical villatalk style one defeat and the hole team needs to go.

So after our 3rd pre-season game, against former prem champions who are into their 6th pre-season game, also put in horrible conditions = villa shit and ireland out.

Laughable.

The kid also hasn't played for about two yrs. He's been put back into the fold slowly.