Stephen Ireland

Richard

Ireland was playing with Gabby being the lone striker today and, as we saw, Gabby doesn't play on the shoulder on the last defender in the same way as Bent does.

Ireland's game is all about through balls to the frontman, or surging runs past the defence, and that's not going to happen when playing with Gabby upfront and static midfield around him.

When Makoun came on, his passing and movement brought others into the game. We've yet to properly see Ireland in a midfield with Makoun and Delph with Bent up front, so lets hope we get the cahnce at Derby on Wednesday.

gabby played really well on his own up front when MON was in charge but he seems a different player now. He seems to have lost his spark?
seemed to happen after that close season when he bulked up, hasn't been the same since

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was quite happy with Ireland, seemed to want the ball a lot more than any of our so called midfield. Delph was atrocious, Petrov did ok, but he's not the greatest of midfielders technically so he was just used as a wall which didnt really work out either.

I don't know what people are moaning at Ireland for... How was he supposed to do anything when he had Heskey/Delfoneso on the left wing and Albrighton who was no match for Zhirkov unfortunately...and Gabby upfront who spent most of his time in our half!

The problem is we don't play out from our defence enough. You look at what Chelsea were doing the defenders were playing up the field and then passing it onto the midfield well into our half before then trying to do some damage with the strikers. Where as our guys get the ball then shout "ave it" as the ball goes out of play.

So, once the rest of the team actually learn how to play football, Ireland will be great.

442 is the only formation we should play. Delfoneso/Heskey/Gabby should stay clear of the wings!!

So much negativity just because of one pre-season game. If McLeish, who sees Ireland everyday in training, is happy that he should be starting for us then that's good enough for me. He'll play players on merit. Give Ireland a chance in a real game before people get on his back already.

So much negativity just because of one pre-season game. If McLeish, who sees Ireland everyday in training, is happy that he should be starting for us then that's good enough for me. He'll play players on merit. Give Ireland a chance in a real game before people get on his back already.

One think that Mcleish will not stand, is people not putting in a shift, either in a match, or on the training ground. So im with you on this 8)

I think the negativity towards Ireland is based on his entire career (apart from a couple of motd highlight reels) not just this game.

He coasted on the reputation he gained from a couple of fluke games for City and I have yet to see him in a competitive game for Villa where we wouldn't have just been better off playing with 10 men.

I think the negativity towards Ireland is based on his entire career (apart from a couple of motd highlight reels) not just this game.

He coasted on the reputation he gained from a couple of fluke games for City and I have yet to see him in a competitive game for Villa where we wouldn't have just been better off playing with 10 men.

I don't think Ireland will be that good for us and he hasn't been good, he's been dire for us thus far but to say he just had a couple fluke games is embarrassing. He had a brilliant full season in 08-09.

He was as useless as usual yesterday. So much for a new found determination to succeed

We need athleticism in the middle, a strong, tough tackling, energetic, box to box player

And Parker doesnt meet any of that criteria either

I don't think Ireland will be that good for us and he hasn't been good, he's been dire for us thus far but to say he just had a couple fluke games is embarrassing. He had a brilliant full season in 08-09.

agreed, but he's had just one FULL great season out of how many as a professional ?

maybe it's true what they say about form being temporary (his one great season) and class being permanent (the rest of his career)

agreed, but one FULL greta season out of how many as a professional ?

maybe it's true what they say about form being temporary (his one great season) and class being permanent (the rest of his career)

As said, I don't think he'll be good for us, I don't think he's that good and in the main, the rest of his career has been poor.

He was as useless as usual yesterday. So much for a new found determination to succeed

We need athleticism in the middle, a strong, tough tackling, energetic, box to box player

And Parker doesnt meet any of that criteria either

None of the players we currently have meet the above criteria IMO. We really need to bring one in.

palacios would be the perfect player imo

im not sure theres a place for this type of player in the prem anymore. I think clubs need a little more than just a stopper. You have to be able to play. None of the top clubs have them anymore. For me Liverpool stopped competing by persisting with Mascherano a few years ago when everyone else was playing two or three high energy, ball playing midfielders. They help you win the ball but cant help you retain it.

palacios would be the perfect player imo

I have to say I'm very surprised people would rather Palacios than Parker. (Sorry if I'm being presumptuous here but thats the impression I get) None of my Spurs supporting friends rate Wilson at all and they would all love Parker to join them.

I agree with Cheltenham, I don't think its enough to be able to break up attacks, you have to be comfortable on the ball as well.

he's younger, more athletic and would just be a better fit for our team imo

You are of course entitled to your opinion. I can't argue that he isn't younger, I would say imo he isn't as good on the ball, doesn't pose as much of a goal threat and I don't think he's a better tackler.

Maybe I'm just pro-Parker as I can't believe anyone younger than myself is too old to play professionally :(

If they are going for a similar price, I'd rather Palacios given his age. I think Parker is the better player but for how much longer? a year? I think he'd be a good improvement on anything we have now. We should have just kept Reo-Coker but we haven't....Palacios alongside Makoun would be very strong for me.

What i don't like about Ireland is that he jogs across to close someone down without ever looking like he really wants to make a challenege, so when he gets there he kind of just dangles a foot and lets the player run away from him.