Stephen Ireland

Richard

Well good half against Walsall, keep it up son!! You'll be a legend before the pre-season ends??

lol

Wow. You boys have actually hit the point where a Villa win and a good performance from one of our players doesn't bring you pleasure.

Good luck to you. I hope if I ever get there I have the good sense to pack the whole thing in.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if stephen ireland banged in 20 goals this season for us, none of the top 4 would still buy him

Is he off to Liverpool then? :winkold:

if stephen ireland banged in 20 goals this season for us, none of the top 4 would still buy him

Yeah with Albrighton when he puts in a stellar season.. :lol:

Some of his through balls for the strikers last night were sublime.

But then look who's in front of him now. That's one of the things he was best at with City.

Houllier never had the sense to link up Stephen Ireland with Bent, stupid IMHO.

We can't play two strikers and Ireland. That in the hole role, or maybe striker are his only positions. He is efectively Gabby's rival and although I'd like to see Gabby and Bent at some point, the team looks more balanced on paper with Ireland.

I think Albrighton's gonna get found out this year.

I do not believe him to be this messiah that so many others seemingly do.

There's a big grey area between 'found out' and 'messiah' that I believe most people exist in. I'm one of them and I'd be one of his more vocal supporters.

I think Albrighton's gonna get found out this year.

I think this season will be a big test for Albrighton, I think he'll do okay and become an established squad player for us.

Ireland, I hope will come good - mainly as I think if he doesnt then we'll end up with him regardless until his contract runs out. He's def capable of being a class player though.

There's a big grey area between 'found out' and 'messiah' that I believe most people exist in. I'm one of them and I'd be one of his more vocal supporters.

It's not about supporting him or not BOF, I'll sing his song as loudly as the next man at a match but I believe people overrate him.

He's incredibly right footed which makes him predictable generally, he doesn't play with his head up and he doesn't seem to make the best decisions a lot of the time.

I'd love for nothing more than to be proved wholly wrong come May 2012 but my fear is that he's been put up on a pedestal that he can't live up to which might make his fall more painful.

No one can doubt that this lad has great ability. Its just getting performances out of him on a fairly consistent basis that is the issue. Hopefully McLeish can do what Hughes did for a while and get the best out of him. He is certainly going the right way about it by massaging his ego. Houllier just didn't have the ware with all or patience to get anything out of him and in fact destroyed any chance of doing so with one of his many unnecessary bleatings to the press.

Im still trying to find what odds i can get on SI making the team of the season, anyone help me out??

To be fair Rich, that is such an obscure bet that the only way of getting odds would be to walk into the bookies. I have no doubt they would bite your hand off though...

We'll always have people to bring us down a notch though. Ireland seemingly looked 'sublime' while he was on the pitch so at least it appears as though the desire is there this season. Now all we need is to get him back to full fitness. I believe he went off as a precautionary measure last night. I think it's enough for fans of the club to be at least excited that we might have a 'new' quality player in the mix.

Some of you are already thinking Ireland will do the business? I mean he only lasted about 40 mins before going off injured. Seems abit injury prone to rely on..

Taken off as a precaution in a pre-season friendly means he's injury prone? :shock:

Ireland has great ability but can he get (and keep) his head right? Can he also manage to stay fit more?

Albrighton already has a very sound temperament to add to his 100% passion for the claret and blue. We've seen both his ability to cross a ball and also his ability to hit the target. He's also up there in the Darren Bent school of anticipating the right position to get on the end of things.

He's not the finished article because he still needs to learn the optimum moment to release the ball, and although he's more than willing to defend he makes a fair number of wrong decisions about when to tackle and when to hold off. AM will work on that aspect of his game.

Two good players .... if they both have good seasons we will do well.

We'll always have people to bring us down a notch though. Ireland seemingly looked 'sublime' while he was on the pitch so at least it appears as though the desire is there this season. Now all we need is to get him back to full fitness. I believe he went off as a precautionary measure last night. I think it's enough for fans of the club to be at least excited that we might have a 'new' quality player in the mix.

Just watching first half now, sublime is extremely over the top. He's had a good first half. Just needs to sharpen up (which obviously being pre-season, he hopefully will do)