Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was a good player for one season, fair enough to him, he had a good 12 months alongside Robinho and other very good players. As far as I am concerned sooner he does one the better. He never seemed that keen on joining in the first place and since he has joined he has never produced this apparent talent in a Villa shirt.

Darren bent is a good player. Stewart Downing is a good player. Luke Young is a good player. Stephen Ireland is not a good player. He doesn't fight, he whinges, he has no respect, no work ethic nothing.

Nah thats it now we wont get rid of him now unless Pardew gets trigger happy with his £45m in the summer (which he probably wont even get).

Gunna have to hope that GH's [probable] replacement can get him back to his best and injury free.

-------NRC

------------Delph

------Ireland

Downing------Young

---------Bent

would be a very good front 6 if they were all on form, but i'd have hoped for a Milner/Gerrard &GG type midfielder instead of Ireland to be the attacking engine in midfield working off of Delph/Makoun/Bannans passing. Ireland is very much a luxury player as he doesnt have the right work ethic but he would be very useful in the squad. 68k wage for a bench player isnt good enough though.

And he's a twunt.

He might have the ability within his body but he hasn't got the attitude and that's what is even more vital. He's also not good enough for me to sort of make him a luxury player. He's a good player but he isn't going to single handedly win games for us and he isn't going to carry this team.

Mentally, he just ain't there and therefore he needs to go.

i say we give him a shot next season, clean slate. no point selling for 2-3m wont benefit us whatsoever

it would save the club 80k per week or over £4 million pounds per season in wages for the remainder of his contract which i guess is 3 years, so a 12 to 13 million pound saving and a 3 million pound fee for him.

we would be 15 million pounds better off if he was removed from the club and sold.

i guessed he would not play again this season, i put it in a thread , maybe this one that he will ALWAYS say he has an injury to get out of playing if he can. he is trying to live off 1 good season with man city for his entire life. please god dont let it be at our club.

i wanted him to do well but he is a poison and will be more disruptive than positive. who would want him anywhere near the club on his wages when others are playing and putting themselves on the line for 10 times less money? i bet clark, bannan, albrighton, the fonz and all the other youngsters are not on 8k per week.

get rid of the slap heeeeed asap.

Haven't given up on him entirely.

It will be tough for him to come back, but ultimately if he gets a good pre season under his belt and starts the season well I'm sure there will be plenty around here ready to lionise him. Increasingly in football today you're either outstanding, one of the greatest ever. Or shite. No inbetween.

To me, he looked like a player short of match fitness and confidence when he came into the fold around Oct. Some good touches, awareness and nice passing, but not able to sustain it over the course of a game. Yet certainly not a poor player.

A manager who actually knows his game and believes in him might get a better response. It was pretty clear that Houllier's approach: "People keep on telling me what a great player he was, but I've yet to see it" wasn't going to increase the confidence of a player already short on it. Nor saying after his one start versus Liverpool away (when he wasn't by any means the worst Villa player on the pitch) "People have been calling on me to start with Stephen and play him off the striker, but I won't be doing that again." The manager's conduct and overall performance that night was far more disturbing than SI's in all honesty.

What other impression could he have got other than his time at Villa was going to stall his career, working with a bloke who clearly had no time for him.

Ideally (for him) someone like Hughes might get the gig and provide him with a route back. Regardless of that, it's up to him from now on. If he wants to stay and make a go of things then great. If he wants to catch the eye of the likes of Liverpool and co again, or believes he should be playing on a bigger stage, fine. Prove it. No more excuses.

Haven't given up on him entirely.

It will be tough for him to come back, but ultimately if he gets a good pre season under his belt and starts the season well I'm sure there will be plenty around here ready to lionise him. Increasingly in football today you're either outstanding, one of the greatest ever. Or shite. No inbetween.

To me, he looked like a player short of match fitness and confidence when he came into the fold around Oct. Some good touches, awareness and nice passing, but not able to sustain it over the course of a game. Yet certainly not a poor player.

A manager who actually knows his game and believes in him might get a better response. It was pretty clear that Houllier's approach: "People keep on telling me what a great player he was, but I've yet to see it" wasn't going to increase the confidence of a player already short on it. Nor saying after his one start versus Liverpool away (when he wasn't by any means the worst Villa player on the pitch) "People have been calling on me to start with Stephen and play him off the striker, but I won't be doing that again." The manager's conduct and overall performance that night was far more disturbing than SI's in all honesty.

What other impression could he have got other than his time at Villa was going to stall his career, working with a bloke who clearly had no time for him.

Ideally (for him) someone like Hughes might get the gig and provide him with a route back. Regardless of that, it's up to him from now on. If he wants to stay and make a go of things then great. If he wants to catch the eye of the likes of Liverpool and co again, or believes he should be playing on a bigger stage, fine. Prove it. No more excuses.

I agree.

Good post.

But some of the comments on here seem to be pointing the finger at GH as opposed to Ireland. The only way Moyes, or whoever takes over (if anyone) from GH, will get Ireland firing is if the player pulls his finger out of his arse and actually tries. Originally I felt sorry for him for not being given a chance at Villa but he clearly doesn't give a shit about football.

Ireland came at the wrong time, I say sit him down and ask him if he wants a shot at playing for the club, if he does then lets see if someone can get the best out of him, I dont think GH can handle his personality, but then GH may not be our manager next year now

Ireland will never ever be a top player because of his personality and attitude. We can't expect to babysit him and 'treat' him the way he thinks he should be treated, it's a very simple set up in football, you do well in training and prove yourself the best option for a match, and you get paid unimaginable amounts of money to do it. Ireland came expecting to be first choice, had quite a few chances and was very poor. When we was dropped and told to prove himself he threw a hissy fit and begged to leave.

Then he goes to Newcastle, slags off Birmingham and hails the way he has been treated at Newcastle after being there for a few weeks, saying he'd love to stay there for years when he hadn't even set foot on the pitch for them.

Complete joke, and personalities like this should be kept a long long way from our dressing room. Sell him for as much as possible as soon as possible and if there is no buyers just cancel his contract, damage limitation.

But some of the comments on here seem to be pointing the finger at GH as opposed to Ireland. The only way Moyes, or whoever takes over (if anyone) from GH, will get Ireland firing is if the player pulls his finger out of his arse and actually tries. Originally I felt sorry for him for not being given a chance at Villa but he clearly doesn't give a shit about football.

Nail on head for me...