Stephen Ireland

Richard

Mind you, the thread is about Ireland...

Yeah not Houllier, nor is the article being posted. Every manager gets on with players differently, yet Houllier is getting blamed for not handling Stephen Ireland of all players correctly ffs...

The reason Ireland is at Newcastle is because of Houllier...

The reason Ireland is at Newcastle is Stephen Ireland. I think he should be grateful he's not rotting in the reserves.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason Ireland is at Newcastle is he was utterly woeful when he was given his chance, has shown no desire/improvement when asked and, ultimately, is in no mental shape to play for us.

I agree he didn't really play well when he did play but still that was no reason to banish him from the first-team and then send him out on loan out of the club asap.

I think he would have been a good player to have on the bench to bring on for the last 20 mins or use in a rotation policy etc.

He can't be anyworse than Sidwell can he?

But we got rid of Sidwell because he wasn't good enough, same as we've got rid of Ireland because he isn't good enough.

The reason Ireland is at Newcastle is he was utterly woeful when he was given his chance, has shown no desire/improvement when asked and, ultimately, is in no mental shape to play for us.

I agree he didn't really play well when he did play but still that was no reason to banish him from the first-team and then send him out on loan out of the club asap.

I think he would have been a good player to have on the bench to bring on for the last 20 mins or use in a rotation policy etc.

But we got rid of Sidwell because he wasn't good enough, same as we've got rid of Ireland because he isn't good enough.

I think he was good enough for the bench.

Rather have Ireland on the bench than Bannan (harsh I know) and Hogg who were getting in ahead of him.

Even Clark was playing centre mid.

I think he was good enough for the bench.

Rather have Ireland on the bench than Bannan (harsh I know) and Hogg who were getting in ahead of him.

Even Clark was playing centre mid.

Bannan has played far better than Ireland this season, and Clark and Hogg aren't really relevant as Ireland couldn't play in a defensive role even if by some miracle he had a good day.

What's more, the management clearly felt the youngsters had more to offer than Ireland as well, hence why they shipped him out as quickly as they could. You bang on about Houllier disrespecting the club but I'd say Ireland's lack of effort and dedication are a far bigger insult to Aston Villa.

Damn!

I really wanted him to prove himself at the Toon.

Still think we should keep him in the squad next season.

Hopefully we'll have a new manager who doesn't banish good players from the squad to the detriment of our team.

who doesn't banish good players from the squad to the detriment of our team.

But he wasn't good. It was clear that Houllier had made a judgement on him and was pushing him out so the article above says nothing other than that.

Ireland has had chances and he has been cack so I agree with Houllier. How else is there to be than hard-line? If Houllier wasn't going to play him and Ireland was going to start moaning then I think what Houllier did was quite logical.

Some dreams need to be let go and Ireland working out in a Villa shirt is one of them.

I'f rather try with him again with a pre-season next year and give him another chance than to ship him out asap and lose money.

I still think he's a good player.

You can see he has the touch, technique and creativity to play in the hole.

See I dont really get this, I cant see it at all. He hasnt actually showed any glimpses of creativity since he's been with us. His passing HAS been shockingly poor and (whilst you're not saying this) I can't agree at all with the people who say that he's not performing because our players arent on his wavelength. I simply dont understand anyone defending him, for me, Barry Bannan has shown far, far more technical ability and creativity, but just lacks the application at present.

See I dont really get this, I cant see it at all. He hasnt actually showed any glimpses of creativity since he's been with us. His passing HAS been shockingly poor and (whilst you're not saying this) I can't agree at all with the people who say that he's not performing because our players arent on his wavelength. I simply dont understand anyone defending him, for me, Barry Bannan has shown far, far more technical ability and creativity, but just lacks the application at present.

Agree to an extent, but there's simply no doubting that Ireland has ability. I want Bannan to make it here so badly, but really, if both were on top form, I'd pick Ireland any day.

He needs to get his head right. After Houllier lodged a few minor criticisms at him before the Fulham game, he brought him on with ten minutes to go, and he set up a host of chances and looked very good. I know that's only ten minutes, and we also went on to concede a late equaliser, but there's no doubting Ireland has quality with his feet. It's his bloody mind that's the problem.

If he can't get it right during pre-season, let him go, but if he shows improvement, he could be excellent for us - especially if Ash leaves which seems likely.

One good season is all he's ever had. Ever since he joined Villa I've never seen anything from him that suggests that he will recapture that once in a lifetime form.

If we do get a new manager due to GH retiring I think ultimately how he handles Ireland will let us know once and for all if Ireland is worthy of this club.

We forget he went from being golden boy at City to shipped out like Dunne and then MON signed him and then promptly f*cked off. GH didn't want him. The guy has been handled badly and is clearly three cards short of a full deck, but he does have the talent if someone can find a way of balancing his ego and ability then we could have a real asset - he didn't look bad playing his 12mins so far for the Geordies.

You'd think Moyes or Hughes could sort him out, Hughes got the best out of him once so surely he could again?

Despite all the above i couldn't give a damn if he goes or stays, but i don't want us to make a big loss on him - so i think we have no option but to give him another go much as i hate typing that.