Stephen Ireland

Richard

but surely that is cutting off our nose to spite our face, weve paid money for him, were committed to paying his wages for a few more years, surely the sensible thing is to try as hard as possible to make him a success at this club. Give him a pre season etc, if he shows he wants it in training, he gets a chance. To write him off seems pointless.

This is where i'm at, he's an oddball thats for sure but he also came in to the club at an odd time. Let him have a pre season see how he goes, that said if we did sell him early on cant say i'd be bothered.

It depends how much we can recoup by selling him. If we can't get rid then better to try and get him playing than rotting in the reserves, but if we can get a few million and a big earner of the wage bill, then far better to cut our losses.

From my point of view, places and gametime in the middle of the park are already subject to a massive amount of competition.

Just because Ireland theoretically cost us a lot of money, I dont believe this means that we should be giving him any more chances than any of our younger players who cost the club little/nothing. The cost of Ireland is a sunk cost, and should be irrelevant in team selections. The way I see it is that in Ireland we have a player who doesnt give a damn about the club whilst we have a number of Youth players who would bust a gut to get gametime for the club.

Similarly we have Makoun, who hasnt lit the world alight as yet, but by all accounts is trying his utmost to intergrate into the team/squad.

If Ireland comes back and trains hard, then fine, but for me he has to work his way back into the team, starting from the bottom of the pile.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but surely that is cutting off our nose to spite our face, weve paid money for him, were committed to paying his wages for a few more years, surely the sensible thing is to try as hard as possible to make him a success at this club. Give him a pre season etc, if he shows he wants it in training, he gets a chance. To write him off seems pointless.

This is where i'm at, he's an oddball thats for sure but he also came in to the club at an odd time. Let him have a pre season see how he goes, that said if we did sell him early on cant say i'd be bothered.

It depends how much we can recoup by selling him. If we can't get rid then better to try and get him playing than rotting in the reserves, but if we can get a few million and a big earner of the wage bill, then far better to cut our losses.

From my point of view, places and gametime in the middle of the park are already subject to a massive amount of competition.

Just because Ireland theoretically cost us a lot of money, I dont believe this means that we should be giving him any more chances than any of our younger players who cost the club little/nothing. The cost of Ireland is a sunk cost, and should be irrelevant in team selections. The way I see it is that in Ireland we have a player who doesnt give a damn about the club whilst we have a number of Youth players who would bust a gut to get gametime for the club.

Similarly we have Makoun, who hasnt lit the world alight as yet, but by all accounts is trying his utmost to intergrate into the team/squad.

If Ireland comes back and trains hard, then fine, but for me he has to work his way back into the team, starting from the bottom of the pile.

Oh yeah, that should all be a given. If he is to ever get back into the team, he has to be picked on merit because he is performing better in training than others looking for the same position, not because he is more experienced / bigger name / more expensive etc.

From what I'm told, that's what he wants too.. He doesn't want special treatment, he just wants to be treated equally as a squad member.

That includes not being asked to submit a transfer request simply to expedite the manager's desire to ship him out, not being asked to train with the youths without being told why by his manager, not being told that regardless of his performances in training he will never be picked for a matchday squad and not being told to relocate him and his family then subsequently being told that he shouldn't have rented that house because the manager wants to sell him in January.

From what I'm told, that's what he wants too.. He doesn't want special treatment, he just wants to be treated equally as a squad member.

Gazton, I'm not asking for you to reveal your sources, but how strong are they? Because I'm finding it so hard to read this Ireland situation.

I'm gutted he didn't get a chance with Newcastle to show that he's still got it. I guess we'll just have to be patient.

EDIT: Coding Error

I used to have a boss that suffered with depression and also had a clinical disorder. This disorder would largely come about when he was under pressure. He'd encouter a scenario then would mull it over and constantly think about it. Each time he thought about the scenario it would change a little until eventually it was much changed from the original, a bit like chinese whispers. The problem being was that he would truly believe the final version of events in his head were what really happened. He once accused me of saying that I hated working for him and that he was not respected by other members and was in fact a joke. He believed I said this in front of him and two other colleagues and the only way I wasnt disciplined was that the other two colleagues were questioned and fortunately denied this conversation took place.

Now I'm not a psychologist but Ireland is a bit wacky and with the stories he has come out with in the past I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt suffer with a version of this disorder.

Gazton, I'm not asking for you to reveal your sources, but how strong are they? Because I'm finding it so hard to read this Ireland situation.

I'm gutted he didn't get a chance with Newcastle to show that he's still got it. I guess we'll just have to be patient.

As strong as they get but, as I always say, I'm only hearing one side of the story.

Get rid of that Man. Acc. terminology on football forums, you!

That includes not being asked to submit a transfer request simply to expedite the manager's desire to ship him out, not being asked to train with the youths without being told why by his manager, not being told that regardless of his performances in training he will never be picked for a matchday squad and not being told to relocate him and his family then subsequently being told that he shouldn't have rented that house because the manager wants to sell him in January.

I think a change in manager will give Ireland his last, final chance.

I remember when he came on against Fulham and was brilliant. If he could do that every 4 out of 5 games we'd have some player. He's made it incredibly hard for himself now though, and he'll have to pull off something great to win the fans back.

While at the moment he appears a lost cause, strange things happen in football.

Houllier retires on health grounds, Mark Hughes comes in and suddenly you have a manager who helped him produce his best form of his career two seasons ago so he'd be back in the fold.

Same with Warnock who played very well for Hughes at Blackburn.

He's a lost cause

Agree. I'm sick of hearing people say give him another chance, give him a pre-season. He's a waster.

I agree. If he gets another minute of gametime at the expense of Bannan, Gardner or Delph then I'll be annoyed. He's had enough chances and hasnt showed that he wants to make it at this club. Others are far more deserving of their chance.

6 League starts and a few sub appearances qualifies as enough chances now? I'd hope we'd take a slightly more long term approach to what was, after all, an investment of sorts. I have no huge sympathy for Stephen Ireland the individual, he's not an easy character to like.

Unfortunately, whilst we may have a bit of money to spend, we're not really in a position to be so short-termist in outlook that we **** off a good player after only a few games. Even if we were, it probably wouldn't be the way to go.

Exactly. Give him every chance to succeed (or fail). Providing he wants to turn it around.

Why does everyone think he'll perform under a new manager? It's not like before he came to Villa he was a consistent performer with no history of falling out with managers or being a prick. Get rid of him ASAP.