Stephen Ireland

Richard

Met him this morning. Nice guy, but he wasn't able to do the bit of filming with us because he was injured. Worried how injured he is if he's not capable of kicking a ball a couple of times for Children's TV.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked at him playing for us and the last few games have certainly been an improvement. I think he is now getting on the ball more and that is down to a better understanding with those around him. It was obvious in his games last season that he was not receiving passes although often well positioned to take them. He was not demanding the ball and his teammates were not looking for him either. That seems to be changing and this will bring more confidence and we will hopefully be the beneficiaries of that. He is definately a confidence player.

I get less and less convinced he will come good for us in each passing game... so sad.

I don't get this, as his form starts to improve you get less and less convinced?

...especially as SI has proven form in the Premier League (albeit previous form!) which he has the potential to regain. Delph on the other hand...

'SI' had one good season...could he not be a one season wonder? Form says yes.

What form? He's only played a handful of games after spending most of last season injured or on loan.

He'll need a few more games under his belt before I'll make a judgement on whether or not he can produce what he has in the past.

Whether SI was a 1 season wonder seems to be irrelevant to me...even at 6/10 I can't say we've got someone better to replace him (I'd include Bannan in my team already)

He certainly doesn't give the ball as much as Deiph and whether Jenas will ever play is anyones guess...

I thought he had his best game for us last weekend, linked up with Bannan and Gabby well. There is still hope he can come good if he maintains that sort of form, certainly wouldn't be any worse than having Delph in the team who's form the metaphorical train wreck.

'SI' had one good season...could he not be a one season wonder? Form says yes.

He had one great season but had a good seasons under Sven and Pearce. I remember a 3-1 defeat at COMS he was brilliant, think Vassell got 2 that day. Taylor was in goal for us

• 4 weeks later...

i dont get it, Ireland was improving every game he played - ok so he was still far from the player we want him to be but surely he's the logical replacement for Bannan - NOT HESKEY

McCleish seems to be limiting the team more and more by not involving Weiman, Delf or Gardener.

If Bent is shit then he should be subbed, Petrov has one good game in three yet is rarely subbed and neither is Delph if he is playing.

-----Bent-----

Gabby

Ireland Petrov Bannan Zog

Warnock Dunne Cuellar Herd

Given

Is that surely not the best team we have?

is there any stats on how many goals we concede from set pieces when Cuellar is playing CB?

Ireland has definitely been improving, although I think he has yet to gel with those around him. When he does'nt have to track back so much I reckon we might see the best of him. I'd play him for sure now.

Heskey, on the other hand? I'll be glad when he retires because then no-one will be tempted to pick him :)

how can you say that this is the best team we have? Zog? Ireland? Both have done nothing this season, hence why Ireland is on the bench. Zog will be warming it up soon aswell.

Weiman? Who do you suggest we drop for him then? Gabby or Bent?

I feel really sorry for Ireland, a player who clearly builds his game around confidence, finally gets a couple of starts under his belt, looks to be building on every game and looking like he may be close to returning to something like the form we know he is capable of. So then what does McLeish go and do....drop him!

Ive got to say i just dont see the logic here!? AM himself said Stephen needed games to build his fitness and confidence, so why in Gods name does he drop him? 2nd half against QPR he was the best player on the pitch!

Braindead decision imo.

I feel really sorry for Ireland, a player who clearly builds his game around confidence, finally gets a couple of starts under his belt, looks to be building on every game and looking like he may be close to returning to something like the form we know he is capable of. So then what does McLeish go and do....drop him!

Ive got to say i just dont see the logic here!? AM himself said Stephen needed games to build his fitness and confidence, so why in Gods name does he drop him? 2nd half against QPR he was the best player on the pitch!

Braindead decision imo.

Especially if you consider that he was replaced by HESKEY!