Stephen Ireland

Richard

I have just finished watching the replay. I am really pleased with Ireland's performance. I thought he passed well and made alot of good runs into dangerous areas. Unfortunately some of his team mates failed to pick out his runs. A few well guided passes to him could have produced a few more chances.

As good as he's been, I thought Gabby was most guilty of this. He never finds the quick pass when he's in the final third. If he was a bit brighter with his lay offs, Ireland's game would improve massively.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he worked really hard yesterday and second half looked much more of a threat.

Even on Tuesday I thought he looked brighter in patches.

He's getting there methinks...... but unfortunately we've a fair few players who are a wee bit out of form at the moment and they need to step

it up.

Still with a solid back four and the injuries with a midfield/forward line still out of sorts.....we've acheived 8th. Which is actually OK.

He was my MOTM yesterday.

Showed good pace, positioning, touch, balance and passing accuracy. He was orchestrating the midfield effort, the first time for a while we've had someone doing that.

(In the second half, that is. In the first half he generally watched the ball ballooning over his head, more often than not sailing into touch, like the rest of the midfield.)

Fingers firmly crossed that he will come good this season...

Enjoyed watching SI play yesterday. When we stepped it up he started to look a lot better and he was really involved. He needs to get a run of games now to get his match fitness and confidence back to the level required. Having said all of this, I would have liked to have seen Gardner get 20 minutes, probably for SI, towards the end to see what he could do and give SI a rest as he hadn't started an Premier League game in a long time.

In the first half he generally watched the ball ballooning over his head, more often than not sailing into touch, like the rest of the midfield.)

Absolute joke of a first half yesterday that was like V Bolton in the Carling Cup...watching Collins et al hoof it over everyone in a vain attempt to reach Gabby. It was embarassingly easy to defend against.

Great second half from him as we began to play, but nothing he does will be good enough for some of the muppets on here.

I know I have not got many posts, but I don't think calling some fellow posters "muppets" after 21 posts is a good approach .

And also please don't nick other people's names!!!!

That said i only keep it cause i don't know if you can keep your user history but change your name. does anyone know?

How did he get on yesterday? I didnt see it because i was flying back from Benidorm, but im hoping somebody in our house sky+'d it...

Looked rusty first half and wasnt involved too much (may have been due to the ball sailing over his head for 45 minutes), 2nd half when we tried to get the ball down and play, he looked much better and showed signs of returning to his old self. A long way to go still but the signs are promising. As i said before, i think he needs a run of games to gain some form.

Enough to warrant starting against Wigan.

I hope McLeish has the sense to drop Delph before Ireland or Bannan for the incoming Jenas.

I genuinely dont see this, Delph is the only one working in there. He is on the move before the receiver has even received the pass.

Personally, I would be building our midfield around Delph. He is a quality, quality young player and if you dropped this kid into the Arsenal or Man Yoo midfield, he would not look out of place.

Our midfield is all over the place, it really is a mess, but to slate Delph I just dont get.

Each to their own I suppose.

The way I see it is that Delph loses the ball far more than Petrov or Ireland. He did make some intelligent forward runs and showed a lot of enthusiasm, granted, but for the time being, I think Jenas could probably do the same more effectively.

The way I see it is that Delph loses the ball far more than Petrov or Ireland. He did make some intelligent forward runs and showed a lot of enthusiasm, granted, but for the time being, I think Jenas could probably do the same more effectively.

But in fairness, Delph did/does twice the running of those two for no other reason than he has to!

I will give you Ireland is always looking for the pass, but to compare Delph to Petrov whose passing is generally sideways/backwards is a touch unfair. No wonder he doesnt give it away, he is not exactly adventurous.

In the first half yesterday, you'd have been hard pressed to find a more lethargic and uninspiring threesome as Petrov, Delph and Ireland. 2/10 all round

Second half i'd have bumped them up to around 5 tops

All this talk of Ireland being GREAT second half is quite frankly ludicrous. He was adequate, bordering on half decent 'at times'. He still never broke sweat of course

But in fairness, Delph did/does twice the running of those two for no other reason than he has to!

I will give you Ireland is always looking for the pass, but to compare Delph to Petrov whose passing is generally sideways/backwards is a touch unfair. No wonder he doesnt give it away, he is not exactly adventurous.

In fairness to SI during the first half he was leading the distance travelled stats at over 5,000m he was even tracking back and defending? I was surprised but it seems like he was working hard on Sunday even in he first half!

No-one played well first half, so tricky to judge Ireland on that. Second half though I thought he looked much much better. Possibly wasn't helped by the fact that Delph alongside him had an absolute shocker.

If Ireland can play like he did in the second half a few more times, and if we can get someone good alongside him (or Delph can start showing his worth) then I reckon he could still be a good player for us. He needs confidence though, it was obvious as the QPR game went on he grew in confidence because his touches got better and he was trying more and more advanced things.

He worked hard, which was a first, so fair play to him. Still has everything to prove however.

I read this every time he plays. "At least he worked hard for a change".

I've personally never seen him slack off in a Villa shirt, but I missed the first couple of games last season.

I thought he was decent Sunday. Movement is fantastic as ever and he picked his spots well. Impressive.