Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If the clause exists regardless of our relegation, all it means is that out of loyalty, Delph said that he would stay with Villa until things with the club went tits up. He holds his future in his hands, he has been loyal to the club, and it has cost him £8 million for the privilege. If he moved to Man City without having signed a new contract with us, he'd get whatever signing on fee City would give him now, plus the £8 million pounds he has decided to donate to the club for old times. 

It shows loyalty and it also gives him a bit of job security and a first team place with the euros coming up, but he's not stupid. If the club starts being extremely badly run, or gets relegated, he has a one way ticket out of here. And it could well have cost him in the region of £8 million. 

• Like 1

Not really. If I leave my job for another job that offers me similar pay and is not a step up, then it probably had something to do with me not liking how the company was managed. 

You're still ignoring the point that the course Vlaar MAY POSSIBLY be on now was set well before Sherwood arrived so the worst you could say about him is that he failed to alter how pissed off with the club Vlaar was under Lambert/Lerner's disastrous regime.

• Like 1

Not really. If I leave my job for another job that offers me similar pay and is not a step up, then it probably had something to do with me not liking how the company was managed.

You're still ignoring the point that the course Vlaar MAY POSSIBLY be on now was set well before Sherwood arrived so the worst you could say about him is that he failed to alter how pissed off with the club Vlaar was under Lambert/Lerner's disastrous regime.
Exactly. It seemed obvious, way before Sherwood arrived, that Vlaar was not renewing. Absolutely ridiculous to now say that's probably because of Sherwood. And then to top that, claim that 2 players, who may leave because of release clauses agreed before Sherwood, would somehow be down to Sherwood. Amazing stuff. Edited by DCJonah

If he goes good luck to him. He has done the honourable thing and effectively bequeathed £8m to us when he could have left for nothing. He will be paid about £100k a week too and who in their right mind would turn that down?

He is a quality player and we haven't put players like him around him, so this will only continue, Benteke as well.

Until the management starts investing, our best talent will continue to aspire to ambitious clubs.

4 years we have been in relegation battles, next year will be no different.

• Like 1

Also, people saying that the clause was a stupid thing for us to put in there, you realise if it wasn't for that he'd have walked away for nothing already, right?

Well in that case no one can praise his loyalty then. Last I checked, loyalty didn't mean "I'll sign so long as I can leave if a better team comes knocking".

I also don't care that this would mean we would get some money for a transfer, am I supposed to be happy he is a kind enough gentleman to let us keep him temporarily? Such a low release clause totally undervalues his worth and it wouldn't even be a profit so what is the point?

I just hope it's all untrue, if it's not then I point to my early points about our administration and what this would mean in my eyes for a player that waxed lyrical about signing to stay.

Becasue Villa getting £8m for him is better than getting £0m surely?
My point would be that £20m+ is what he is worth in today's market and that's the kind of fee we should be aiming for.

Again, IF it is true, you wouldn't catch other clubs acting in such ways, where the hell is our pride? We are acting like the prison bitch

But presumably if this clause exists, then that's the most Delph was willing to sign for.

I'm sure whoever negotiated his contract didn't want a clause at all. And I'm sure when one was mooted, we wanted it to be higher. But Delph wouldn't sign with a clause that high.

Do people really think we just stick these classes in Willy nilly?

Most likely it was a case of Delph signs a new contract with a release clause and we get £10m for him OR he doesn't sign and he walks away for nothing.

• Like 1

Wouldn't blame him at all if he left and frankly I actually think the club have played this quite well if he does because the options were this or he leaves for nothing. Delph has also done us a favour if leaving was always on the cards for him because he's gained us a fee we wouldn't otherwise have got.

• Like 3

Wouldn't blame him at all if he left and frankly I actually think the club have played this quite well if he does because the options were this or he leaves for nothing. Delph has also done us a favour if leaving was always on the cards for him because he's gained us a fee we wouldn't otherwise have got.

I can see that, but my issue is that if it was always on the cards why create such a big deal about him signing. The twitter picture and the video message before kick off are absolutely stupid decisions if there was a chance he was going to leave.

I can see that, but my issue is that if it was always on the cards why create such a big deal about him signing. The twitter picture and the video message before kick off are absolutely stupid decisions if there was a chance he was going to leave.

I get what you're saying but part of me thinks at that point they were just doing anything they could to boost morale

• Like 2

Nobody (save for the people involved with contract) knows what the club could have or couldn't have done to get him to sign the contract. We don't even know if the clause actually exists or if it does the conditions surrounding it. And even if there is such a clause, Delph might not have any intentions of leaving should a team activate it.

Of course, but in that case why use it to attack the club.

And I still maintain that my scenario is the most likely.

Available for £8 million pounds is still better than available for free which was the alternative.

He didn't go then, and so it's fairly unlikely he'll go now, now that we've stayed up. Have a bit of faith in the lad I say.

If he goes good luck to him. He has done the honourable thing and effectively bequeathed £8m to us when he could have left for nothing. He will be paid about £100k a week too and who in their right mind would turn that down?

He is a quality player and we haven't put players like him around him, so this will only continue, Benteke as well.

Until the management starts investing, our best talent will continue to aspire to ambitious clubs.

I agree with all of the above apart from the last paragraph. New owners could potentially change this.

Nobody (save for the people involved with contract) knows what the club could have or couldn't have done to get him to sign the contract. We don't even know if the clause actually exists or if it does the conditions surrounding it. And even if there is such a clause, Delph might not have any intentions of leaving should a team activate it.

I'm not using it to attack the club. My thoughts are that when he signed the contract he intended to stay for another year or so (may well still do). I don't think the club would have made such a fuss over him signing up, if there was an agreement in place that he signed just so we can get £8M for him in the summer.

Was pretty unsold on the loyalty BS in January.

Accused of being over negative as per. Looking like it's just more reality.

Man City come knocking and he will go, no doubt.

A player full of confidence who will believe he can make it at the very top. He certainly won't be thinking I'm going to be 2nd best. You don't get into the England squad with that attitude.

I agree with all of the above apart from the last paragraph. New owners could potentially change this.

Haha the honourable thing? Pretty sure he got a hefty pay rise for himself for the last few months.

I'm not using it to attack the club. My thoughts are that when he signed the contract he intended to stay for another year or so (may well still do). I don't think the club would have made such a fuss over him signing up, if there was an agreement in place that he signed just so we can get £8M for him in the summer.

I was not referring to you, Useless, it was a post by another poster. And I agree with you, I think he and the club both envisaged that he would be staying for several years. I suspect he still may do so.

• Like 1

Unless he doesn't go...

... But then I doubt you'll remind us of this post then ;)

• Like 1

Unless he doesn't go...

... But then I doubt you'll remind us of this post then ;)

Well I will as I always do. Not that anyone will acknowledged that tho.

Â