Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Sorry, liability was a bit strong. But if he's going to be causing goals through inexperience and bad positioning then it doesn't matter if he does any amount of good things through a game.

Surely it does matter, if the 'good deeds' result in goals for us? Honestly I couldn't care less if his inexperience and bad positioning costs us goals, as long as we win football matches. However you do have a solid point, because I too believe it's more likely he'll cost us more in the end, playing out-of-position and all, than the potential gain that might come from his passing and forward bursts.

I'd say leave him left back if needed and I think it is down to two things, injuries and timing.

I disagree. As much as I like seeing Delph in the team, the fact is that he cost us 1 goal last night and I think he might have been fairly responsible for a 2nd (though I have to watch again). Defenders are judged on their mistakes, not what they do right - in that sense it's the total opposite of a forward. Richard Dunne can make 20 headers or clearances in a match but if he makes one balls-up for a goal then that's what gets remembered. Delph is playing in a position where his mistakes will be costly for the team. And he will make those mistakes, it's only normal. For me, Clark has to go back to leftback and one of Collins or Cuéllar goes in alongside Dunne.

I'm with you BOF. Get him playing for sure, but in CM alongside Coker!

Gerard Houllier playing players out of position. It is becoming a comedy act and worse than O'Neill.

In terms of Delph... who else was there to play LB last night???

(Okay in terms of Gabby it's a bit dodgy.)

Full article :-

Rising star Fabian Delph has signed a new four-year contract with Villa.

The midfield ace has put pen to paper on an improved deal this afternoon, tying him to the claret and blues until 2015.

Delph has impressed boss Gerard Houllier with his combative and all-action displays from the centre of the park - and his versatility after playing the last two games at left-back.

Delph was understandably thrilled to pen the new contract.

He said: "I am absolutely delighted. The club has shown great commitment in me by offering me this deal and I was more than happy to sign it.

"I am happy and my family are happy - so everyone is happy. I want to push on now, improve and play a part as we look to finish the season on a high and build for next season.

"I am really pleased to have extended my association with the club."

Manager Houllier hailed Delph's attitude after seeing him sign the deal.

He added: "I know Fabian hasn't played a lot for us because he has just got over his long-term injury but we are very confident he will become a very good player for Aston Villa.

"The fact he signed the contract means he trusts us too.

"I think he's a good footballer, he will get stronger and stronger and he will improve his game.

"When you sign a player - or re-sign a player - you need to make sure he has the right attitude for the club and the fans and Fabian certainly fits that bill."

The 21-year-old signed for Villa in July 2009 after establishing himself as one of the rising stars of English football.

And, considering the step up to the Barclays Premier League from League One, he impressed everyone with his performances in training.

It was his maturity and ability to influence proceedings - like he did against Fiorentina in a pre-season friendly - which led him to be selected for the opening match against Wigan at Villa Park.

Villa struggled in the game, surprisingly went down 2-0 and Delph had a spell on the sidelines but when he returned to action he again impressed greatly, especially in the top-flight clash with Manchester United and FA Cup fourth round match with Brighton.

Delph's season ended in agony when he injured his knee in training - an anterior cruciate ligament problem.

He managed to shave a month off his recovery time when he made a surprise comeback against Tottenham on Boxing Day - his first for eight months.

He then re-injured his knee away at Manchester City before making a swift comeback.

After a couple of sub appearances, he came on against Blackburn in the unusual left-back role before keeping his place in that position against Manchester City in the FA Cup.

Despite the change in role, he is expected to be a vital cog in the claret and blue midfield wheel for years to come.

Delph's quality initially came to the fore in the 2008-09 season with Leeds where his form was recognised with a string of awards. Not only was the England under-21 international named in the PFA League One Team of the Year, he won the FourFourTwo Young Player of the Year as well as a hat-trick of gongs at the end of season awards.

Delph's debut for Leeds came as a substitute against Derby County on the last day of the 2006-07 campaign.

http://tinyurl.com/5uanlgb

I'm delighted he has signed a new contract. He can be a very good player for us. I think after a run of games and training with the lads awhile longer he will be a key member of our squad in years to come.

Â