Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

how about this for starters

Tim Sherwood reveals striker Christian Benteke could leave Aston Villa with release clause standing at £32.5million
  • Christian Benteke has a release clause believed to stand at £32.5million
  • Tim Sherwood says it could be impossible for Aston Villa to keep him 
  • The Villa boss believes Benteke should hold out for a move to Real Madrid 

By LAURIE WHITWELL FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 28 May 2015 UPDATED: 09:48, 29 May 2015

Tim Sherwood has admitted he is powerless to stop Christian Benteke leaving Aston Villa this summer after revealing the Belgium striker has a release clause in his contract.

Liverpool are readying a bid for Benteke, who has scored 12 goals in 14 games since Sherwood’s arrival, and Sportsmail understands £32.5million would trigger the clause.

Saturday’s FA Cup final against Arsenal at Wembley could well prove Benteke’s last in a Villa shirt with much interest generated by his return to form.

Tim Sherwood (left) says Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke has a release clause in his contract at the club

Villa striker and Belgium international Benteke (left) is understood to have a release clause of £32.5million

If the fee in Benteke's deal was activated, it would leave Sherwood powerless to keep him at Villa Park

+7

Benteke (left) has been strongly linked with Liverpool but Sherwood believes he should stay with Villa

Sherwood believes Benteke should stay given Euro 2016 is only a year away and moving clubs might put his international place in jeopardy. He also thinks the 24-year-old could hold out for Real Madrid. 

But the Villa manager admitted the decision is out of his hands if the release fee is met.

‘There’s a buy-out clause in his contract so it will be impossible for us to stop him if he wants to go,’ admitted Sherwood. ‘Someone’s got to meet that buy-out clause and if they don’t it won’t be considered because we don’t want to lose him. ‘Everyone has one. Most players would have it when they sign new contracts.

‘He’s made no indication that he wants to leave. I’ve not had a conversation with him. I don’t think he should be moving clubs before a European Championships.

RELATED ARTICLES
  •  

‘It’s a tournament Belgium will be one of the favourites to win. Playing for Aston Villa hasn’t hindered him being the first choice at Belgium, up to now.

‘If he ends up scoring 20 or 30 goals next season, goes into the Championships and has a great tournament, then he is probably playing for Real Madrid.’

Sportsmail understands Villa were made aware of Liverpool’s impending offer at the start of this week and Benteke is interested in moving to Anfield.

European football is assured for Brendan Rodgers’s side, a huge draw, and a significant improvement of Benteke’s current £50,000 per week wage packet is certain.

Villa could earn their own Europa League qualification by beating Arsenal, but the chances of keeping Benteke appear in the balance.

+7

Benteke's (centre) form has been crucial in Villa retaining their status as a Premier League club

+7

Benteke (second left) could make his last appearance for Villa in the FA Cup final on Saturday against Arsenal

+7

Sherwood believes that Benteke (left) could see his international chances restricted if he departs Villa

herwood has told his centre-forward that no other team will be set up to cater to his attributes like Villa. 

‘All he’s got to do is look at history to see what has happened to players who have left clubs thinking they’re going to pastures new, bigger and better, and they don’t actually play, so they end up looking for a new home,’ said Sherwood.

‘I think we cross more balls into the box than any club in the league and I think Christian will tell you he feeds off crosses. There’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball.’ 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3101475/Tim-Sherwood-reveals-Aston-Villa-helpless-stop-Christian-Benteke-leaving-release-clause-contract.html

Edited by Demitri_C

Jason Burt:

Manchester City also remain strongly interested in the Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph, who would appear to be an alternative target to Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere. The England international has a release clause in the new contract he signed with Villa in January but it is understood that claims that it is as low as £10 million are wide of the mark. The figure is believed to be significantly higher.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/11703664/.html

How can clubs approach him?

Put the feelers out to his agent to see if he's interested and then start discussions with the club. I imagine the Man. United approach came during Moyes's year as they had Cleverley as a regular back then....

Jason Burt:

Manchester City also remain strongly interested in the Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph, who would appear to be an alternative target to Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere. The England international has a release clause in the new contract he signed with Villa in January but it is understood that claims that it is as low as £10 million are wide of the mark. The figure is believed to be significantly higher.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/11703664/.html

Bizarre because this is in the same paper.

Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph could end up joining Manchester City... for just £8m

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11703751/Aston-Villa-midfielder-Fabian-Delph-on-brink-of-joining-Manchester-City...-for-just-8m.html

Edited by Mr_Dogg

I suspect as he is still under contract at Villa he will of course say he will stay in public domain if he had to. Once the interest results in a formal bid I suspect things will be different. My other concern is not so much Man City but the other clubs involved in a European competition. £8m is a bargain.

Â