Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Some of the fans on here are pathetic. The fact is we paid a high risk fee for Delph when he was a teenager. We kept faith in throughout his injuries and now that he has had 1 good season he wants out asap. How anyone can blame the club is beyond me. He was offered a new deal worth big bucks and turned it down as he thinks he is now bigger than the club. In my mind this is the ultimate betrayal from him and I've lost all respect for him. Personally don't want to see him wearing the club shirt again. Unloyal, greedy and thinks he id beyond avfc. Get rid.

Come on, that is sheer heart over head rhetoric lacking any sort of objectivity. No player has a moral obligation to see out his best years at a club that are completely lacking in ambition other perennial survival. He clearly is "bigger than the club" in the sense that he is now am international and can play for sides higher up the food chain.

Edited by Isa

Expecting him to leave and if he does it just adds to the Randy Lerner mess ups.

Unexpectedly pathetic.

Sit him in the reserves. No first team football between now and the middle of August will certainly hurt his England chances. After all this club has done for him, the last thing I want is to see this joke in a Villa and England shirt again.

What have we done for him? Paid him while he was injured? Every club would do that. It was us and man city after him so let's not pretend we gave him his only chance. Delph was going places without our help. And now he has the chance to move on to better things. Why wouldn't he? Why would he waste his best years helping this owner and this manager try and scrape survival each year.

No one should be shocked by it anymore this is the modern day game it happens everywhere people move on, people want more money and better careers its just life the problem is we are the silly bastards who will lose the last of very few good players we have and not replace them. Villa is not an attractive club at all right now and hasn't been for a long time but so many faces have left over the years i just just tend not to get too attatched to the players anymore.

Even if we were in top 6 he would still leave it would just be a bigger club trying to sign him.

He's 25 this year and has already had various injury problems including one of a serious nature. Maybe he's realised that this it's a bloody short career and it could be over in the blink of an eye.

Him wanting to go somewhere else, whilst his stock is high, so that he can earn more money and possibly play for a more high profile club is of no surprise.

• Like 1

Errrrr......

Delph has far from proved anything yet. We've seen a few cameos, that's it. He's never bossed the midfield and it's not as though Mourinho is salivating over the prospect of signing him.

He has some talent but he is not that special.

Tin hat ready...

"During the pre-season tour of America he told Villa supporters he owed the club for their unwavering loyalty during his injuries. However, three successive relegation battles – with a possible fourth this season – and his elevation to the England squad have convinced him that he will have to take the difficult decision of leaving Villa Park to advance his career". 

If he wanted to repay the club he could offer to sign a contract for an extra year which allowed him to talk to any club that offered say £10m so we would get something for him rather than nothing and a relegation clause. 

If we wanted to keep him we should have offered him a deal last season when he may well have signed one or try offer him a contract such as the one above now with a signing on fee that makes it worth him looking at £50k a week when he can no doubt get much more elsewhere.

From his point of view if we made such an offer playing first team football with us might help his England prospects more than spending a lot of his time on a bench elsewhere (after all he made the England break through with us). But I guess that is a risk he along with others in the past is prepared to take when it is balanced against a better looking bank balance and signing for a club that might win something when he is part of their squad.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Errrrr......

Delph has far from proved anything yet. We've seen a few cameos, that's it. He's never bossed the midfield and it's not as though Mourinho is salivating over the prospect of signing him.

Tin hat ready...

I am personally not that bothered either. I just wanted an over inflated fee as hes English to help rebuild our squad. Yet he may go on a free.

• Like 2

Which top side would he play regularly at anyway? I read spurs want him. Maybe there. Maybe Liverpool but not many other clubs. Maybe offer Delph for Dembele in January since he's out of favour there. Be good to keep Benteke happy and he's a great player who we could do with.

• Like 1

Has he said he is leaving? If not, I think it's harsh to criticise the guy. And, even if he says he wants to leave:

1) Why does this surprise any Villa fans? As soon as any of our recent best players have put on an England shirt they've been linked with the "top clubs".

2) Why waste the best years of your career playing for a struggling side year after year, with no signs of a revival in sight?

To be fair, although he's had a decent season and a quarter, I personally think he will look average at best if he plays for any of the top 5 or 6 clubs. We've got one of the worst Villa midfields ever so it doesn't take a lot to look the best of that lot!

Edited by villarocker

Errrrr......

Tin hat ready...

I am personally not that bothered either. I just wanted an over inflated fee as hes English to help rebuild our squad. Yet he may go on a free.

This is where the club - Lambert and Lerner - appear to have failed. They should have realised the importance of Delph and Vlaar last season and extended their contracts. We wouldn't now be concerned about losing two of our prized assets for nothing.

Expecting him to leave and if he does it just adds to the Randy Lerner mess ups.

Unexpectedly pathetic.

Sit him in the reserves. No first team football between now and the middle of August will certainly hurt his England chances. After all this club has done for him, the last thing I want is to see this joke in a Villa and England shirt again.

What have we done for him? Paid him while he was injured? Every club would do that. It was us and man city after him so let's not pretend we gave him his only chance. Delph was going places without our help. And now he has the chance to move on to better things. Why wouldn't he? Why would he waste his best years helping this owner and this manager try and scrape survival each year.

We stuck with him, and gave him a new deal in 2011 despite him being awful is pretty much every appearance. Let's not forget in his 5 years at the club, he's only been good for about 18 months. This club has done far, far more for Delph than the other way around.

We stuck with him? He was hardly heading to the job centre. We gave him a new deal because we wanted to keep him and not lose him for nothing. Again something every club would do and not something he should waste his career over.

It cracks me up when people bang on about loyalty and get really annoyed when players show none of it.

Modern football is shit. Players are only out for themselves in the short career they have. I would be too. Expect absolutely nothing from the game of football and you won't be disappointed. I've thought this way for a long time now.

I'm not surprised Vlaar and Delph want out of Villa. We are a boring dull uninspiring waste of a premier league place. My feeling after hearing this news is complete and utter apathy.

I'm gonna be a dad soon and have other priorities so im ready for my interest in the modern game to plummet even further into insignificance.

**** us and **** football.

Edited by sonic_bouma
  • Like 3

This is more than a simple contract renewal, or a loyalty issue. Anyone that's ever met Delph can tell he has a genuine affection for the club and the fans

The issue is that the club cannot offer a talented player the platform he needs in order keep playing for Aston Villa. This isn't just about Delph leaving, it's just another effect spawned from years old poor stewardship at the Villa.

He has 3 Premier League goals in nearly 80 games, be surprised of he has many more assists. This is a player with moer yellow cards than goals and assists.

He is decent but Tom Cleverley got more goals in his 1 season at Wigan than Delph has in his 6 seasons here

Some of the fans on here are pathetic. The fact is we paid a high risk fee for Delph when he was a teenager. We kept faith in throughout his injuries and now that he has had 1 good season he wants out asap. How anyone can blame the club is beyond me. He was offered a new deal worth big bucks and turned it down as he thinks he is now bigger than the club. In my mind this is the ultimate betrayal from him and I've lost all respect for him. Personally don't want to see him wearing the club shirt again. Unloyal, greedy and thinks he id beyond avfc. Get rid.

Have to agree IF this Telegraph article is true, potentially stabbed the club in the back. 

Â