Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

The point about Luke Moore is this, he was regarded as one of the hottest prospects the country had seen, similar to the levels Owen was hitting at junior levels and if we are honest he may not be a failure in terms of his career but in terms of what could of been, its a massive disappointment.

Yes, I can almost agree with that. Except the comparison to Owen which is a bit rich. He was a key player for Liverpool at 16/17, Luke was not considered to other than a hot prospect at that age.

Not quite. He was 17 when he made his debut and almost 18 by the time he became a regular.

Fine, but when Owen was 17, Luke was 10, so they couldn't have been compared to each other.  ;)

The point about Luke Moore is this, he was regarded as one of the hottest prospects the country had seen, similar to the levels Owen was hitting at junior levels and if we are honest he may not be a failure in terms of his career but in terms of what could of been, its a massive disappointment.

Yes, I can almost agree with that. Except the comparison to Owen which is a bit rich. He was a key player for Liverpool at 16/17, Luke was not considered to other than a hot prospect at that age.

Not quite. He was 17 when he made his debut and almost 18 by the time he became a regular.

Fine, but when Owen was 17, Luke was 10, so they couldn't have been compared to each other.  ;)

No the comparison to Owen was the things they did at schoolboy level for England. Moore was hitting high levels at that age as he was being approached by United and Arsenal at the time.

Remember watching the u21's at VP against an Arsenal side containing Wilshire and the Fonz looked a far better player than young Jack.

That side also contained Clark, Bannan, Herd, Hogg and Forrester.

However sometimes players can make that transition to the first team and others don't and we seem to have more than our fair share of those that don't. I don't particularly know why? Our youth teams seem to be great but very few make it through compared to the likes of Southampton for example. They have Shaw, Lallana, Cork, Chambers and Ward-Prowse in the current team and have also produced Shearer, Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain in earlier years. Our youths seem to burst onto the scene with loads of promise then disappear.

Good post I agree

Well, a player is defined by the team he plays for. Swansea is a PL club and Luke played there and scored in the PL for them. I would call that a good story.

I know about a bit part player at Chelsea called Bertrand. He is third choice at LB, behind a right footed player. Doesn't make him a failure at all.

So by this logic then Tom Cleverley is one of the best midfielders in the PL? He played for title-winning Man United last season after all. Or is Jordan Bowery now several times better than he was 2 years ago just because plays for a Premier League side now?

This logic makes no sense at all. As DDID said, a player is defined by their ability.

So Tom Cleverley is a failure? Really? Jordan Bowery has still neither scored in the PL, nor won anything. Luke has many times, so I am totally in disagreement with the notion that going the way of Luke Moore is a failure.

You missed my point. Cleverley isn't a failure as a footballer overall but going by your logic he's one of the best midfielders in the league purely because he plays for United.

Luke Moore did very little at West Brom and was only ever a squad player at Swansea, genuine question but where is he now btw?

And I was a fan of him here, he started well enough under MON but the dislocated shoulder did for him as when he came back MON didn't seem to rate him anymore.

BTW Fonz is hardly ripping it up in league one, was taken off after 70 minutes for Coventry last night.

think Luke Moore problem at Villa was he got a bad injury during MON 1st season when he was playing well with Gabby behind Angel. By time he got back fit Ashley Young had joined and he couldn't get a start. think that dented his confidence

Does anyone remember the effort Fonz had at the Sty, that cracked the bar. Sometime I think that if that went, it would have been massive for him and would have got fans right behind him.

I remember it clearly, was so unlucky, oh what might have been

Â