Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

He has played under a number of managers at Villa and played for various clubs on loan and never really done anything.

Yet you think he should have got a run of games, not just appearances but starts at Villa?

I just don't think he ever did enough to suggest he deserved that.

According to Wiki he has 18 goals in 123 career appearances, there is a reason he is now in league one.

That is a very good record compared to Bowery. 

Agree Fonz has been handed a raw deal IMHO. Attitude problem maybe ?

I think it has been said a few times, he is a bit shy and this seems to effect him on the pitch.

It is not an attitude, just a character flaw that will prevent him reaching his potential.

Delfouneso probably isn't quite good enough for the Premier League, and in that regard it could be argued that the likes of Bannan and Lichaj weren't either?  But why get rid of them and then replace them with players of the same standard or lower?  People argue that Lambert hasn't had much to spend, but then why buy the likes of Bowery, Helenius, Tonev and Luna when they're no better than the players who you've let go for nowt, or have still been paying while they've been on loan elsewhere?

• Like 2

If he had stayed here and was 5th choice people would be saying why not send him on loan, I would be anyway so I simply don't get this argument. I didn't agree with the Holt signing at all but come on his goal record in the prem and of course the lower league is far superior to what the Fonz has come up with in his career so far.

IMO he should've been loaned out for most of 09/10, he spent that season warming the bench and playing the odd cup game. He missed that year of playing and low and behold when we had a striker shortage the following season under Houllier and had to throw him in he just looked a bit short.

Bowery plays very little though, indeed he actually played reasonably well at Stoke last season imo. Less so in the other game he started. The way people are going on it's like he's started ten straight games.

Why are people so desperate for a striker who's now 23 and should be playing week in week out to be warming our bench every week?

If he had stayed here and was 5th choice people would be saying why not send him on loan, I would be anyway so I simply don't get this argument. I didn't agree with the Holt signing at all but come on his goal record in the prem and of course the lower league is far superior to what the Fonz has come up with in his career so far.

IMO he should've been loaned out for most of 09/10, he spent that season warming the bench and playing the odd cup game. He missed that year of playing and low and behold when we had a striker shortage the following season under Houllier and had to throw him in he just looked a bit short.

I agree with this post apart from the last bit, he scored against Blackpool I think it was and was then subsequently dropped for the next game, it was terrible man management from gh

I would have to concur with above in that why spent money on two players (Bowery and Holt) when we could have kept Fonzy as our back up striker who is no worse than the other two.

Yes, he wouldn't have done any worse than J Bowz.

He would. He's got the ability but not the hunger. Thing is, this guy has loads of chances to shine but he never has. If he can't do it at blackpool in the championship then he ain't gonna do it here. Another Luke/Stefan moore I'm afraid.

Luke Moore was streets ahead of gabby in terms of natural ability...where are they now??

I would have to concur with above in that why spent money on two players (Bowery and Holt) when we could have kept Fonzy as our back up striker who is no worse than the other two.

But Fonz is on £20k per week which is a lot for a back-up striker that will barely get a look-in.

Just checked SGC, the next game in that season was Man. United. Gabby played 75 minutes and was outstanding as we went 2 up but couldn't last the whole game as he'd just come back from injury. Fonz came on and looked a little boy lost as we inevitably threw the lead away.

he’s missing the 1% that means you either make it or don’t make it at the highest level. I can’t explain why, its just not going to happen for him.

All I can feel is sadness that he won’t achieve anything with Villa. Sad for him. Sad for the club. But thats football.

Exactly.

Delfouneso probably isn't quite good enough for the Premier League, and in that regard it could be argued that the likes of Bannan and Lichaj weren't either? But why get rid of them and then replace them with players of the same standard or lower? People argue that Lambert hasn't had much to spend, but then why buy the likes of Bowery, Helenius, Tonev and Luna when they're no better than the players who you've let go for nowt, or have still been paying while they've been on loan elsewhere?

I think the plan was to buy cheap players who COULD be/get better. The players that you mentioned above, cost the same combined as it would to buy Ryan Bertrand. Obviously it hasn't worked out for the left-back position, and hopefully we'll buy Bertrand, but Lambert also bought Westwood, Lowton and Bacuna for small fees, so it's not always wasted money.

I'd prefer us to take a cheap punt on a player who could be good (like Bacuna), than keep players here who we have seen enough of to know that they're not Prem quality (Fonz, Lichaj & Bannan). Every time.

Â