Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

Just didn't seem to have the workrate to get the best out of himself. Elite junior, but got by on talent, and when he made the step up and all of a sudden everyone else was just as talented but worked 5 times as hard, he couldn't compete.

Shame for him. He'll probably already be looking back wondering what might have been

he was highly rated by a lot of people at villa park but it was absolutely ridiculous to give him that 4 year 20k a week contract.

That's modern football sadly. If we didn't offer it to him he would have walked and another club would have paid it. He won't be the last player to waste his talent because he got too much too soon.

I saw him years ago playing a reserve game at Fulham (well, at Motspur Park to be precise) on a wet and windy Tuesday night. He took a slight knock in the first half and spent the rest of the match begging to be subbed. It was clear that all the staff knew he was putting it on so they refused to sub him off. He basically stopped working and kept griping all through the rest of the match. 

I think it was around that time that KMac said that he had all the talent in the world but that Andi was more likely to make it because even though he was much less talented, he was prepared to put in the effort. Looks like Nathan only has himself to blame.

(A similar version of the above might well be found much earlier in this thread)

• Like 3

I saw him years ago playing a reserve game at Fulham (well, at Motspur Park to be precise) on a wet and windy Tuesday night. He took a slight knock in the first half and spent the rest of the match begging to be subbed. It was clear that all the staff knew he was putting it on so they refused to sub him off. He basically stopped working and kept griping all through the rest of the match. 

I think it was around that time that KMac said that he had all the talent in the world but that Andi was more likely to make it because even though he was much less talented, he was prepared to put in the effort. Looks like Nathan only has himself to blame.

(A similar version of the above might well be found much earlier in this thread)

yes spot on

I was going to mention when McDonald had his caretaker stint he was putting Weimann (who was unknown then) on the bench ahead of the Fonz and Mac had managed him for years at youth level so yes that should've been a warning.

• 1 month later...

The arrival of record signing Darren Bent in January 2011 pushed Delfouneso further down the Villa pecking order, and a loan move to Championship club Burnley was arranged in March.

The Villa academy graduate spent two months at Turf Moor and began in spectacular fashion with a goal five minutes into his debut. Despite the excellent start, the striker failed to score in the remaining 10 games as he went on a barren run of no goals in 650 minutes of football, per Transfermarkt.

In all competitions, just three goals had been scored in 28 appearances.

Despite this, Delfouneso put pen to paper on a new three-year deal at Villa Park and featured for new manager Alex McLeish during pre-season. Like his previous incumbents, the Scot liked the look of the young striker.

That contract killed his career. Set him up for life though.

That contract killed his career. Set him up for life though.

I'd say poor old Nathan will end up mini cabbing like one Stefan Moore. He doesn't strike me as the type of lad that would invest his money wisely. More the type that would blow it all and go bankrupt.

Just never thought he was any good.

#newdrogba

Poor man's Gabby and today that is saying something.

In the end, I think that what he lacked most was aggression. You have to be a bit of a bastard to succeed in the game, you have to have that bit of fight and nastiness. Nathan was too shy and too 'nice' unfortunately, he lacked that bit of punch.

I always thought he was absolutely rubbish. For a striker his finishing is appalling. Never understood all the comments about his talent but wasted by his attitude. He's done nothing at senior level to suggest he has any talent whatsoever.

• Like 1

I always thought he was absolutely rubbish. For a striker his finishing is appalling. Never understood all the comments about his talent but wasted by his attitude. He's done nothing at senior level to suggest he has any talent whatsoever.

I completely agree. In the main I've always thought the stuff about attitude (about him and any other young prospect that doesn't quite make it) is just a convenient get out when people have got it wrong about a player and got a little over excited about their prospects. 

• 5 years later...
Â