Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Without wishing to look like a whiskey snob wannabe ..... I don't think there is a true taste quality distinction between single and blend. As in, some blends can be better than some malts, for instance Ballantines is a blend that's a lot better than a lot of malts. 

So whether something gets a touch of water, or ice, or cherry coke shouldn't really depend on whether it says blend on the bottle.

But then again I think Lagavulin is horrible, almost undrinkable, so what do I know!

There you go, I said it.

Bushmills is nicer than alot of single malts in fairness. 

Your everday Scottish hobo fodder like Bells, Teachers etc has to be mixed though IMO .

• Like 1

Ginger beer and ginger ale are not the same thing. Hard to describe the difference, but if you pour out a glass of (say) Schweppes ginger beer and a glass of Canada Dry ginger ale, you'll see (and taste) it. Canada Dry is the stuff you need as a mixer.

That said, I'm intrigued by the idea of Crabbies' alcoholic ginger beer with whisky...

Without wishing to look like a whiskey snob wannabe ..... I don't think there is a true taste quality distinction between single and blend. As in, some blends can be better than some malts, for instance Ballantines is a blend that's a lot better than a lot of malts. 

So whether something gets a touch of water, or ice, or cherry coke shouldn't really depend on whether it says blend on the bottle.

But then again I think Lagavulin is horrible, almost undrinkable, so what do I know!

There you go, I said it.

Famously, some Islay whiskies were not banned during American prohibition because they were considered undrinkable and were sold as medicine.

Most notably, Laphroaig. :)

I question whether a man (or woman) ever needs to look beyond Glenmorangie for his (or her) single malt needs.

Best selling single malt in Scotland; probably because it tastes like Irn-Bru. :)  

Couldn't imagine washing down a roll and sliced sausage with a bottle of Glenmorangie though!

discovering a new way to enjoy whiskey. Housemate has introduced me to trying ginger beer with my scotch. As a generally neat drinker by habit, I was sceptical - exceptions only made for sours with the bourbon type.

I have been enjoying a glorious drink this evening now. Makes the whiskey go a little further too. Of course it was only after I'd revealed I was enjoying it that the **** let's me know it was Nixon's favourite drink. Curses.

I don't know if ginger beer is different to ginger ale ( I am guessing not at all) but whiskey and ginger ale is great . I can't drink blended malts without it yet I wouldn't dare add it to single malts .
I want to like straight whiskey. But I don't. Its horrible.

But whiskey and ginger is absolutely beautiful

Ginger beer and ginger ale are not the same thing. Hard to describe the difference, but if you pour out a glass of (say) Schweppes ginger beer and a glass of Canada Dry ginger ale, you'll see (and taste) it. Canada Dry is the stuff you need as a mixer.

That said, I'm intrigued by the idea of Crabbies' alcoholic ginger beer with whisky...

Ah I see, maybe I'll try some of this Canada Dry then.

I had some Jamaican Ginger Beer with Johnny Walker Red and that was lovely. Oh look an excuse to compare more mixers and drink more whiskey. That definitely cheers me up.

Ah I see, maybe I'll try some of this Canada Dry then.

I had some Jamaican Ginger Beer with Johnny Walker Red and that was lovely. Oh look an excuse to compare more mixers and drink more whiskey. That definitely cheers me up.

The alternative "whisky mac" is to mix scotch with Stones' ginger wine. A great winter warmer, and packs a punch.
  • Like 1

Â