Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Sainsbury's wins this year's Christmas TV advert IMO.

http://youtu.be/NWF2JBb1bvM

I'm not sure how I feel about using the subject matter it does, as a means to sell. Makes me feel a bit queasy truth be told. 

Dude come on, queasy? It's beautiful.

If I watched, and at the end of it, it didn't flash up "Buy shit from Sainsbury's", then I'd probably agree.

Did it? I missed that bit. I do know that the profits from the £1 bar of chocolate featured are going to the RBL.

Sainsbury's advert is cringe inducing, without mentioning the audacity of their intentions to try and exploit people's emotions like that.

Sainsbury's won't have made the ad themselves! I'm not sure how much of a remit they will have given, but ultimately the ad agency "create".

Say you watch a film and it makes you react in a certain way, say it's set during WW1. Now the writer, the director, the producer, the cast, the INDIVIDUAL ARTIST may be creating this thing to be enjoyed. They simply want you to feel. Maybe not, maybe they're just in it for the cash, but it's unfair to assume that.

Don't be so cynical yourselves, it will wear you out.

Dude come on, queasy? It's beautiful.

If I watched, and at the end of it, it didn't flash up "Buy shit from Sainsbury's", then I'd probably agree.

Did it? I missed that bit. I do know that the profits from the £1 bar of chocolate featured are going to the RBL.

Was an exaggeration obviously, but the fact still remains that Sainsbury's get some great publicity out of it. As such it doesn't sit right with me. I support the RBL, and it's good that they're going to make some money out of it, but it would have been much better for me if they just flashed up the RBL logo, and kept the supermarket out of it.   

Sainsbury's advert is cringe inducing, without mentioning the audacity of their intentions to try and exploit people's emotions like that.

Sainsbury's won't have made the ad themselves! I'm not sure how much of a remit they will have given, but ultimately the ad agency "create".

Yes but it's still made on behalf of Sainsburys in order to get people to part with their cash and obviously the idea would have been pitched to them before they gave the go ahead. Even taking away the intention of advert I don't think it's very good anyway the way it's acted out is pretty patronising to the viewer in my opinion.

Â