Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

It's Christmas blue bin day today, it should be on Monday. I missed it last year so it's been in my Calendar for close to a year. Complete joy seeing panicked men dashing out with their bins this morning as they are lesser men than me. Green bin on Christmas Eve, I will be putting a chair out to observe. 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It's Christmas blue bin day today, it should be on Monday. I missed it last year so it's been in my Calendar for close to a year. Complete joy seeing panicked men dashing out with their bins this morning as they are lesser men than me. Green bin on Christmas Eve, I will be putting a chair out to observe. 

What goes in the blue bin? I'm guessing glass? We don't have that service here. Garbage in black, plastic/paper/metal in green, garden waste in brown, but glass we have to take to a bottle bank ourselves. 

Edited by mjmooney

Just now, mjmooney said:

What goes in the blue bin? I'm guessing glass? We don't have that service here. Garbage in black, plastic/paper/metal in green, garden waste in brown, but glass we have to take to a bottle bank ourselves. 

Blue is all recyclables apart from card. Tins, glass, plastic etc. Brown is garden waste and green is general waste. Card goes in a large durable blue bag.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Blue is all recyclables apart from card. Tins, glass, plastic etc. Brown is garden waste and green is general waste. Card goes in a large durable blue bag.

As we used to say in I.T., that's the nice thing about standards - there are so many to choose from. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We have rubbish in black, plastic/paper/metal in brown, garden waste in green but we have a black box for glass.

Cardboard into a bag sounds like a nightmare scenario when the wind blows.  In fact I'm pretty sure when Brum first started recycling they had a bag for cardboard and they stopped it toot sweet for that very reason. 

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We have rubbish in black, plastic/paper/metal in brown, garden waste in green but we have a black box for glass.

Cardboard into a bag sounds like a nightmare scenario when the wind blows.  In fact I'm pretty sure when Brum first started recycling they had a bag for cardboard and they stopped it toot sweet for that very reason. 

Before they introduced it everyone thought one gust and the streets would be strewn with card but in actuality it works. The bag is usually full to the point of bursting. 

I will wait.

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah those were the days, Saturday afternoons watching the pages change to get the up to date scores

I still use teletext a lot.Maybe I am a bit old school but to see football results and when goals are scored with other games on one page is great.

I used to love it when we were in the championship and if you wanted to look at the table they weren’t able to fit all teams onto 2 pages.
So they had 10 teams on the first page and next 10 on the second page and on the 3rd page had the remaining 4 teams.So you would be looking at the second page thinking you were in danger of relegation without realising there was another 4 teams to consider.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Having the ability to know all the train information when I’m picking someone up from the station. This is what the staff see, thanks a very good friend I have it on my phone. Leaves out all the guesswork

DCEF9317-34B2-4083-8712-BAF182BE8649.png

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

giphy.gif

Live real time train information for any station. Not the info they put on the electronic displays around the station but they actual info the staff have at their fingertips

Also useful when the train manager is lying to you about expected arrival times when you're on a train

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s also very handy at Paddington, it tells you what platform your train is at 2 minutes before the announcement.

Yes, very good for stuff like that because all the station boards are changed by humans who have to read that first to do it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Having the ability to know all the train information when I’m picking someone up from the station. This is what the staff see, thanks a very good friend I have it on my phone. Leaves out all the guesswork

DCEF9317-34B2-4083-8712-BAF182BE8649.png

Anyone can get onto that without a password, just tried.

Â