Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Only been back at work a couple of days and booked another fortnight off (in November). Looking forward to it already!

Will cover some more of the UK I think. Where to go this time....

Hull, that’ll get rid of the travel bug forever

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

goes from boob to bottle and just sits there smiling

Yeah, so less about you, what does the carpet crawler do?

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Big one (5 in January) is turning into a really nice kid...

Great post, that will ring bells with all the parents, and have the childless rolling their eyes and skipping to the next post.  :)

The nice thing about getting to be a grandparent is that you experience it all over again - everything you say about your lads applies to my granddaughters (four and nine months, with a third on the way). It's great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of many things I could improve on being a parent is taking more interest in the bedtime stories and playing with their toys with them. I’m not going to lie I struggle for patience with it. It seems you enjoy it as much as your kids do @lapal_fan so credit to you there mate . 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One of many things I could improve on being a parent is taking more interest in the bedtime stories 

Absolutely the best bit. There are poems that I know so well from reading them to my kids and now grandchildren that I can recite them off by heart. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely the best bit. There are poems that I know so well from reading them to my kids and now grandchildren that I can recite them off by heart. 

I never liked reading out to the class in school, so it’s probably carried on. That doesn’t mean i am comparing my old class to my kids. It’s just something I’ve never had enjoyment doing. My wife on the other hand is good at it, and puts on all the different voices needed to identify characters in the book and show emotions. 

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I never liked reading out to the class in school, so it’s probably carried on. That doesn’t mean i am comparing my old class to my kids. It’s just something I’ve never had enjoyment doing. My wife on the other hand is good at it, and puts on all the different voices needed to identify characters in the book and show emotions. 

Oh yeah, that's the trick. The fun I had with all the voices reading Lord of the Rings (took us a year of bedtimes). This was before the films came out, btw. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You’ve either got it or you ain’t . 

I dunno, that time between you and your kid when the door is closed and the little nightlight is on is magical. You can be anyone you want to be. 

Your kid isn't thinking "my Dad is doing Noddy in a French accent, what a clearing in the woods" they're probably loving it. It's one of my favourite parts of the day. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I dunno, that time between you and your kid when the door is closed and the little nightlight is on is magical. You can be anyone you want to be. 

Your kid isn't thinking "my Dad is doing Noddy in a French accent, what a clearing in the woods" they're probably loving it. It's one of my favourite parts of the day. 

I’m not denying it isn’t. That’s why I said a few posts back that I wish I was better at that kind of thing and it’s something I should improve on. They are only young once. 

• Like 1

When my daughter was young she really loved a comic, an x men one and she used to love that to be read to her at night, that and the owl sho was afraid of the dark, anyway, the x men comic she loved because I changed the story completely and made it about a workers uprising. Makes me smile thinking about how much she used to giggle at me reading that comic.

• Haha 1

Opened a readly account today thanks to @mjmooney

Really happy with it. It'll save me loads. Music Mags (We Love Vinyl, Uncut, Mojo) I rarely play the CDs on the shop versions these days plus We Love Vinyl has gone subscription only which I was about to do and now get access to all three for about a quid more plus all those mags that I occasionally see and think, I'd like to read that then can't justify the expense

Can't see me ever buying an actual magazine ever again except Private Eye as that isn't on here.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Really happy with it. It'll save me loads. Music Mags (We Love Vinyl, Uncut, Mojo) I rarely play the CDs on the shop versions these days plus We Love Vinyl has gone subscription only which I was about to do and now get access to all three for about a quid more plus all those mags that I occasionally see and think, I'd like to read that then can't justify the expense

Can't see me ever buying an actual magazine ever again except Private Eye as that isn't on here.

Will sign up for it before I go on my next break. 

How is the experience of reading it on a tablet? Does it take anything away from it?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Will sign up for it before I go on my next break. 

How is the experience of reading it on a tablet? Does it take anything away from it?

Prefer it so far if I'm honest, Tablet is just about the right size (iPad), my only issue will be reading in the bath (which I do quite a bit), I guess I'll have to read a book instead

On the iPad a double tap zooms in if needed, most of the time it isn't

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't normally bother with FourFourTwo, but this month's has a feature about Villa's Tommy Ball, the only British league footballer to have been murdered (in 1923). A story I was previously unaware of. 

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

I don't normally bother with FourFourTwo, but this month's has a feature about Villa's Tommy Ball, the only British league footballer to have been murdered (in 1923). A story I was previously unaware of. 

Well yes, there are loads of magazines that I think, I'd like to read that but have no desire to read anything else and dismiss it as a waste of money. Or another example is, I'll often buy a Hi-Fi magazine if I'm thinking of upgrading my kit etc but wouldn't normally bother, same for many of those device specific magazines. I never buy photography mags any more because I'm currently cameraless so the expense isn't justifiable, now, I can read away...

Â