Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 21/08/2018 at 19:42, Xela said:

The one in the Matrix was the 8110 but the consumer version wasn't spring loaded (it was adapted for the film). Nokia did then launch the 7110 which was spring loaded and many people assume this was the one in the Matrix, but it wasn't (yes, I was a phone nerd back in the day):D

I had both of those phones.  I was mugged at gunpoint in Manchester for the 7110, too.

Thankfully, I didn't try to see if it would enable me to dodge bullets like Neo and just handed it over.

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I had both of those phones.  I was mugged at gunpoint in Manchester for the 7110, too.

Thankfully, I didn't try to see if it would enable me to dodge bullets like Neo and just handed it over.

Scary times!

Can't imagine being in a situation like that? 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Scary times!

Can't imagine being in a situation like that? 

I was on a call at the time - it was around lunchtime on a Saturday, in Moss Side where I'd been staying - and my pal had just said "You want to be careful using that phone round there".

Next thing four teenagers (two male, two female) on two bikes came screeching up to me and demanded the phone. I said No at first, but then the older lad threatened to shoot me and reached inside his jacket.

I had the presence of mind to turn my phone off before handing it over, so it was at least locked for my private data.  They took the phone and fled.

I hailed a black cab and asked him to take me to the nearest police station.  I told the driver what had happened, but he still charged me the full fare!

At the station I had to give a statement and look through the book of potential suspects.  They asked me if I thought the kids had really got a gun and I said "Nah, but I didn't want to take the risk."  He told me that two other students had been robbed in the last week by suspects matching the description and scenario I'd given, but the older lad actually pulled the gun on them so they could see it.  He said it was more than likely he'd got a gun but was keeping it more under wraps on account of being a Saturday lunchtime.

Crazy days.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm moving into my new apartment tomorrow. Much more charming place than the shoebox I've been in. Original wood floors from the 1850's, gas stove, incredible sunlight, old timey claw foot tub, below market rent. I'll be trading off street parking and on site laundry, but I'm pleased. better neighborhood too, with a view of Portland Harbor. 

Nice!

I'm really looking forward to the North American Lions weekend coming up the 13th. Got my yellow 92/93 Villa 3rd shirt ready 

With the new business I'm guessing you won't be able to make it down Maqroll?

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Nice!

I'm really looking forward to the North American Lions weekend coming up the 13th. Got my yellow 92/93 Villa 3rd shirt ready 

With the new business I'm guessing you won't be able to make it down Maqroll?

say hello to harry and elvis from the kiddy lions ;) 

• Like 1

The kitchen designer who covers North Wales jacked in her job last night so I have been sent up to Betws Y Coed until Friday .

2 nights in a hotel in Snowdonia doesn't sound amazing, but it might just be my favourite place on earth. 

Plus I don't have to work in Luton this week now .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I handed my notice in this morning.  After signing the contract with new company.

Feels like a weight has been lifted, although obviously there is the whole anxiety about whether I'll be good enough for the new job! 

Life is just one big stress innit?  

Are you the kitchen designer for North Wales ?

42 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I handed my notice in this morning.  After signing the contract with new company.

Feels like a weight has been lifted, although obviously there is the whole anxiety about whether I'll be good enough for the new job! 

Life is just one big stress innit?  

Don't worry.  Adults are just kids trying to get to the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

The kitchen designer who covers North Wales jacked in her job last night so I have been sent up to Betws Y Coed until Friday .

2 nights in a hotel in Snowdonia doesn't sound amazing, but it might just be my favourite place on earth.

It is a very pretty little town. Waterfalls, bridges, lakes, rivers, old stone bulidings. Nothing to see but scenery and all that but lovely. Could never see myself living there though as I never took well to talking through my nose :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

It is a very pretty little town. Waterfalls, bridges, lakes, rivers, old stone bulidings. Nothing to see but scenery and all that but lovely. Could never see myself living there though as I never took well to talking through my nose :ph34r:

I have been there loads of times .

I'm interested to see what the social housing's like tomorrow morning .?

• Like 1

Â