Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The OH insists that it's not. Or at least it isn't on Aldi's side.

It is very strange, considering Aldi have been ripping off M&S (and everyone else) for years. And also because every other supermarket has a caterpillar cake too. 

My suspicion is it is either some weird marketing stunt from the M&S side 

or, more likely imo, they're trying to "raise awareness" or make a point in general about budget supermarkets ripping off bigger brands. Aldi are the king of that strategy so maybe they're trying to get some sort of momentum going to stop them doing it.

But as @bickster said, they haven't got a leg to stand on. Aldi are good at this because they have a good legal team that checks everything to make sure it's legal. I'm sure M&S would know this so I find the entire thing very strange.

If it wasn't for the OH's insistence, I'd conclude the same as you, that it was all a big stunt. 

McCann have been tossing themselves off over it regardless.

On 16/04/2021 at 20:47, Genie said:

It could be a clever stunt by the marketing department. I bet sales of both cakes will shoot up now

Whether this was the intention or not; and I suspect it might have been; I would guarantee that's definitely the case. Both of them laughing their tits off I suspect. I wonder is there a way of getting at those numbers.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Whether this was the intention or not; and I suspect it might have been; I would guarantee that's definitely the case. Both of them laughing their tits off I suspect. I wonder is there a way of getting at those numbers.

See also aldi + brew dog 

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Look how normal they look.

They could be us, we could be them.

Not a co-ordinated piece of endorsed clothing from an official sponsor in sight.

No back screen listing our official pet insurance partner or gambling overlords.

spacer.png

I hope that no one on VT is sporting a tash as dodgy as some of those! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Funnily enough, on the one occasion I managed to have a beer with an ex-Villa player, it was Des Bremner - and he made that very point himself. He thought they were (and remain) the last generation of top-flight players who were the same as the fans. He was quite disdainful of the current crop living the billionaire lifestyle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Funnily enough, on the one occasion I managed to have a beer with an ex-Villa player, it was Des Bremner - and he made that very point himself. He thought they were (and remain) the last generation of top-flight players who were the same as the fans. He was quite disdainful of the current crop living the billionaire lifestyle. 

Due to tenuous footballing links, I get to say hello to Jimmy Rimmer about once a year (not this years obvs) and he is also of the same opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I hope that no one on VT is sporting a tash as dodgy as some of those! 

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This was me (round about the same era as the Villa team pic). 

Badminton2.jpg

Sorry,. Is there a tash in that photo? 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Exactly. That's why I gave up on the idea. 

220px-AttemptedMustachealbumcover.jpg

Misunderstanding, I was looking at the legs (not yours) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Not a co-ordinated piece of endorsed clothing from an official sponsor in sight.

No back screen listing our official pet insurance partner or gambling overlords.

spacer.png

Fantastic

Makes me wonder if i'll experience Villa winning the league. I was a toddler when this happened. if i'm being honest, I can't see it ever happening again. Not with the current power/money dynamic in football. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Got up this morning and booked myself a slot at the local pool for a swim. Haven’t swam since last March but managed 50 lengths in 45 mins.

Got home, drank a banana and peanut butter smoothie before a 7 mile walk onto the moors and back via a riverside path.

quick bacon sandwich and now, lay out knackered on the sofa watching the snooker. 

pretty much, a great day so far! 

DC573E6C-B254-4014-AB0D-EFB328E96D08.jpeg

Sounds effing horendous apart from the bacon sarnie if you ask me

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/04/2021 at 10:03, BOF said:

Yep I can tell you that Aldi are absolutely loving it. Their social media team have gone in hard on turning it around in their favour.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Their social media team have gone in hard 

carry on teacher GIF

They must not have read the things that piss you off thread. 

• Haha 2

Â