Eric Lichaj

Rob182

Think he just about deserves a thread of his own. Has improved immensely since joining the club and I hope he's given a shot this season to cement a place. I was surprised McLeish only gave him a few starts last season, well not surprised as such, more disappointed.

He is, at the very least, solid. I like him.

(Sorry to Bicks!)

In fairness to TSM, he was injured for 4 months last season so wasn't available until February.

I like him aswell.

The Spurs game last season, he had Aaron Lennon in his pocket and I remember he had a good game against Bale the previous year so his positioning is good and he dosen't struggle against pace.

I agree with Bickster on this one. Make sure a defender can do what it says on the tin first. If he can add something to the attack now and again it's a bonus. I think Lichaj falls into this class of player.

I don't rate Hutton, but I don't think Walker 'pulled up trees'.

I agree Baz, defensively he was weak, very weak, he still is too tbh but lots of people seem to prefer full backs that attack to full backs that can defend. Me? I like defenders to defend first of all, if they can attack every now and again, it is a bonus.

Lichaj at RB is defensively better than Walker & Hutton by long margins

I disagree with this, if Walker couldn't defend he wouldn't have been first choice RB for a team that finished fourth. If Lichaj was a better defender then him then he would have started over Hutton who was shocking.

There seems to be a misconception that defenders that are very good coming forward cant defend when it's more of a case of they occasionally get caught out for being too far forward. A fullback will always be able to defend otherwise they are not a full back surely?

• 1 month later...
If Lichaj was a better defender then him then he would have started over Hutton who was shocking.

Hutton started because McLeish bought him. Every man and his dog could see Hutton was piss-poor in pretty much every minute of football, sorry - "football" he played.

Lichaj is a better full-back than Hutton was during his AV tenure (and yes I know that technically should be "has been" rather than "was", but he's as good as gone in my eyes).

Lichaj can't attack whether on the right or the left, he's an excellent backup for both full back spots in the same vein that Tony Hibbert is for Everton, in my opinion.

He can't beat a man and loses the ball when he tries, solid tho

I do disagree on this. While he does struggle attacking as a LB, as somebody mentioned previously he can get forward better from the RB position. Unfortunately fur us, we just have not seen it much for the first team.

Lichaj can't attack whether on the right or the left, he's an excellent backup for both full back spots in the same vein that Tony Hibbert is for Everton, in my opinion.

He can't beat a man and loses the ball when he tries, solid tho

I do disagree on this. While he does struggle attacking as a LB, as somebody mentioned previously he can get forward better from the RB position. Unfortunately fur us, we just have not seen it much for the first team.

I haven't seen him beat a man once in a Villa shirt

I haven't seen him beat a man once in a Villa shirt
Yes, that particular section of tube8 is quite hard to find.

I looked for it on Tube8 but couldn't find it, I couldn't find anything about football on there at all really, apart from John Terry's' account.

Â