Eric Lichaj

Rob182

I've seen nothing in Bennett or lichaj to make me think we were right to get rid of warnock. Both very poor this season, especially against chelsea.

Warnock's attitude was terrible though, and he was a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad. Lambert clearly didn't want him anywhere near the young, determined squad he's building. That and he was **** shit anyway.

I still quite like Lichaj, but think he's far better at right-back. Most of his opportunities these days seem to come on the other side of the pitch, but he doesn't look comfortable there. I don't think he'll ever be our regular first choice either way, but he's a solid player defensively and his throw-ins can add an extra dimension to our play.

For those saying we should release him, that's a little short sighted considering just how thin our squad actually is.

I'd like to think that he'd be offered a new contract.

I can't see his wage demands being so high that he is on the same pay level as the Warnock's or Hutton's of this world.

He is a solid, assertive defender who can play both LB/RB and CB if needed. He has Premier League experience, and seems to gel well with the rest of the team. Why wouldn't you re-sign him (at the very least as a squad player)?

Seeing as Lichaj is a more natural RB, Lowton can play CB, Chris Herd is a bit dodgy at CB, and Bennett needs to show what he can do, I'd say the obvious thing to do against Wigan is play Lichaj and Bennett at FB and Lowton and Clark at CB.

Yep was thinking the same

He played on the right today, trouble is we still played a 5 and we lost Lowtons attacking ability as he was tucked in. We have 3 cb's none of which know when to press the ball and no one carries it out to create the extra player like Wigan did today. This causes us to just be a player short further up the pitch and we wonder why we can't score goals.

What happened today?

Lichaj sends over a cross for Benteke to head a half-chance towards goal.

Bennett gets turned for Boyce's goal, then played Kone onside for the third.

Does a few fancy tricks, despite the fact we are 0-3 down, gets dispossessed. Provides no service for strikers.

What does Lambert do? He subs Lichaj for Albrighton, keeps Bennett on in 442. Absurd. Lichaj would be much better in the 442 rather than the wing back role he was asked to play on his wrong side!

How is it possible for Lambert not to notice all the mistakes Bennett is making.

I'm not claiming Lichaj is awesome but he's the best we got in that position and I'm worried that Lambert is going to persist with Bennett no matter what.

• 4 weeks later...

**** terrible Saturday. Ripped to shreds by Thomas and his positioning is for the main part absolutely woeful.

I was very wrong about his ability. He has barely any. At least there is *something* there with Bennett as raw (and often headless) as he is.

Lichaj? Nothing. Nowhere near good enough for this division.

You know me Richard I'm never normally negative for the sake of it, I'm not posting for effect. He had absolutely no idea how to handle Thomas, a player who himself is not good enough. He got turned far too easily, he got too close. He was in panic mode from the off.

Thomas is "easy" to defend against. Sit deeper, allow him a bust of pace and he'll either run straight into you or run the ball out of play. Importantly he's light as tracing paper, so stand up to him when he runs at you, marshal him. The rest if the league figured this out 2 years ago, hence his unsuccessful loan to Leeds. Lichaj has played against him before too and he got put on his arse too many times then.

Lichaj looked lost. He stopped trying after an hour, you could see in his body language he was beaten. I've seen that too many times recently.

You could say that for many of them, but he stands out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

We still have not won a game in any competition without Eric Lichaj in the team.

We still have not won a game in any competition with Bennett in the team (except when he was injured in the 11th minute of the Sunderland game).

He may not be great but we need a winner in the team.

• 1 month later...

What has happened to Lichaj? Rarely makes the bench anymore. He is much better than Bennett but Lambert always chooses the players he signed. If I had to choose between Bennett and Lichaj at LB, I will always choose Lichaj. Plus Lichaj is versatile; Bennett is not. 

Herd is completely understandable though. Herd was a serious liability every time he played. Lichaj has been strong defensively barring a couple of games. I don't understand why he is being ignored. 

Â