Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If KM is appointed first team coach and Houllier as DOF would that not really mean that KM is in affect the manager (although we would not have one by name) and Houllier would be the DOF who would act as a link between the board and the coaching staff (as did Graham Taylor at Watford with Kenny Jackett as first team coach and Sven for a few months whilst with Notts County)?

If that did happen, I would wonder why we did not appoint KM as coach a month ago and add that we would be looking to appoint a DOF to work with him. I would doubt that at his age and with his health history that Houllier would be hands on with the playing side if he did join us and it would beg the question of whether the search has been for a DOF and not a manager all along? :detect:

If KM is appointed first team coach and Houllier as DOF would that not really mean that KM is in affect the manager (although we would not have one by name) and Houllier would be the DOF who would act as a link between the board and the coaching staff (as did Graham Taylor at Watford with Kenny Jackett as first team coach and Sven for a few months whilst with Notts County)?

If that did happen, I would wonder why we did not appoint KM as coach a month ago and add that we would be looking to appoint a DOF to work with him. I would doubt that at his age and with his health history that Houllier would be hands on with the playing side if he did join us and it would beg the question of whether the search has been for a DOF and not a manager all along? :detect:

Who said Houllier is going to be the DOF?

People have been saying that for a few days, but where did it all start?

He could simply come as the manager.

What's Houllier's signing record like? I seem to remember it as being terrible.

Some not so great signings....Some good signings....Maybe he will not make many bad signings this time, we just don't know until he starts signing people, which he can't do until January anyway so he has plenty of time to show the fans what he can do with the team we already have.

a massive fan base

I'm sorry but outside of Britain we have a very limited fanbase.

Didn't someone mention Aston Villa FC have more supporters clubs, worldwide than Manchester United!

You have got to be having a laugh, right? :shock:

Guys I don't know about you but I live in the Far East and it's hard enough to find a Villa shirt on sale in shops, let alone spot people wearing them.

Utd and Liverpool shirts on the other hand are EVERYWHERE.

Nop I'm not having a laugh..someone posted on VT a couple of weeks ago that we have more official supporters clubs than United...

Obviously less fans of course but then being run like a corner shop empire for 25yrs didn't help!

What's the point in having "more supporters clubs" if there are clearly no people in them? It completely defeats any point you were trying to make. As Legov says, outside of Britain we have a very limited fanbase.

To be honest I don't think our fanbase generally is that good - considering we are the biggest club in the Second city and all the other teams in the Midlands are pretty gash.

If Houllier if appointed - mid table at best - wait and see.

Looking at the odds - Houllier is 3rd favourite - behind KMAC and curbishley - interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we finish mid-table this season. In fact, given the events of the past few weeks I think I'd settle for that. The new manager needs to re-build, shift out some of the dead wood and bring in some new blood who will undoubtedly take time to get up to speed.

Realistically we need to look to next season to hopefully get back to battling for a Europa League or maybe CL place

Just to be straight, Houllier isn't my dream choice for manager, but of the options available I'm pretty happy if its him.

The arguement that if RL was up to the mark he could magically make Moyes or Jol leave their current jobs is a load of crap - if they don't want to move or their clubs don't allow them permission there not much Randy can do.

Every manager signs a bag of duds at some point. Surely some of the players he signs can't be any worse than Davies, Beye or Sidwell.

Actually imo some of them really were

Salif Diao (SP)

Bruno Cheyrou

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Eric Meijer

Gregory Vignal

Igor Biscan

all fit the bill as being worse

Nothing wrong with Houllier?

You mean other than his previously questionable health, the fact he is 63, has been out the game for a couple of years and out of the Premier league even longer and despite some success at Liverpool spent a lot of money on some utter utter shite.

He may well be the best or one of the better options available but to say there is nothing wrong with his selection or should I say possible selection is staggering.

ash your making out as if we are appointing some like iain dowie! he isnt that bad. yes some poor signings before but our manager martion'o'neill signed alot of duds too, ferguson and wenger ahve too. all managers do.

for me the trophies is whats important. he mad a very good liverpool side and out of the options available id take houllier.

Managers usually live or die by their signings.... the other bit of added value is , once you have bought them improve them on the training ground.

If a Manager is good at both i.e Ron Saunders & friends....your usually in for a good time ahead.

Every manager signs a bag of duds at some point. Surely some of the players he signs can't be any worse than Davies, Beye or Sidwell.

Actually imo some of them really were

Salif Diao (SP)

Bruno Cheyrou

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Eric Meijer

Gregory Vignal

Igor Biscan

all fit the bill as being worse

Have to agree there.

Nothing wrong with Houllier?

You mean other than his previously questionable health, the fact he is 63, has been out the game for a couple of years and out of the Premier league even longer and despite some success at Liverpool spent a lot of money on some utter utter shite.

He may well be the best or one of the better options available but to say there is nothing wrong with his selection or should I say possible selection is staggering.

ash your making out as if we are appointing some like iain dowie! he isnt that bad. yes some poor signings before but our manager martion'o'neill signed alot of duds too, ferguson and wenger ahve too. all managers do.

for me the trophies is whats important. he mad a very good liverpool side and out of the options available id take houllier.

....where do you think trophies come from?

usually signing and developing good players or potentially good players.