Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I wouldn't mind Houllier, he did an alrite job at liverpool, and a decent job at lyon after he left (think he won the league every year he was there....admitably they were going through a dominent spell in the league) and how many of the other people that we're seriously being linked with have actually won honours (just Sven and Koeman i think, and koeman seems to have a bad spell for every good one, and Svens not covered himself in glory in recent seasons)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't usually post ITK stuff (bacause I don't usually have any!) but I know someone who was at bodymore heath last Wednesday, and they swear they saw Mark Hughes there.

I've absolutely no reason to doubt him. Not saying he's getting the job or anything, just thought it was very interesting, seeing as he's only just taken over at Fulham.

Sky would have had cameras there all week. If Hugheshad been there they'd have picked it up I'm sure

Mate....I pretty mush said that to the guy who saw him. he completely stood by having seen him. Like I say, I've no reason to doubt him.

You'd think, in this day of mobile phones and cameras, someone would have got a picture :)

My head hurts from all the rumours and speculation and all the same points being made over and over again. I think they must have reached a conclusion by now and hopefully there will be some movement on monday. We have to give whoever it is who comes in at least a week to bed in before the Stoke game surely?

Get Moyes forget the rest....

That's easy to type, but what do you do if Everton won't even entertain the idea of letting him go?

Everyone has a price and Everton are skint. Randy sould flex some muscle like the other sugar daddies do.

That's easy to type, but what do you do if Everton won't even entertain the idea of letting him go?

Everyone has a price and Everton are skint. Randy sould flex some muscle like the other sugar daddies do.

What if Moyes doesn't want to leave?

Then he should firmly dismiss all the speculation. I don't once recall him stating "He will not be leaving Everton for Aston Villa" Surely that question must have been put to him this week when he was made favorite for a day or two ?

Then he should firmly dismiss all the speculation. I don't once recall him stating "He will not be leaving Everton for Aston Villa" Surely that question must have been put to him this week when he was made favorite for a day or two ?

"I am happy at Everton; I have always said that," Moyes told the club's website.

"I am at a really good club and this season we have a really good chance and this is where I will be this season."

http://www.setanta.com/africa/Articles/2010/08/11/Huge-boost-for-Toffees/gnid-74525/

switzerland are at wembley on tuesday so lerner better get his arse to london and interveiw Ottmar Hitzfeld

Once again its just not that easy.

Ever thought that Hitzfeld might be quite happy managing the Swiss?

He said he is staying at Everton when he was asked before the start of the season.

I said i was'nt drinking tonight or eating indian food again....... prawn balti and fosters on the go now therefore people change their mind dude!! :lol:

Randy Lerner would be taking a big gamble naming Gerard Houllier as Aston Villa manager

Aston Villa, it seems, are about to take the plunge by bringing in Gerard Houllier to fill the huge void left by Martin O'Neill's hasty departure. If true, it's an awfully big call by Randy Lerner, Villa's American owner.

By Alan Smith

Published: 4:57PM BST 04 Sep 2010

Out of work for three years with a history of health problems, Houllier's appointment would represent a gamble at a time when Villa's standing in the Premier League (they finished sixth last term) is being strongly challenged by a number of clubs.

Nevertheless, something had to be done sooner rather than later. The demands of this league are taxing enough without drifting along in a state of limbo. Unhelpfully, though, the available options were pretty limited.

Villa fans, in fairness, wouldn't have got excited on hearing that Sven-Goran Eriksson and Alan Curbishley were up for interview.

So faced with this choice, Lerner had to decide how to take his club forward. Go with the same kind of dictatorial leader who had a firm hand on all football matters or dilute that power by sharing the responsibilities between a coach and director of football.

Ah yes, that ill-fated role, the one that, in England at least, seems to divide more than unite. The one that, more often than not, ends up undermining the manager rather than helping him.

For the best example, just look at Stamford Bridge where someone as talented as Jose Mourinho succumbed to the situation while Chelsea manager.

With Avram Grant forever hovering in the background as a close confidant of Roman Abramovich, Mourinho's position grew ever weaker.

It only took a run of nondescript performances for Abramovich to somehow conclude that Grant represented the better bet.

By the sound of it, a similar structure has been chosen for Villa Park, with Houllier set to be installed as the wise old head.

Someone, in theory, to take the weight off the inexperienced shoulders of Kevin MacDonald, the former reserve team manager who's been holding the fort with varying degrees of success.

As an old Leicester team-mate of Kevin's in the 1980s, I know he isn't the sort to seek the limelight. He was the same as a player, content to do his job in central midfield through an understated but very skilful pass-and-move game.

Now, along with his old mate Steve Staunton, MacDonald looks set to stay on the training ground and stick to what he likes doing best – coaching footballers.

Houllier, meanwhile, can play the higher profile role – talk to the press, liaise with the board, generally act as the figurehead.

Sounds alright in theory, doesn't it? Lerner obviously thinks so or he wouldn't have gone this way.

Yet the pitfalls are many and potentially destructive. Who picks the team for instance? If MacDonald is doing all the coaching he's in the best position to decide who's on form and therefore who should play.

In addition, who decides on the formation and style of play? Again, MacDonald would be favourite to sort that out.

The problems come when Villa lose a few games and Houllier is asked to publically explain what's going wrong.

That's when it gets awkward, for there's no guarantee that the 63-year-old Frenchman shares the same ethos with his younger colleague. Houllier's idea of the best way forward might not square with MacDonald's.

The two, after all, didn't know each other beforehand. Who's to say they will click? It's asking a lot.

And when tensions grow, the temptation is for a director of football to give his own ideas to the board on how things should proceed, which inevitably undermines the bloke on the ground who starts to wonder what's being said behind his back.

Consequently, he starts to feel threatened, fearful of the sack, as the dressing-room atmosphere takes a nosedive.

That's the worst-case scenario. The more beneficial one would involve Villa thriving under MacDonald's astute coaching as Houllier sagely advises from a diplomatic distance.

Until January, however, the management will have to work with what they've got, having been arguably weakened by James Milner's departure.

And that's another thing: deciding on transfer targets becomes that much more complicated when a director of football is involved in the mix.

All in all, then, the future looks uncertain just off Spaghetti Junction. O'Neill's rash exit guaranteed that.

Not only that, Lerner has been forced to pick from a limited pool.

Clicky

"I am happy at Everton; I have always said that," Moyes told the club's website.

"I am at a really good club and this season we have a really good chance and this is where I will be this season."

http://www.setanta.com/africa/Articles/2010/08/11/Huge-boost-for-Toffees/gnid-74525/

I think this was all said before Villa showed serious interest. From what's been said by the General I reckon Everton ave been approached by Randy - Hence the sudden drop in his price at the bookies. What I mean is the speculation has really hotted up this week and Moyes has been for most of the week favorite for the job. He has never mentioned us by name once ie .. " I'm not interested in the VILLA job"

I don't think he will come as he's to loyal to Everton but If I were Randy I'd seriously test there resolve and flex some financial muscle. If Moyes sees they've put a price on his head loyalty goes out the window.