Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

If its Houllier then I am seroiusly worried about the directoin of our club. I know we all like to show a united front when a new boss arrives - But in all honesty, is this absolutley the best that Randy can muster ? - A club with 3 top six finishes, in the toughest league in the world, a massive fan base.

I really hope this isn't true, If Randy this this will stabilise the ship - then I question his judgement. I would fear dressing factions and unrest within weeks, and a downward spiral by the time we hit the transfer window in Jan - and Im not looking forward to houliers transfers - Randy if you are worried about the current debt - ...you ain't seen nothing yet!

I think Houllier would be a good appointment - who of those available would you prefer then??

Thats the problem - of those available. A good chairman will target who he wants - and pursue him, and shift heaven and earth to get him. Villa is a massive club, ok we are not big 4 - but it is still a very big club, and attractive to a alot of managers.

We shouldn't just appoint, who happens to drop in , because every other club has passed them over.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

I see nothing wrong with Houllier myself, everyone is making something out of nothing.

Nothing wrong with Houllier?

You mean other than his previously questionable health, the fact he is 63, has been out the game for a couple of years and out of the Premier league even longer and despite some success at Liverpool spent a lot of money on some utter utter shite.

He may well be the best or one of the better options available but to say there is nothing wrong with his selection or should I say possible selection is staggering.

Health problem aside there is nothing wrong with him as a manager.

We've had managers who have spent millions on utter shite players too....Some players work, some don't....You have to take those risks with whoever you buy, they might look great at other clubs, moving to another country like most of his signings would have had to do, is sometimes too much for a player and his family, that sometimes has a knock on affect to how they play. Not that is an excuse for all of his signings, but you sometimes have to look at the bigger picture.

He has been out of managing football for a few years, yet he has never left being around football, I'm sure he learnt a lot from sitting back and watching in the last few years, which he can add to what he already knew.

I'd happily welcome him to this club.

If its Houllier then I am seroiusly worried about the directoin of our club. I know we all like to show a united front when a new boss arrives - But in all honesty, is this absolutley the best that Randy can muster ? - A club with 3 top six finishes, in the toughest league in the world, a massive fan base.

I really hope this isn't true, If Randy this this will stabilise the ship - then I question his judgement. I would fear dressing factions and unrest within weeks, and a downward spiral by the time we hit the transfer window in Jan - and Im not looking forward to houliers transfers - Randy if you are worried about the current debt - ...you ain't seen nothing yet!

I think Houllier would be a good appointment - who of those available would you prefer then??

What with this available criterion?

If we are limiting ourselves to only targeting managers who are available, basically out of work, then we are giving ourselves very few options.

What I want to see is us go all out for a Moyes or a Jol. Aim as high as possible resort to under hand tactics if need be. Only going for someone "available" is taking the easy option and the work of the weak. Lets throw a bit of muscle around and get what we want.

Whats all this 'who are available' nonsense ?

You don't just buy players that are out of contract do you?, you make offers and they either become available or they don't

No different with managers. If you don't ask you don't know

If we are limiting ourselves to only targeting managers who are available, basically out of work, then we are giving ourselves very few options.

What I want to see is us go all out for a Moyes or a Jol. Aim as high as possible resort to under hand tactics if need be. Only going for someone "available" is taking the easy option and the work of the weak. Lets throw a bit of muscle around and get what we want.

Who has said we've only approached managers who are currently out of work?

General Krulak is still batting the questions in the forums and no doubt reading the threads of doom with 'don't get that manager' and 'don't get that one either' !

GK said:

'I am away for 2 days and the Boards get pretty rough.

'First off, we have and are continuing to look at Managers who are currently employed, are outside of the UK, are not outside of the UK and who are not employed. Simple as that.'

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7505632#ixzz0yZH7AuIF

Yes, one thing is certain, under MON we played very attractive football all the time.

:shock:

:shock: seconded :P

Why the shock? I still can't get over all the cracking play I've seen from Villa in the last couple of seasons. The 1-0 v Hull away the season before last. The 0-1 v Liverpool last season, the 0-3 at Arsenal, the 0-0 at Spurs, both games against Wolves...

Scintillating, spectacular and breathtakingly brilliant from first to last.

What a silly post... how about the Blackburn 6-4 game, the 1-3 at Anfield, the second half away at Reading, the 0-1 at Old Trafford... it's easy to make a point if you ignore the exceptions. Yeah sometimes we ground out dull nil nils, sometimes we didn't create chances...but we aren't Brazil and you shouldn't expect to be wildly entertained every time you go to a game.

Well, I never said there were no exciting games, or that we should expect them all the time.

I was just responding to the idea that "under MON we played very attractive football all the time", which is frankly begging for a sarcastic response. :)

I have heard a little whisper that we may be in for Klinsmann after all. Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I heard. I'm not one to post 'ITK' BS however have reason to believe this to be accurate. Like I said though, just passing on what I have heard. Would do for me....
Please do elaborate good sir :)

Are you religious mate? I just wondered if you were a Praying Mantis?

Sorry, I will go hang my head in shame now :oops:

Mantis' are insects... :shock:

Seriously!! :P

In fact the General said quite the opposite! but of course for some he is only lying and spinning for good PR!

It is all soooooooo easy to get managers isn't it? Does it actually occur to some on here that we are not the best football club in the world to those who aren't connected to it. Those who are managing where they are might be happy and content and not want to move - is that Lerners fault too?

I do honestly despair sometimes wehen reading what people put on here and wonder how many of those are such good businessmen that they are putting their ideas displayed on here into practice and making fortunes :)

My reply was in response to the line " who of those available would you prefer we go for".

I'm not suggesting for one minute the club haven't/aren't approaching managers currently employed.

They should be.Give me a Moyes/Jol/Hughes or even a McLeish over an ageing yesterdays man like Houllier or an Alan Curbishley who happen to fall into the available camp.

a massive fan base

I'm sorry but outside of Britain we have a very limited fanbase.

Didn't someone mention Aston Villa FC have more supporters clubs, worldwide than Manchester United!

You have got to be having a laugh, right? :shock:

Guys I don't know about you but I live in the Far East and it's hard enough to find a Villa shirt on sale in shops, let alone spot people wearing them.

Utd and Liverpool shirts on the other hand are EVERYWHERE.

Woh there are some seriously embarassing posts in the General's thread right now. Thankfully the mods are sharp enough to delete the crap immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if the General says enough is enough and cuts out this particular line of communication between fans and the board.

Im sure the General has heared worse. He can handle that shit blindfolded. Hes an ex Rubberneck afterall (Marine before i get accused of being rude :lol: )

Marines dont throw in the towell because someone does not agree with you. They tend to stand their ground.

Fair play to him 8)

Er i think you'll find it's leathernecks? :shock:

They should be.Give me a Moyes/Jol/Hughes or even a McLeish over an ageing yesterdays man like Houllier or an Alan Curbishley.

And if none of them 4 managers want to come to AV...Then what do you suggest?

Exactly

Nothing to suggest we have not approached for all these managers just people getting into a tizzy.

People need to start thinking about things

In fact the General said quite the opposite! but of course for some he is only lying and spinning for good PR!

He said the opposite of that too, depends which of his posts are made as a fan and which of his posts are made as a board member apparently, go figure

The whole only going for unemployed managers thing came from the General in the first place then yesterday he said the opposite

Nothing to suggest we have not approached for all these managers just people getting into a tizzy.

Sadly there's nothing to suugest we have either. Which is why people are getting in a 'tizzy'

The only names we're hearing from people allegedly ITK, are out of work managers, most of whom havent been employed for a while.

Is it that we have offered the job to some top names who are in work and all have turned us down flat or is it that we havent even tried ?

That's the only question I can see that folks are worried about. If we're that an unattractive proposition to top names then i'm very worried.