Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to suggest we have not approached for all these managers just people getting into a tizzy.

Sadly there's nothing to suugest we have either. Which is why people are getting in a 'tizzy'

The only names we're hearing from people allegedly ITK, are out of work managers, most of whom havent been employed for a while.

Is it that we have offered the job to some top names who are in work and all have turned us down flat or is it that we havent even tried ?

That's the only question I can see that folks are worried about. If we're that an unattractive proposition to top names then i'm very worried.

its totally unreasonable logic though isnt it?

why would we be an attractive proposition to a top name? the top names are all currently employed at top clubs or are way out of our league.

examples:

jol - well he is at the biggest club his home country have ever known.

moyes - why swap the seventh best club in england for the sixth?

mclaren - he is two league games into a new job

hughes - three

fergy, wenger, mourinho - yeah right...

sven, capello, quieroz, scolari...

WHO exactly are you refering to when you talk about top name managers who we should be able to get?

i cant think of anyone with a bigger reputation/name and better track record in the prem who we could realistically attract than houllier.

Er i think you'll find it's leathernecks? :shock:

**** knows where i got the rubber from :lol:

Im suffering with a huge dose of plague at the moment, and its not only my nose that is all bunged up :oops:

We'd a teacher called rubberneck. Maybe that's where you got it from.

a massive fan base

I'm sorry but outside of Britain we have a very limited fanbase.

Didn't someone mention Aston Villa FC have more supporters clubs, worldwide than Manchester United!

You have got to be having a laugh, right? :shock:

Guys I don't know about you but I live in the Far East and it's hard enough to find a Villa shirt on sale in shops, let alone spot people wearing them.

Utd and Liverpool shirts on the other hand are EVERYWHERE.

Nop I'm not having a laugh..someone posted on VT a couple of weeks ago that we have more official supporters clubs than United...

Obviously less fans of course but then being run like a corner shop empire for 25yrs didn't help!

i cant think of anyone with a bigger reputation/name and better track record in the prem who we could realistically attract than houllier.

That's depressed me. I'm going back to bed.

so throw names at me. dont be shy...

you quoted the last line of my post so obviously read the rest of it too but didnt try to answer the question.

its getting a bit like the annual "we need a 20 goals a season striker" debate but no one can actually name one that could do it and we could sign.

Nothing to suggest we have not approached for all these managers just people getting into a tizzy.

Sadly there's nothing to suugest we have either. Which is why people are getting in a 'tizzy'

The only names we're hearing from people allegedly ITK, are out of work managers, most of whom havent been employed for a while.

Is it that we have offered the job to some top names who are in work and all have turned us down flat or is it that we havent even tried ?

That's the only question I can see that folks are worried about. If we're that an unattractive proposition to top names then i'm very worried.

why would we be an attractive proposition to a top name? the top names are all currently employed at top clubs or are way out of our league.

examples:

hughes - three

WHO exactly are you refering to when you talk about top name managers who we should be able to get?

Jol - wanted to go to Fulham - so there is a chance he would find villa an attractive proposition.

Moyes - well in recent years the villa manager has had more available funds than the everton manager - it would be a step up - agreed not a massive one.

Hughes - Pretty sure he would rather be villa manager than fulham manager. Agree the timing stinks.

I don't know but by the laws of probability - if you pursued those 3 with some determination - pretty sure you would get one.

I wouldnt be against the option of Houllier coming in as Director of football. But surely, as director of football, one of his main roles would be to overlook the recruitment of a new manager. Therefore could it not be a possibility that Houllier would come in sometime soon, with the new manager being confirmed further down the line?

examples:

hughes - three

Jol - wanted to go to Fulham - so there is a chance he would find villa an attractive proposition.

Moyes - well in recent years the villa manager has had more available funds than the everton manager - it would be a step up - agreed not a massive one.

Hughes - Pretty sure he would rather be villa manager than fulham manager. Agree the timing stinks.

I don't know but by the laws of probability - if you pursued those 3 with some determination - pretty sure you would get one.

well, with all three of them you are speculating on whether they would come or not and i dont believe that any of them would leave their current jobs for us. jol knocked back fulham eventually and having pledged himself to ajax he isnt going to change his mind on it a week later.

if you are implying that they are your top three targets it is perhaps worth pointing out that they have won/achieved less combined together than houllier did in his time at liverpool. i appreciate that houllier was at a bigger club than those three have ever managed but surely that kind of puts into perspective whether or not they are "top level" or "big name" managers.

I wouldnt be against the option of Houllier coming in as Director of football. But surely, as director of football, one of his main roles would be to overlook the recruitment of a new manager. Therefore could it not be a possibility that Houllier would come in sometime soon, with the new manager being confirmed further down the line?

and what manager of Any quality would work under Houllier ?

Getting a good manager isn't easy - but these convoluted appointments will just make a bad situation worse.

I see nothing wrong with Houllier myself, everyone is making something out of nothing.

Nothing wrong with Houllier?

You mean other than his previously questionable health, the fact he is 63, has been out the game for a couple of years and out of the Premier league even longer and despite some success at Liverpool spent a lot of money on some utter utter shite.

He may well be the best or one of the better options available but to say there is nothing wrong with his selection or should I say possible selection is staggering.

Bah humbug. There isn't a prospective manager out there that we couldn't make a list of 'perceived negatives' about.

1) 'Previously questionable health' - well you said it, previously, he's had no problems in the last 9 years or so.

2) 63 - there have been much older managers and it need not be a detriment to the job, indeed 37 years of managerial experience might actually be a good thing. Wenger, Ferguson, Redknapp 3 managers in the top four that are all over 60.

3) Out the game for a couple of years - well no he hasn't he's been technical director for France, something which also might prove invaluable here.

4) Out of the premiership for a couple of years - So? So has Mourhinho. Means nothing.

5) Despite some success - 6 years 6 trophies, yes please. Despite? IMO if he wins that amount of trophies his player purchases are justified.

6) Spent money on utter shite - See 5, plus he also brought in some great players for the time and developed players like Gerrard. Fair play to the man he also admitted that he bought some shite players after he was ill which also shows he's open to learning from his mistakes.

This kind of post is exactly the problem with this thread, as soon as any manager is mentioned there are a load of people that are all too willing to shoot them down in a hail of negatives, often when they are not even justified.

I see nothing wrong with Houllier myself, everyone is making something out of nothing.

You mean other than his previously questionable health, the fact he is 63, has been out the game for a couple of years and out of the Premier league even longer and despite some success at Liverpool spent a lot of money on some utter utter shite.

He may well be the best or one of the better options available but to say there is nothing wrong with his selection or should I say possible selection is staggering.

Bah humbug. There isn't a prospective manager out there that we couldn't make a list of 'perceived negatives' about.

1) 'Previously questionable health' - well you said it, previously, he's had no problems in the last 9 years or so.

2) 63 - there have been much older managers and it need not be a detriment to the job, indeed 37 years of managerial experience might actually be a good thing. Wenger, Ferguson, Redknapp 3 managers in the top four that are all over 60.

3) Out the game for a couple of years - well no he hasn't he's been technical director for France, something which also might prove invaluable here.

4) Out of the premiership for a couple of years - So? So has Mourhinho. Means nothing.

5) Despite some success - 6 years 6 trophies, yes please. Despite? IMO if he wins that amount of trophies his player purchases are justified.

6) Spent money on utter shite - See 5, plus he also brought in some great players for the time and developed players like Gerrard. Fair play to the man he also admitted that he bought some shite players after he was ill which also shows he's open to learning from his mistakes.

This kind of post is exactly the problem with this thread, as soon as any manager is mentioned there are a load of people that are all too willing to shoot them down in a hail of negatives, often when they are not even justified.

If Houllier if appointed - mid table at best - wait and see.

Looking at the odds - Houllier is 3rd favourite - behind KMAC and curbishley - interesting.

i said something similar a few pages back albeit less detailed and i think you are totally right.

it doesnt mean that houllier will be our next manager and it certainly doesnt mean that he will be a success if he is but no appointment is going to make everyone happy so you have to look at the best you can do. its easy to knock someone but it is kind of pointless in doing so if you cant come up with a better proposition.

and what manager of Any quality would work under Houllier ?

Getting a good manager isn't easy - but these convoluted appointments will just make a bad situation worse.

Perhaps

But atleast, with all the respect due, it puts the appointment into the hands of someone with some real footballing knowledge, rather than businessmen.

Jol - his club are now in the Champions league.

Moyes - wouldn't want to leave because he is loyal to Everton, he wouldn't resign and I'm sure I read somewhere that his club have said "no" when Paul or Lerner asked if they could talk to him, but they could have before he went back merseyside...We will never know I guess.

Hughes - he isn't going to leave Fulham....Not this season I wouldn't think anyway.

I don't think we would get 1 of the 3....We can't be sure they've even tried, only they will know.

If Houllier if appointed - mid table at best - wait and see.

Looking at the odds - Houllier is 3rd favourite - behind KMAC and curbishley - interesting.

Well i will wait and see, the point being however that IF whomever comes in fails, then i will criticise them then for whatever reasons. I won't be waiting like many of the naysayers to smugly say "told you so!".

Many people were saying we would be lucky to get better than 8th with MON here, so whomever comes in I will be satisifed with 8th or higher. As soon as MON went this was always going to be a season of transition.