Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every manager signs a bag of duds at some point. Surely some of the players he signs can't be any worse than Davies, Beye or Sidwell.

Actually imo some of them really were

Salif Diao (SP)

Bruno Cheyrou

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Eric Meijer

Gregory Vignal

Igor Biscan

all fit the bill as being worse

I personally believe the manager should be judged on his best signings than his worst signings. As the previous poster said, every manager buys some junk.

I however believe that MON's best Villa signings are far better from Houllier's best Liverpool signings. I'm only going from memory though and am open to be convinced otherwise.

Christ on a bike, his record at Darlington was terrible! Lets hope he's a better coach than he is manager.

It wasn't any better when he coached Leeds

Indeed, maybe we should be aiming very high for our new 1st team coach.

Every manager signs a bag of duds at some point. Surely some of the players he signs can't be any worse than Davies, Beye or Sidwell.

Actually imo some of them really were

Salif Diao (SP)

Bruno Cheyrou

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Eric Meijer

Gregory Vignal

Igor Biscan

all fit the bill as being worse

I personally believe the manager should be judged on his best signings than his worst signings. As the previous poster said, every manager buys some junk.

I however believe that MON's best Villa signings are far better from Houllier's best Liverpool signings. I'm only going from memory though and am open to be convinced otherwise.

They would probably be Hyppia, Henchoz, Babbel, Hamman and McAllister

Something else I'd forgotten, he didn't really rate Brad Friedel, he signed Sander Westerveld in his first season there and Friedel was given a free transfer after a couple of years of being clearly second choice

He won some trophys though and took over a pretty poor side.

A side that had just finished 3rd and had young Owen, Gerrard and Carragher coming through, how is that poor? The only truly class player he added to those was Hyypia and then rode their backs to a few cup victories.

I'm still hopeful the fact it has already taken the best part of 4 weeks ( and will more than likely take at least a few days more ) points towards us securing the services of a manager currently in work.

I have confidence that the profile of the club with its immense history and the fact we have re-established ourselves as a top 6 club, with three consecutive top 6 finishes, will be enough to turn the heads of either Jol, Hughes, McLeish or even Moyes.

These are all managers with a fair but of experience behind them but you sense a strong desire to achieve and are the right age in terms of building something over the medium - long term and who with decent backing could bring success.

The club is at the moment crying out for someone who can inspire and bring us all together. I just don't see the likes of MacDonald, Houllier or Curbishley doing that.

Staunton just watched us play for Shenstone earlier, and he said that not a soul at Villa had contacted him about coming on board, and basically it was all bollox regarding him........

I agree tismyk, whats going on here?

We started off this process with reports of Jol and Klinsmann and now were in a situation whereby we're scratching around for any sort of manager at all.

Staunton is a laughable idea, and whilst i wouldnt be against Houllier coming in as DOF, this whole thing stinks of indecision by the board. We need a manager, simple as that, otherwise the players will lose all confidence in the club. I am 100% against the idea of some 3 way management team and am now at the point where I'd happily take a figure such as Sven so long as it meant we actually had a confirmed manager.

ill eat my own face if we appoint houllier i think it will prove to be a huge mistake. Were supposedly meant to be building a new dynasty yet Houllier is 60+ and has a heart problem, he hasnt managed at club level for years and his transfer record doesnt enstil me with confidence either i dont want him to sign alot of moody french mercenaries like Nzogbia who i think would be the first player he would sign if he became our manager. People are raving about his achievements at liverpool but look at the players he had at his disposal at the time Michael Owen was in the form of his life had a young and hungry carragher and Steven Gerrard at Villa the core of the squad is english i dont think they would respond well to a foreign manager taking over.

ill eat my own face if we appoint houllier i think it will prove to be a huge mistake. Were supposedly meant to be building a new dynasty yet Houllier is 60+ and has a heart problem, he hasnt managed at club level for years and his transfer record doesnt enstil me with confidence either i dont want him to sign alot of moody french mercenaries like Nzogbia who i think would be the first player he would sign if he became our manager. People are raving about his achievements at liverpool but look at the players he had at his disposal at the time Michael Owen was in the form of his life had a young and hungry carragher and Steven Gerrard at Villa the core of the squad is english i dont think they would respond well to a foreign manager taking over.

Yet people are happy to have Sven be manager at 62?

Houllier has been fine for 9 years, he isn't walking around like he is about to die....You people talk like he is on deaths door.

I'm fed up of it all now.

Regardless of who it is i wish they'd just get on with it now and make the appointment.

It's becoming a bit of a soap opera zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Stop dithering and make a bloody decision.

Either way from all the names mentioned to be interviwed none of them inspire me.

We are in few a few seasons of what can be best described as ...transition.