Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Well now Lerner has said he wants a new manager in place by the 22nd of August we know that they will be taking their time and not rushing to bring in bloody Joe Bloggs from the local 11-a-side team.

I'm PRAYING that they make the right decision and get a good, fair (Davies' words, not mine) manager who is not afraid to change things around and sign quality players based on their ability, not the nation they play in!

im not to bothered about where players come from or where they play. Id just like a manager who takes us to wembley, qualifies for europe and challenges in the league.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading up on Ralf Rangnick after the Newsnow link, and it seems he's had a patchy career. He's done well at Hoffenheim and has won a few lower league championships, but my understanding is that Hoffenheim are very well funded and he's been sacked from both the big jobs he's held (at Stuttgart and Shalke) within a couple of seasons.

not sure if its been mentioned but does anyone know anything about the sort of coaches/managers that Randy has employed for the browns. Has he taken experienced coaches? controversial characters? up and coming coaches? Might give us a rough idea about the sort of person we should expect.

:puke: Didn't think of that; his hiring record with the Browns has been atrocious. Mostly it's up and coming, inexperienced coordinators (read: coaches) getting their first shot, and flaming out (i.e. Romeo Crennell) or young coaches who had a glimmer of success, but were quickly found out elsewhere (i.e. Eric Mangini). MON's been his best "hire" of either team, and he didn't really handle the hiring of O'Neill.

In fact, his handling of Mangini (hiring him first, and then hiring Mike Holmgren as GM/DoF half a year into Mangini's tenure) gives us an idea of what he was playing at bringing in Faulkner- I think he's looking for a coach and not a proper manger.

Sven has a track record of winning things. And his management of England suddenly doesn't look that bad. His first year with City was good — he just fell out with the crook that owned the place. In his career he has dealt with clubs that didn't have big money. He might be the sensible short term appointment. Would he be more risky than Bradley?

We need somebody quickly and it might have to be a stop-gap!

Sven is of the same ilk as Mon. Bit of an ego, likes himself to much. We need more of a Moyes type manager, not a manager who loves himself more than the club.

I've just seen Dave Jones of Cardiff City buying a sat nav in Halfords.

Now don't laugh, but I've spent the last three years at Cardiff University and I've seen a few Cardiff games, and actually Dave Jones isn't that bad. Cardiff play a short, on-the-floor passing game and his record of signings under difficult financial considerations has been very good. Chopra, Bothroyd, McCormack, Whittingham, Burke, McNaughton and McPhail come to mind especially.

Obviously we wouldn't be after any of those players, but the point is that on a limited budget he picks good players in relation to his demands. We could do a lot worse.

Rangnick is about to be sacked at Hoffenheim this year so not for us. I like the Dave Jones suggestion as he is a steady hand and he does a good job most places he manages, Maybe with an assistant like Laursen