Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

I really do not want Sven, he has done nothing at any Club he has been or Country,

also I hope a lot of these names been thrown about are just guesses and there is no truth in them...

Sven is the only manager to have won league and cup doubles in 3 different countries. Sweden, portugal & Italy.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do not want Sven, he has done nothing at any Club he has been or Country,

As much as I share the general sentiment towards not touching Eriksson with a barge-pole, I think Benfica and Lazio fans might strongly disagree with you there.

or IFK Gothenburg who he led to European glory.

Also isnt he statistacally Englands 2nd best manager after Ramsey. Actually did a very good job at England which English fans dont realise. has been all downhill since he left

In an ideal world.. David Moyes. I've stated quite a few times that I'm a fan of the man. Shit football? Whenever I've seen Everton at VP under him they've played cracking football. Good movement with them pinging the ball about. It seems to me he's a manager who plays to his players strengths and tactically is aware and also isn't afraid to make subs!

However, Moyes joining Villa is pure dreamland. He's earmarked for Old Trafford, Fergie has as much as told folks that Moyes is his recomendation to the Manure board.

Jol or moyes are the only ones i'd have 100% faith in to keep us challenging for 4th place.

The rest Jol or moyes are the only ones i'd have 100% faith in to keep us challenging for 4th place.

completely agree bj10

Wouldn't mind Mark Hughes if he was free.
Ummm...

I think you may have been away from the newspapers/TV for the summer? :lol:

Looking at the list of those available, it is pretty depressing.

And there are big problems with some of the favourites. Jol, who is the only one I would really contemplate, has just been refused a move from Ajax, and the reason he has been thinking of leaving Ajax was because they decided they needed to sell some key players to sort out their debt position. Sound familiar?

Moyes - who would be OK if we were just looking to stabilise as a mid-table club - has also complained that he isn't getting enough resources at Everton.

Now, one thing that is clear to me is that any manager who comes in is not going to be given a big pot of money to spend and, indeed, will have to tackle the "wages to revenue" issue, which the General says MON refused to deal with.

So I don't see how we are an attractive club to either Jol or Moyes. (Even if their clubs would consider letting them go at this stage, which I doubt.)

Certainly don't want any of the flashy, "one/two year contract then I'm off" merchants like Eriksson or Klinsmann.

I really wonder if the best bet would be to give Kevin MacDonald, possibly working with Gordon Cowans, the reigns for a defined period - until January, or for the season - and have a more orderly search for a good manager who can genuinely take us forward.

Matin Jol for me, experience and quality. Plays lovely football. Ajax compensation might be a sticking point.

From the left field, how about Bernd Schuster? Just signed a 2 year contract to manage Beiktas, but this is football, stranger things have happened. A top prem job might tempt him away. Did very well in Spain and plays attractive football. His CV is a mixed bag, ranging from excellent to average, but his time at Real Madrid stands out as a high point in his management career.

Michael Laudrup would be a really good choice. Plays good football, speaks English and has a high profile. Only issue is he just signed with Mallorca but they are in a crisis so might be tempted

First of all I have to say I am totally shocked considering the stage we are at that MON has left. I am disappointed in his decision but this does not have to be a total negative. It would be nice to have the new manger in place like 3 weeks ago but there’s nothing we can do about that now.

Whilst MON was a brilliant manager in many respects he is by no means irreplaceable and by no means the perfect manager. This isn’t to say he didn’t do an absolutely fantastic job for us but I dotn think he was the best in the transfer market, over paying for some and perhaps being too coy when it comes to bringing in players outside of the UK.

In terms of replacing MON I can only suggest one realistic manager and that’s Sven. He was the best England manager in years and was only sacked becaue he sh*gged about – so what imo. He did an unbelievable job at Man City and not only signed good players in the most part but also got them along with existing players to way overachieve. He was outed there as the chairman wanted his own manager. I think Sven is a big name that would attract players from abroad as well as from domestic leagues. He has European competition experience and has a proven track record.

I think if the USA coach comes in it’ll be a big mistake. At the stage we’re at we don’t need to gamble with an unknown and to be honest im sure we’re not. Probably just the media putting 2 and 2 together as we have an American owner.

I have thought of someone;

he's an authoritative

Scottish - Scottish managers are generally very good.

Doesn't take shit

Never answers a direct question - good for press conferences

enjoys spending other peoples money

Is faultless (apparently)

Currently not under contract

knows his football

Also isnt he statistacally Englands 2nd best manager after Ramsey. Actually did a very good job at England which English fans dont realise. has been all downhill since he left

Not really true, Capello (67.9% win ratio) is statistically best England manager ever, above Ramsey (61.1%). After Ramsey it's Glenn Hoddle (60.7%, most atractive football as well) and Ron Greenwood (60%) before Svennis (59.7%).

Capello let England down in the World Cup but results have been excellent before it.